View Poll Results: Has this tweak helped you?

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • I see drastic performance improvements!

60 15.63%
  • I see a small performance improvement.

197 51.30%
  • I do not notice any change in performance.

112 29.17%
  • I actually see a small slowdown in performance

6 1.56%
  • My phone is super laggy!

9 2.34%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Is there a way to go back to default setting?

Regards!
    Nokia 1100 - Alcatel OT156A - Motorola C650 - Motorola v220i - Motorola V555 - The Great Motorola V360 - The Amazing Treo 650 - Treo 750 - Original Palm Pre (1.4.5) - Palm Pre2 (2.1) + Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    So, after setting minimal logging I tried to install the WebOSInternal's "Emergency File Verification" patch. The IPKG install errored out with complaints about unsupported changes to five "framework_config.json files (which I've learned are what enables logging for a particular app or service).

Can anyone else confirm this?

Here's the error section of the IPKG Log:
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.emergency-file-verification.postinst 2>&1
    Detected stock files modified via a method other than supported patch technologies:
    File: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.notes/framework_config.json
    File: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.odd/framework_config.json
    File: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.updates/framework_config.json
    File: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.wifi/framework_config.json
    File: /usr/palm/applications/com.yellowpages.ypmobile.preload/framework_config.json
    File: /var/lib/software/tmp/flashing-progress.tga
    Removing package org.webosinternals.emergency-file-verification from root...
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    It might be useful for users that are doing this to create a profile on the device with the standard settings so that you can ensure the base profile doesn't get overwritten with anything. You can name it default or standard etc. Then create another profile for minimal. This will give you the ability to quickly switch between multiple profiles with one push of a button. I have quite a few profiles set up on my device to help debug various issues that arise...
    How does one re-establish the standard settings?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I just tried this, well a variation of it. I actually went to logging levels, and set each program to only log either on Error, or Severe, depending on the options.

Then I went back to Contacts, where I'd noticed some momentary lags in opening contact entries.

All gone. Instant reponse, just like I'd expect. This DEFINITELY makes a difference in the device speed.
  5.    #225  
    Bumping this for the newcomers.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    It works on my GSM AT&T Pre Plus. Snappier performance, but then my Pre is only a week old. I only have installed 33 apps from the app store, am not using any custom kernals, mods, or overclocking, and rarely run more than four apps at the same time. Will see over the next month what happens. So far, so good.
    "And miles to go before I sleep..."
    Guitarist/Composer/Founder- Metal band-"DARK BLU"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/darkblu
  7.    #227  
    Great, glad that it helps fresh phones too.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    hey thankx with my uber kernel on my pixi and now this shes a speed demon
    i noticed a good speed increase all across the board.... thanks for the tip!
    Great work guys. I voted drastic because even with the F105 kernal installed I still see a very noticeable improvement in the rendering of photographs.

edit: It feels like the cards pop out even before I touch the app to launch them now lol. I'm totally satisfied with WebOs now. The F105 kernel is even giving my Pre the best battery life its ever seen so I gotta go drop off a couple donations right now.
    Last edited by stir fry a lot; 06/29/2010 at 09:45 AM.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    So far so good. Everything on my Sprint Pre is a little snappier. Thanks!
    I voted small, BUT, I did notice a drastic improvement when I opened the MusicRemix player as well as my Videos opening much quicker. Goog Maps and photos are a bit faster. TigerWoods golf actually appears to open drastically faster, but this may be in part to the new compcache kernal. I'm running sprint, screenstate 500/800 w/ 32MB on compcache.

Barring the golf game, my findings are after testing w/ the new uberkernal/govnah/ccache combo. I've now got EIGHT cards open including GOLF! I closed golf and got up to 25 cards b4 my first TMC. Also, at 23 cards I called my phone and it received the call while opening another card.

Hmmmm, should I switch to the new iPhone....that I cannot hold the lower left corner w/o dropping the call?!? I think not.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Ready to try this. However, being the cautious type when it comes to my electronics, I'm going to ask a question that I'm pretty sure the answer is "no" to.

Has anyone who applied this logging change noticed any issues whatsoever with Preware or the installation of new patches since applying this logging change?

TIA
    I lurk on here but had to post how great this is!!!

I set the logging to minimum but I also went in and manually changed all the "system log levels" to "none", because the set to minimum logging does not change these by itself.

I turned off auto upload also.

DEFINITE improvement in device responsiveness!!! I am a very heavy user of the pre and immediately noticed the decreased lag doing certain activities. I will say, I dont think it actually makes the pre any fast, but what it does do is get rid of all those 1/2 second to 1 second lags that seem to occur randomly when using the phone.

Example, when swiping to delete emails, I could swipe maybe 2 emails before the device would start to lag and pause for a 1/2 second or full second before it would let me swipe more. With logging off (the way i set it) I just swiped 32 emails in a row and NO LAGGING, NO PAUSES!!! That absolutely amazes me because my phone has always lagged doing that since day 1 and now never does it!!

browser seems faster to go "back", and cards seem to open up faster too. I use my phone A LOT, and i simply dont see the lag or random pauses that I used to get, so overall the phone feels much snappier! This is by far the best thing I have ever done to my pre.

I have been running the logging at min since this came out and no ill effects yet.
    The original post belongs in the Precentral Hall of Fame as an all-time great post... Thanks again to QuarlesLT for bringing this to everyone's attention
    Does disabling auto upload of RDXD do anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Honestly, I wish I had known about this months ago. I love me Pre even more.

Thanks,

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by blaidan View Post
    Ready to try this. However, being the cautious type when it comes to my electronics, I'm going to ask a question that I'm pretty sure the answer is "no" to.

Has anyone who applied this logging change noticed any issues whatsoever with Preware or the installation of new patches since applying this logging change?

TIA
    Nope. I use preware all the time with no issues.
  19.    #239  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Does disabling auto upload of RDXD do anything?
    It may save some battery as the phone won't be using data as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    It may save some battery as the phone won't be using data as much.
    Yeah but ... I read about it and I still don't understand what it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.