View Poll Results: Has this tweak helped you?

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • I see drastic performance improvements!

60 15.63%
  • I see a small performance improvement.

197 51.30%
  • I do not notice any change in performance.

112 29.17%
  • I actually see a small slowdown in performance

6 1.56%
  • My phone is super laggy!

9 2.34%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Although I am tempted to try this, I saw this thread just after my phone spontaneously reset itself and erased /media/internal. I collected logs and sent them off, hoping it might have something useful. If I had turned down the logging I almost certainly would have gotten nothing useful for Palm (although I do not know if I actually did in this case).
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    So far so good for me, my system slow down is at a minimum, I haven't had to reboot or gotten the too many cards warning so far (I would get that with no cards open many times) I hope it stays this way but we'll see.
    Cheers,

Peaty
    I'm always extremely skeptical of these "quick fixes" to the point that I try none of them. I have decided to try this one. I'm hoping for good things.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    wow, I tried this yesterday and I noticed a small improvement. But I wake up today and my phone is screaming fast! Apps are loading up so fast now. I have express fast cards patch and am overclocked but the difference is still impressive. The community here is so awesome. Every week I am finding out ways to unlock the true potential of this phone that palm has decided to hold back. Just look at the 10 pixel dragging radius patch in the patches forum
    I have read maybe a bazillion webOS posts here since the Pre came out a year ago this week.

I have never seen one story of someone saying that they were asked to upload their logs to Palm or Sprint or that they would need logs. And then Palm then used those logs to solve a problem for someone?

Has anyone ever been told by Palm or Sprint that they needed logs from them?

Have they ever used those logs to solve a problem for you?

What is the upside or downsidesfor turning off the RDXD Auto Upload?

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I have read maybe a bazillion webOS posts here since the Pre came out a year ago this week.

I have never seen one story of someone saying that they were asked to upload their logs to Palm or Sprint or that they would need logs. And then Palm then used those logs to solve a problem for someone?

- Craig
    I had Palm ask for my logs when a bunch of us were suffering with the Spring Nav "speech impediment" issue back in December. So, yes, it may come to pass that if you have an issue with your phone, Palm will ask you to upload your log files.
    Last edited by GenericMusings; 06/01/2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: clarification
    Can we start a poll in the beginning of this thread to see how many people have actually had this show a speed improvement or not?
    i did this tweak and have noticed a slight speed up.. i also turned off the rdxd, and nothing has blown up yet.
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    Can we start a poll in the beginning of this thread to see how many people have actually had this show a speed improvement or not?
    Sure, I will add a poll in a bit.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Set logs to minimal yesterday and then manually set the entries that allowed it to NONE. Also turned off the RDXD Auto. Could be placebo, but phone is a bit snappier when opening and closing apps. Also does anyone else notice improvements in battery?

Again could be placebo, but so far so good.
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    Set logs to minimal yesterday and then manually set the entries that allowed it to NONE. Also turned off the RDXD Auto. Could be placebo, but phone is a bit snappier when opening and closing apps. Also does anyone else notice improvements in battery?

Again could be placebo, but so far so good.
    Sadly, no battery improvements for me.
  12.    #92  
    Poll added, happy voting!

- Craig
    If you search on posts from HardBeatz, he just asked for logs in one of the problem threads around here a few days or a week ago. If I have time I'll dig one up. It happens more frequently over on the Palm support forum. If you report a bug over there and lots of others join, chances are that when Palm starts to dig into it, they'll ask for logs.

So, when it comes to bugs, it seems that Palm values the logs. If you have no intention of reporting bugs, the logs may not be useful to you (though Palm may still have an ability to look at logs remotely via the daily backups).

It also strikes me that some of the very people who are most equipped to help with bugs are the same people who are turning off the logs, ie those that know their Pre the best.

I wouldn't disparage anyone who wanted to turn logging down to minimal, but I think it's of questionable performance value, and it may damage Palm's ability to maintain webOS. Each user should make their own choice, but they should also be aware of potential downsides.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Worked nicely on my Pre. Saw improvement with opening most apps and especially with Photos which had always been laggy. Darn Google Maps is still a dog though!
    I see so many saying "WOW!! Amazing!" and others say "Not noticeable...".

Wouldn't it be nice if we had an app that could determine the true performance level? Something that is objective and subject? There are just so many variables in play here that changing one setting and expecting to see miraculous results is hard to believe.

That being said, I tried it and didn't see any noticeable difference.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    While I saw an immediate improvement when scrolling thru my multi-gig music library using the Music(Remix) app, I suspect the most significant performance benefit will be the perfomance NOT LOST over time. As logs grow larger and larger, it takes more time to open, write and save each log file. Additionally, each open log file also uses memory. Now, with fewer writes to the logs and the files themselves being smaller, the performance impact is more cumulative than immediate. An immediate impact might only be experienced if your logs were large and were just cleared. I cleared my logs. Did anyone not seeing a difference, not clear your logs or does the app setting or reboot clear it?
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Just an FYI for you folks, I just talked to Palm tech support regarding a separate incident. I did ask them about applying this setting and if there are any potential issues aside from not having detailed logs. They said, "No, that's fine - you can leave it like that".

@jbg7474, I hear ya and I do agree with your concern. I also understand that the Pre and Pixi users out there are going to be with their hardware for a while before new hardware is released. I've done this on my VZ Pre+ and Pixi+ and I definitely see better performing devices. This is a very nice alternative (if you're content with the improvement) to overclocking. In other words, a safer speed improvement provides more peace of mind than a potentially hardware damaging speed improvement. Besides, there are many, many people out there that aren't going to be turning their logs down to minimum - Just like there are many people that didn't use the iPhone user agent spoof.

- Craig
    So the log files are great resources for Palm. If you set the logs to minimum there is practically zero data that is going to be useful to us. If you never have to worry about sending log files to Palm for troubleshooting. (meaning as well that you never have any intent on helping Palm resolve issues that you may determine need fixed) then this will not do you any harm.

One major example that I can think of is the random reboot issue people are experiencing. I have access to about five different pres / pixis all from various launches none of the devices I have in my possession have ever had random reboot. Now we can't reproduce the issue so we can throw the issue to the side and decide not to pursue it since there is nothing we can do if we can replicate on our end or we can find other means to figure out root cause.

The log files come in handy here during the random reboot issue I have received around 50+ log files and we are actively parsing through the data (although I can't share results or if /when it's going to be fixed) and are able to do higher level troubleshooting than before. With the log files we turned an issue that seemed like not an issue into something that is getting lots of attention.

I don't want to tell anyone not to put their log files at minimum because each to his own, however anyone that sets their log files to minimum and decides not to help Palm troubleshoot potential issues I don't believe said person has a right to complain if an issue is fixed...
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    So can one switch back quickly by just resetting the base profile...or is it easy to copy the base profile when you create a new profile so you can restore if you need to do so later?
    wow.. Skyclimber is almost too fast now.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast