1.    #1  
    Hi,

I've been biding my time waiting for the Pre to come to AT&T. I have an aging, highly optimized Treo 680 I'm replacing. If I can resolve most of these problems, I will return the Pre this week. I think it is a great product, but it may not be the right product to me. So, can you tell me if either the Pre native or some 3rd party application I am missing can do this:

Database:
    I need something to replace Smartlisttogo as my db program. I'm not using relational aspect, but I do have formula and the like. Having a desktop component would be good.

Security:

Been using SplashID for a decade. I need a program that has both a Pre component and a desktop (best) or cloud solution where they SYNCHRONIZE. The solution of exporting and importing won't work for me, because I update on both my desktop and my Treo (currently)

Calendar:
    I currently use (and love) Datebk6. I need:

Alarms where I have the option of setting the duration, not just accepting from a pre-existing list (i.e., I often set alarms for 65 minutes in advance. I can't do this with my pre).

I also need an unacknowledged alarm to ring again in a specified interval and keep ringing until I acknowledge it.

I need to be able to color code appointments by category (i.e., work, doctor, party, etc.), so I can immediately differentiate. Icons would be nice.

I need floating appointments.

I need to be able to drag vcs from Outlook to my Pre (this is how I get appointments from my work outlook to my Pre). At a minimum, I need a decent cloud or desktop component to enter my appointments.

I know I could try classic. I just don't know whether that is simply a waste of the Pre experience.

I need voice recording (I use it for notes frequently).

I need a note program like notepad on the old Palms.

I guess those are the major ones. I suspect other folks have asked these question. Sorry if they have. I'd like to stick with Palm, but, frankly, right now it seems too limited from the functionality aspect. If I can't resolve this, I'll either stick with my Treo or try Android.

Thanks, in advance!
    Memos I need to be able to at least import my legacy memos (I have 100s).

I need a security program like TealLock.
    some of the apps you mentioned are available for the Pre (SplashID).

There are several memo amd alarm programs in the app catalog too. My favorite clock/alarm app is currently do with a beta expiration bug, but should be fixed by tomorrow (Timepiece).
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Try searching. You will find most of your answers easily. It will be faster than waiting for an answer for each question you posted in this thread.
  4.    #4  
    @drheath - Unfortunately, while splashID is available for the Pre, there is no sync. It only works via export and import which don't work for how I need it.

@webdave - I've tried searching and based on what I've found, I don't think the pre can do what I needs. I was hoping some human search engines (i.e., knowledge holders) might be able to get me more help.
    I believe there are other options than SplashID available, and I swear I read that they sync.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I believe there are other options than SplashID available, and I swear I read that they sync.
    It takes a bit of parsing, but at least the ones I've looked at don't (SplashID and jVault) they export and import. Which means if I make a change on both my pre and my desktop, one will over write the other. What's annoying is that SplashID does this with the cloud for the iPhone, but then it's a much bigger market.
    Have you checked out this one? http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/secustore
    Quote Originally Posted by dsaroff View Post
    Hi,

I've been biding my time waiting for the Pre to come to AT&T. I have an aging, highly optimized Treo 680 I'm replacing. If I can resolve most of these problems, I will return the Pre this week. I think it is a great product, but it may not be the right product to me. So, can you tell me if either the Pre native or some 3rd party application I am missing can do this:

Calendar:
    I currently use (and love) Datebk6. I need:

Alarms where I have the option of setting the duration, not just accepting from a pre-existing list (i.e., I often set alarms for 65 minutes in advance. I can't do this with my pre).
    There is a patch for that you I have mines set for 90 minutes the patch could easily be customized to meet your need of 65 minutes
    I also need an unacknowledged alarm to ring again in a specified interval and keep ringing until I acknowledge it.
    lclarkjr has a patch for that calendar repeat notification
    I need to be able to color code appointments by category (i.e., work, doctor, party, etc.), so I can immediately differentiate. Icons would be nice.
    Uber calendar does the icons not sure if it is what you want or you could just make a new calendar for each category you have and color code those I have seven calendars.
    I need floating appointments.
    Not sure what this is
    I need to be able to drag vcs from Outlook to my Pre (this is how I get appointments from my work outlook to my Pre). At a minimum, I need a decent cloud or desktop component to enter my appointments.

My outlook syncs great with my Pre so I just enter the appointment in the calendar in outlook
    I know I could try classic. I just don't know whether that is simply a waste of the Pre experience.

I need voice recording (I use it for notes frequently).
    zcorder is available.
    I need a note program like notepad on the old Palms.
    Several note programs some sync to google docs
    I guess those are the major ones. I suspect other folks have asked these question. Sorry if they have. I'd like to stick with Palm, but, frankly, right now it seems too limited from the functionality aspect. If I can't resolve this, I'll either stick with my Treo or try Android.

Thanks, in advance!
    Memos I need to be able to at least import my legacy memos (I have 100s).
    This thread discusses the importing of memos http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post2201777
    I need a security program like TealLock.[/QUOTE
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the great information. I'm afraid I've decided to return the Pre...I find it too limiting. I'm going to stick with my Treo for now, and look at the Android phones as they come down the pike.
    for how established you are with the treo..i dont think any new phone will fully replace what you have going on, as you have such specific needs, i think at somepoint your gonna have to make sacrifices and use alternatives in some cases. Not saying that you cant get everything you want.

and as from the list..there only seem to be 3 things (i think could be more could be less) that cant be done in webos to how you want..and for those..i think using classic would be the smartmove. that way your using most of the stuff on webos..and for the odd thing you boot up classic. Not wasting the webos experience then..
    Ok ill say it. Stick with what ya got and enjoy the free old phones and parts on ebay. Why switch? Hell buy a ipad if you want 2010 technology, wifi , internet etc etc. oR A TX for wifi .

We dont have to be slaves to tech, we should be the Masters.
    Buy Classic and Keep the card open. That would be the smartest thing to do. It really isnt that bad. Classic still alarms for you if you have it enabled in Classic Preferences.

Please... dont go back to your Treo... Try embracing the future with webOS and Cloud syncing...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post
    Ok ill say it. Stick with what ya got and enjoy the free old phones and parts on ebay. Why switch? Hell buy a ipad if you want 2010 technology, wifi , internet etc etc. oR A TX for wifi .

We dont have to be slaves to tech, we should be the Masters.
    You know, Motorhead, you picked the option I went with....I'm keeping my old phone (it just works the way I need it to), and I was given an iPad as a gift (and surprisingly love it). I'll guess I'll keep the treo for a while more, though I may look at the iPhone4.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Buy Classic and Keep the card open. That would be the smartest thing to do. It really isnt that bad. Classic still alarms for you if you have it enabled in Classic Preferences.

Please... dont go back to your Treo... Try embracing the future with webOS and Cloud syncing...
    I appreciate your thoughts, but I've turned it back. Aside from the things I found missing, I had other problems: keyboard lighting was so dim I had problems reading it in the dark; while the screen is larger than my Treo with all the UI prettiness the space for text is less and the text is smaller (hard for my middle-aged eyes). I DO think it is a nice phone, just not for me. Plus, it would just take me too much effort to get all the functionality I have in my treo (and some I couldn't get, like syncing SplashID).

Thanks though...I've led the curve for a while, I guess it won't kill me to follow the curve for a bit. I have 3 spare Treos!
    too bad u didnt give the pre a chance, i also switched from the 680 which i loved. there were only two things i missed about my 680 that my pre did not have but i adjusted quickly and now find that i live very well without them (calender default to monthly view and not being able to download ripped cd's to pre via wmp) and i'm sure there is a patch out there for that. the pre is so many times better on so many levels, it was different adjusting to gestures but took literally minutes to get proficient in its use. i even taught my wife how to use hers, an epic tale in itself. good luck with your treo, sooner or later you will have to change and the pre will be the best choice.