View Poll Results: Has this tweak helped you?

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • I see drastic performance improvements!

60 15.63%
  • I see a small performance improvement.

197 51.30%
  • I do not notice any change in performance.

112 29.17%
  • I actually see a small slowdown in performance

6 1.56%
  • My phone is super laggy!

9 2.34%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by smartvoyager View Post
    When I type ##5647 and hit send. It actually makes a call that "cannot be completed as dialed." When I type ##5647# it does nothing but sit there. I have an AT&T Pre Plus, just in case it helps.
    Ah so it must not work on AT&T/GSM phones. Sorry!
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Actually, it appears you can always restore to the base profile, so you won't need to doctor your Pre. You will lose any events that might have been captured at the higher levels during the time you lowered the logging threshold though. You can also click over to "Set Log Levels" (between steps 3 and 4 in the instructions) and see what the base profile does logging for before you change it via "Set to Minimal".

Setting logging to minimal can only improve performance. The only negative effect is if you have an unusual error situation that would have been captured in the logs at a higher level only (Warning or Info), and you would be inclined to send in the logs to Palm Support.

This is the Palm Developer page for describing the palm-log:
    Palm-Log - Palm Developer Center

and for describing the Info, Warn, and Error levels:
    APIs - Mojo.Log - Palm Developer Center

Let's examine an application that is set to log at Info level.

The application might log this in an error situation:
    info: Opening RSS feed #1
    warn: RSS feed #1 is not XML, converting to XML
    error: Refreshing RSS feed #1 failed

If however the application succeeded at converting to XML, the log would look like this:
    info: Opening RSS feed #1
    warn: RSS feed #1 is not XML, converting to XML

Let's re-examine the same application, but set it to log at Error level (where it would be under "Set logging to minimal"):

The application would log this for the same error situation:
    error: Refreshing RSS feed #1 failed

If however the application succeeded at converting to XML, the log would be empty.

Logging always creates an overhead, but is often an efficient way for developers to track down unexpected errors. However, if you're unlikely to ever send these logs to Palm, there's really no reason to have the system write those logs.
    Ah well. AT&T strikes again!
    There are times that my Pre slows down and get sluggish. It may be just a coincidence but since this no slow downs. I was a little concerned that it said you can't reverse it.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    There are times that my Pre slows down and get sluggish. It may be just a coincidence but since this no slow downs. I was a little concerned that it said you can't reverse it.
    Same here, I always wondered why mine would slow down for seemingly no good reason, even after doctoring.
    you don't have to hit send... either it works or it doesn't. Are you on Sprint or another carrier?

EDIT: Never mind, I just read the post that you're on AT&T.
    I got it to work on my GSM PRE for AT&T. Dial:

#*5647# then hit send.

It works on the AT&T pre. Testing speed now.
  8.    #48  
    Awesome, I will add that to the OP.
    You can return to the original settings by entering the code> change logging levels> click "Restore Base Profile" at top.
    Just set mine to minimal now I just ave to wait for the 1.4.1.1 update to download.
    Just tried it... I notice NOTHING.
    Damn
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    You'll only notice a difference in those apps that have logging set above Error for the "base profile".
    Just did it on my AT&T Pre Plus & it worked with no problem. It really is faster. I could tell right away when I opened up my texts. It opened immediately. I then tried a few apps & they also opened up much faster. Thanks to the OP for this find. Now I don't need to overclock. I'm a happy camper. Now if I could only get the battery life to be better I'd be all set.
    What would happen if we turned off 'Auto Upload RDXD'?

Research RDXD - WebOS Internals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    just did it on my sprint pre. If there is a difference, I thinks is very small. However , Any increase, is good. Nice to learn about another ## setting though.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rem_kujawa View Post
    Seems to be a bit faster to me. So it just sets the poll time for error reporting to palm on different parts of the phone.

i dont beleive it does it does anything for the polling times. it operates like a event log does in windows. lets say pandora crashes and you contact palm about the problem. palm will request to see your error log file. if you have it to minimal then i am guessing it will only record the basics as to why that problem caused issues. to where if you have it set to normal which i am guessing records everything then it will take longer to record events relating to that program.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    It seems a bit faster for my sprint pre too, but opening my videos icon,
    it just flashes and doesn't open. Other apps work ok.
    Alright! Just did it on my Sprint Pre. It appears to have fixed the TMC problem I was having. I'm all the way up to 12 apps open so far. I WAS getting TMC with as little as 1 app open. Hope this maintains.
    Last edited by mohaynes; 05/31/2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: grammer
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Also when you go to the logs page and you hit the collect logs at top left,
    there is an option that says "Set gps fix point".Then it gives options that says
    msbased,standaln, or n/a, which is selected.
    And cold ,hot, warm on n/a .
    Can anyone cipher that?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    msbased, standaln, or tracking, not n/a
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast