View Poll Results: Has this tweak helped you?

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • I see drastic performance improvements!

60 15.63%
  • I see a small performance improvement.

197 51.30%
  • I do not notice any change in performance.

112 29.17%
  • I actually see a small slowdown in performance

6 1.56%
  • My phone is super laggy!

9 2.34%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    One major example that I can think of is the random reboot issue people are experiencing. I have access to about five different pres / pixis all from various launches none of the devices I have in my possession have ever had random reboot. Now we can't reproduce the issue so we can throw the issue to the side and decide not to pursue it since there is nothing we can do if we can replicate on our end or we can find other means to figure out root cause.
    HardBeatZ, do you truly mean "random reboot" (as in the whole os reboots) or do you mean "random Luna restart"?

Because I know a sure fire way to do the Luna restart, documented it in this post: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2447946
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    HardBeatZ, do you truly mean "random reboot" (as in the whole os reboots) or do you mean "random Luna restart"?

Because I know a sure fire way to do the Luna restart, documented it in this post: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2447946
    Luna restart not full os reboot.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Luna restart not full os reboot.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Are you able to reproduce following the steps in that comment of mine to reproduce? I can get it every time by following those steps.

Or are you trying to reproduce without having to have Preware installed?
    I have applied this change, and I have noticed for sure that it's snapier. One test that I used, (as basic as they can get) I simply opened my launcher, having 9 pages, most of them full of apps, before I changed the logging, there would be a slight delay when changing pages with swipe, sometimes would crash the phone if you swipped too fast (i guess), but now, you can scroll through your pages instantly with no delay at all, seems much more stable to me..
    I tried this out today. I'd say there is perhaps a small performance increase. I use uberkernel along with Govnah (screenstate governor 500-720MHz) so it's kind of hard to tell. When I first rebooted the phone, it didn't seem to make THAT much of a difference but I didn't use it for long before loading my profile in Govnah. So what I'll do within the next couple of days is try it without Govnah and seeing how it works.

Ever since using the OC kernels and whatnot, my phone has been pretty snappy lately anyway. Couple that with the fact that I have my phone automatically restart every morning, I usually have a pretty zippy phone. Literally, I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen the TMC message. I do have the occasional slow down, which may or may not be attributed to the logging. But looking at how many people have viewed this thread, the occasional slow down seems to be quite common anyway.

Edit: Oh yeah, this is my 10th post! Yay me!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I need more test time, I only did this yesterday. So far I've had alot more success launching 3D games without tmc errors(very few). I'll vote later, but so far this seems to be a small boost in overall performace at the least.
    I have set logging to minimal. Haven't really noticed much of a change yet. hmmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    I need more test time, I only did this yesterday. So far I've had alot more success launching 3D games without tmc errors(very few). I'll vote later, but so far this seems to be a small boost in overall performace at the least.
    How often would you be able to launch 3D games without getting the TMC error before?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    More than likely this kind of modification will allow people who have underclocked Pre's to see the more effect from this. Overclockers won't notice a difference, but it is there.

As for the Luna reboots, I'm pretty sure that was related to Preware if I recall correctly.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    How often would you be able to launch 3D games without getting the TMC error before?
    After I reboot my phone I can launch 3D games, however if I use the browser or touch any moblyn game all my gameloft games would become locked out. After the logging was set to minimal I've not had this problem as of yet.

Side note I just launched sandstorm, closed it and then launched nova, closed it and then launched brothers in arms. I could never do this before the logging change after I opened the browser or any moblyn game, without first doing a reboot.

Again I'll keep testing this to see if the lock out happens after more use.

And I'm stock, no jstop and no luna manager.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I voted for "small increase in performance". I'm running at 800 so already quite snappy, but IMO this maneuver has noticeably improved on that.
    bdog pre or pre+?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    bdog pre or pre+?
    sprint pre
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    As logs grow larger and larger, it takes more time to open, write and save each log file. Additionally, each open log file also uses memory.
    Actually, specifically in Linux in this scenario, neither of those two statements is true.

The delay incurred by appending a line to a file in flash memory, however, is very real. And if your flash memory is close to full, this is exacerbated significantly.

-- Rod
    Do these logs ever clear themselves? Or do they just keep adding more and more info? I'm wondering if I'm better off periodically clearing logs (like I do with call history and browser cache) if I haven't been having problems rather than setting it to minimal logging. That way if I do have a problem I can be more confident of having that event captured for reporting.
    To all those cocncerned that minimal logging will deter troubleshooting:

keep in mind, minimal logging still logs all errors
    only thing i noticed was NO MORE TMC AFTER USING BROWSER WOOOOHHHH happy day for me... lets see if it lasts
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
    To all those cocncerned that minimal logging will deter troubleshooting:

keep in mind, minimal logging still logs all errors
    It kind of does deter troubleshooting in a since.

I'll explain like this

First here is an example of what a scenario of minimal logging might look like

A crash occurred.

Now with normal logging

A crash occurred while running Pandora while application was attempting to access the web.

So while you are correct a log is still created even with minimal logging there is more useful data in the second scenario.

Note: This is not real life data that is sent from the device it is usually far more complex, and is only intended to be seen as an example.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    For me, if I ever run into a problem with minimal logging keeping me from troubleshooting then I'll just turn it back to default. Simple enough, right?

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I applied at lunch and my pre does seem snappier. The music app is significantly faster and my pre is NOT overclocked btw
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast