View Poll Results: Has this tweak helped you?

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • I see drastic performance improvements!

60 15.63%
  • I see a small performance improvement.

197 51.30%
  • I do not notice any change in performance.

112 29.17%
  • I actually see a small slowdown in performance

6 1.56%
  • My phone is super laggy!

9 2.34%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    heh, nice nice! my Pre is a lot peppier for sure....

excellent tweak
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    For me, if I ever run into a problem with minimal logging keeping me from troubleshooting then I'll just turn it back to default. Simple enough, right?
    Well kind of, I mean it is great if it is an easily reproducible issue then you can revert back to default reproduce the issue again then collect logs.

When I think back to one of the big issues that we have never been able to collect log files for and can't reproduce I think of the alarm clocks that randomly seem to reset. This issue only affects a few people and it doesn't seem to have a rhyme or reason to what is causing it. If you have your logging set to minimal when this issue occurs then your logs are useless to us, changing them after the fact doesn't help at all.

I'm not trying to sway anyones decision it is to each his / her own, but know what you are getting into before you get into it. The log files are valuable to Palm (even the ones that are sent in the background without you ever knowing it e.g. crash reports) but if you don't want to provide the data to Palm then don't..
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    OK I don't really see any significant speed improvements but I have not had any TMC errors when doing Universal or Contact search and believe me I get lots of those with 7000 contacts.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Well, around 30hrs since I changed logging to minimal and doing a reboot. Too many card errors still occur when trying to launch 3D games, but it's more hit or miss now. It seems sandstorm and nova like to lock me out sometimes and brothers in arms2 is most likely to launch of those three.

It still feels overall smoother and a tad bit faster opening apps. I won't reboot till all three of my main 3D games lock me out.....how long will that be?.....edit; didn't last long, was just playing some nova online and the phone froze, so battery pull.....lol, starting fresh now.
    Last edited by bdog421; 06/02/2010 at 05:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I am going to have to agree with HardBeatz.

For a forum of Palm faithfuls I think we are doing ourselves a disservice if we limit logging. The speed improvement is minimal at best and the potential loss for solving a problem is very real.

We have all complained about Palm not listening to the forum. Here Palm is listening and saying leave it as it is. Let's listen.
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post

For a forum of Palm faithfuls I think we are doing ourselves a disservice if we limit logging. The speed improvement is minimal at best and the potential loss for solving a problem is very real.

We have all complained about Palm not listening to the forum. Here Palm is listening and saying leave it as it is. Let's listen.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post

+1
    Slightly noticable increase in speed, but it really shines when i open the virtual keyboard...much needed
  9.    #129  
    Hmmm, I wonder if the people not noticing any changes are overclocking or have many patches or services installed? Interesting results, glad to see this is helping many people, whether dramatically or incremental!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder if the people not noticing any changes are overclocking or have many patches or services installed? Interesting results, glad to see this is helping many people, whether dramatically or incremental!
    I have 30 patches and the Govnah set at 720 and can report that this tweak is a perfect complement to overclocking. The performance boost for accessing media is especially welcome.
    As indicated in an earlier post, I did change my settings on my Verizon Pre & have noticed an improvement. I wouldn't say "drastic" as the poll is worded but I like the term "snappier" used in other posts...

On a negative note, I've noticed faster battery drain. I rarely use my Palm during the day, an occ. check of FB or email but have noticed it will drop 20% drain on my battery over a 2 hour period of no use (since this change). Not sure if this is related to the change but did not have any battery issues prior to it......
    Can you just change it back to stock settings like the uber-kernel? If not,i think my kernel is fast enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Can you just change it back to stock settings like the uber-kernel? If not,i think my kernel is fast enough for me.
    I believe you just tap Restore base profile.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    You can go back, but you will miss all the error events that occur while the phone was on minimal logging..
    I was wondering the same thing.
    I guess if all is stable, why would one need logging?
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.
    I guess if all is stable, why would one need logging?
    Its like insurance, you need logging when things go wrong..
    if you get some app errors, those will not get logged and you hope that you can reproduce the errors again..
    I know, a small risk for this adventurous crowd, with all the patches and overclocking..
    I set my Pre to minimal logging last night and am experiencing a decided improvement in performance. I do have the UK and can now run it at 600Mhz and it feels like 800. Everything runs much smoother and using the web is now flawlessly fast. I'm loving this right now.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I can confirm that this works on the Bell Pre. I did this last night and my phone is a lot more responsive, quicker when unlocking, loading apps, etc.
    YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!

Palm Pre
    Bell Mobility

Patches: 4x4Iconsv1, Add Date MM/DD,Default to Month View, Device Warning Temperatures, Enable Add/Delete Pages, Glass Effect, More Reminder Times, SMS to Two Seconds, Unhide Dev Mode, Unthrottle Download Manager
    I noticed a substantial increase in speed. While I can't quantify it with a great deal of precision, it seems nearly twice as fast when performing certain tasks.

While I understand the downside of minimizing the log file, the speed increase is worth it for me right now.
    did it - experienced noticeable increase in 'snap'. I am overclocked at 800mhz fyi.
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast