1.    #1  
    I have a Palm Pre and am running Ubuntu 10.04 and am wondering how to install homebrew apps and themes?
    Wondering the same thing.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    1. Make sure you have the latest version of Java installed
    2. Download WebOSDoctor and WebOSQuickInstal
    3. Install Novacam for Linux
    4. Right click on the WOSQI icon and set properties to launch as an executable
    5. Enjoy

I might have missed something but I didn't have much trouble getting it installed.
    Yea, all of the homebrew stuff runs off of Java, which is delightfully cross platform.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Lucid Lynx is out? Better go make a new partition...
    Yea and Fedora 13. I'm running Lucid Lynx right now and I haven't used Windows 7 in over 2 weeks.
    That's exciting! I know what I'm installing on my linux laptop tonight I love Ubuntu.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    1. Make sure you have the latest version of Java installed
    2. Download WebOSDoctor and WebOSQuickInstal
    3. Install Novacam for Linux
    4. Right click on the WOSQI icon and set properties to launch as an executable
    5. Enjoy

I might have missed something but I didn't have much trouble getting it installed.
    That is pretty close to my experience - I would recommend going to Applications | Ubuntu Software Center - then search for and install the "novacom" package right after you have verified you have the latest Java runtime, (there are a couple of "flavors" of java available). Alternatively you can search for/download/install "palm-novacom_1.0.46_i386.deb" (which is what I used for the previous version of Ubuntu).

I created a folder below my Ubuntu home directory named "palm" (creative huh?) and put the latest version of WebOSQuickInstall.jar in it along with the appropriate version of WebOSDoctor.jar for my carrier and current version of WebOS. That folder now also contains the latest version of WebOSRepairUtility.jar

As of Ubuntu 10.04, you now have to set downloaded "jar" files to be executable in order to run them. No problem, navigate to them with nautilus, right-click on any .jar file and select "Properties". Change the file properties to be executable by placing a check mark next to that options and move on to the next .jar file until all are set. (You can do this all at the command line but I am old and lazy).

To run WebOSQuickInstall.jar (after connecting my phone via usb and selecting "Just Charge") - I right click on it from nautilus and select "Open with OpenJDK Java 6 Runtime" (which is the Java package I chose to install) and it works like a champ. Virtually everything else works exactly as it would under "Winders" or OSX..

----------

For just moving files back and forth via USB - I simply select "USB Drive" rather than "Just Charge" - and nautilus works like a dream. (The little cell phone image they use for a PALM PRE icon on my desktop looks kind of "antiquated" though. ).

I have added folders in the "default" directory nautilus opens up in when you double click on the PALM PRE icon (/media/internal) like "docs, pdfdocs, ebooks, music, ringtones," etc. (I normally stick with lower-case only - presumably both Ubuntu and the Palm Pre are "case-sensitive" and I don't want to strain the old brain cell any more than is necessary).

You can add sub-folders to help keep your files organized, (for instance under "docs" I have "cooking", "disaster prep", etc.)... WebOS will simply find and use the files themselves, ignoring any structure you add to your personal file system. I additionally added a "docs to go" folder and filled it with a bunch of my old lists and GTD stuff that are now maintained in the cloud on Google Docs.

Like Ubuntu Linux - "it just works".
    Last edited by oldgeekster; 05/31/2010 at 06:21 PM.
    I'm going to toss in another two cents here - it very much behooves you to get WebOS QI installed and play with it long enough to understand the ins and outs of using it. Later on, you will most certainly take advantage of the ease of using Preware to install/un-install homebrew patches and apps and I most certainly would promote doing so - but remember, WebOS QI, and particularly WebOS Doctor and WebOS Repair will work for you when your phone won't let you use Preware for any of a seeming myriad of reasons... Think "Boy Scout and be prepared". If you don't now, you probably will later.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Yea and Fedora 13. I'm running Lucid Lynx right now and I haven't used Windows 7 in over 2 weeks.
    Same here
    Time to get VIRAL