View Poll Results: Has this tweak helped you?

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • I see drastic performance improvements!

60 15.63%
  • I see a small performance improvement.

197 51.30%
  • I do not notice any change in performance.

112 29.17%
  • I actually see a small slowdown in performance

6 1.56%
  • My phone is super laggy!

9 2.34%
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    if people would just listen to rod, their pre experience would be much enhanced. Rod is a real smart guy. Without him and jason around, this place would be way different, in a bad way!!!
    the process of placing the device to minimal logging state can not be undone. Could there be any side effects to not having logs? also there is a way to manually sett all logs to error so in a future it could be reverse by ##logs and choosing Change Logging levels and then set log levels and them changing each choice manually to error which will be the same as to changing it to minimal but this process can be change back. If the idea is to speed up the device changing it to error should do that. if the idea is privacy changing it to error should only report error.
    I voted that I noticed a small difference. I didn't feel anything at first until I loaded the Slacker app in half the time it used to take. I also did this on my wifes Pixi. I was hoping it would help speed up the phone app as this is the only thing my wife complains about that is laggy, but it didnt seem to do much. She has gotten the TMC error before, so I hope this atleast helps for that.
    Logging level settings CAN be undone. Repeat CAN be undone. You can even create a logging profile and set the logging level of each component to taste. The minimal setting is NOT turning logging off, it is cranking down logging to only report errors. What can't be undone is if you clear your existing logs without saving a tar "Quick log create".

This is just a manager for application level logging. Google "Log4J" or "Log4Net" for more info. It's not going to hurt your phone. The Palm cops are not going to drop on your front lawn in black helos and confiscate your memories. It's there for diagnostic output only.

I personally have no idea why logging would be generally set to INFO (3rd most verbose). Probably just to be on the safe side. If you're nervous about it and you actually have an issue you need to talk to support about then set it back, recreate the problem to get it to populate the logs then call them.

Levels below are defined in order of increasing priority. Each level includes the message type below it. In other words, if set to INFO, messages of level INFO, WARN, ERROR, FATAL will be recorded.

ALL
    DEBUG
    INFO
    WARN
    ERROR aka SEVERE (The "Minimal Logging" setting)
    FATAL
    OFF

I have mine set to minimal logging. It is definitely more snappy. Some apps will be more "chatty" than others but it's interesting though that it makes such a difference.

This and the reduce drag radius patch are the top two things to do IMHO. This forum rocks.
    Last edited by TeamKillerJKFFL; 06/06/2010 at 08:41 AM.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    this combined with fast card animation gave my pre new life. I am very happy with the results!
    I'm with stockh. I've installed the fast card animation, set minimal logging, installed the compcache kernel and JSTop and a few other patches. My phone is absolutely amazing now. EXTREMELY responsive and better on battery. Doing these things makes it feel like I'm not waiting for the phone to do what I want to do and can get on with my life!
    Good to see the majority leaning towards this being effective. I don't use any patches, and am running stock WebOS so I'm glad there was something that didnt require a patch to help boost performance. I'm still hoping that future official updates to WebOS will bring better optimization and performance.
    This and the reduce drag radius patch are the top two things to do IMHO. This forum rocks.[/QUOTE]

Where can i find this patch? thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    This and the reduce drag radius patch are the top two things to do IMHO. This forum rocks.
    Where can i find this patch? thank you[/QUOTE]

You can find it in Preware under the Mojo catagory.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    No change in performance to me. scrolling still lags a bit and driver framerate drops still. I'm not running any overclocking etc.
    Palm Pro->m505->Zodiac 2->Treo 680->Treo Pro->Pre+
    Same here... don't notice any change at all.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I am overclocked and see quite a bit of improvement after going to minimal log AND clearing my logs. I had never played with this and have my original Pre from day one so figured that perhaps the existing logs were pretty cluttere if not full up. Quite a bit of speed improvement and, just as importantly, no TMC error even when opening up 3D games with other cards open.

I probably would not go minimal logs with a newly released device and a new phone since they might be important to figure out what going on with things, but for year old device and phone, I thinks its fine to drop the logging.

Has anybody done any observations as to difference with JUST clearing out log or going to minimal first (observing improvment if any) THEN clearing log to see if that helps more? Wish I had done that but did both at same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    I am overclocked and see quite a bit of improvement after going to minimal log AND clearing my logs. I had never played with this and have my original Pre from day one so figured that perhaps the existing logs were pretty cluttere if not full up.
    The logs are periodically cleaned up by Linux anyway. Otherwise they would eventually completely fill up the flash disk space which is allocated to the log storage area.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/07/2010 at 09:42 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The logs are periodically cleaned up by Linux anyway. Otherwise they would eventually completely fill up your flash disk space.

-- Rod
    Are they totally cleared or, after they get a certain size, do the older log items get dropped off to leave room for new -- in which case whateve space was allocated to logging would stay always full once it maxes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Are they totally cleared or, after they get a certain size, do the older log items get dropped off to leave room for new -- in which case whateve space was allocated to logging would stay always full once it maxes out.
    The logs are stored in a separate 40MB partition. So it doesn't matter how big they are.

The key to this thread is reducing the time which is spent writing items to the log. The size of the logs is irrelevant.

Code:
    root@palm-webos-device:/# mount | grep /var/log
    /dev/mapper/store-log on /var/log type ext3 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
    root@palm-webos-device:/# lvdisplay /dev/mapper/store-log
      --- Logical volume ---
      LV Name                /dev/store/log
      VG Name                store
      LV UUID                AAY5uI-qlVG-1aAN-UFlJ-Pcxa-CIUH-sOFmE0
      LV Write Access        read/write
      LV Status              available
      # open                 1
      LV Size                40.00 MB
      Current LE             5
      Segments               1
      Allocation             inherit
      Read ahead sectors     auto
      - currently set to     256
      Persistent major       254
      Persistent minor       3
      Block device           254:3

root@palm-webos-device:/# df /var/log
    Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/store-log
                             39664      8068     31596  20% /var/log
    root@palm-webos-device:/#
    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The logs are stored in a separate 40MB partition. So it doesn't matter how big they are.

The key to this thread is reducing the time which is spent writing items to the log. The size of the logs is irrelevant.

-- Rod

Thanks for the explination. Gotta love the Pre community here.
    It might be useful for users that are doing this to create a profile on the device with the standard settings so that you can ensure the base profile doesn't get overwritten with anything. You can name it default or standard etc. Then create another profile for minimal. This will give you the ability to quickly switch between multiple profiles with one push of a button. I have quite a few profiles set up on my device to help debug various issues that arise...
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    It might be useful for users that are doing this to create a profile on the device with the standard settings so that you can ensure the base profile doesn't get overwritten with anything. You can name it default or standard etc. Then create another profile for minimal. This will give you the ability to quickly switch between multiple profiles with one push of a button. I have quite a few profiles set up on my device to help debug various issues that arise...
    are you sure cuz i created a profile, i would like to change it but it still say this can not be undone
    The day after setting my logging to minimal. i do see a small speed increase. When I click things it tends to respond instantly without a half second pause.
    Palm Pro->m505->Zodiac 2->Treo 680->Treo Pro->Pre+
    Installed mine. Zero notice in increased speed whatosever. Totally placebo effect if you ask me. HOWEVER, I notice my GPS now locks on immediately like a normal phone should, so GPS is "cured". Not sure if this is correlated to the logging issue or if Verizon did something on their end.