Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Every time I connect my Pre to my PC in USB mode, I get the error below when I try to eject. So to be safe, the only way I am ever able to safely eject is to shut down my PC and then remove the USB cable from the port. Is this something I just need to learn to live with, or is there a fix? I've shut down every other open programs and still get this error. It's not a major deal as I only connect the phone and computer on an infrequent basis, but still an annoyance each time I do and then realize this issue when I am ready to disconnect.

Happening to anyone else?

Palm IIIc --> m515 --> Tungsten T3 --> Centro --> Pre Plus --> HP Touchpad!!!

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid
    Are you using webos quick install??
    Do you happen to have an Explorer window still open viewing the contents of your Pre?
    Last edited by NachoB; 06/01/2010 at 06:52 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    It is because you are clicking on the palm novacom. When you go to the usb icon, do you get 2 options? If so only click the eject mass storage f/g/h and not the palm novacom. It is fine to remove after ejecting the mass storage device.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    You can also eject safely by right clicking on the Pre icon in the My Computer window.

Ron
    truly, you only really risk your data when writing to the phone while you pull the plug. if you're sure you're not writing anything to the drive, feel free to disconnect. I have even disconnected when I forgot I was copying music files to my phone. all that happened was that Luna restarted, and I got a pop up saying I really shouldn't do that anymore.

The big issues with the ejecting/safely removing comes into play with advanced, journaled filesystems, like NTFS, HSF+, and ext3, to name a few. many operating systems, especially unix-based OSes will not mount these filesystems if they were not ejected safely. You end up having to force them to mount and ignore the journaling if you want to mount it again.
    Since the USB partition mounts as FAT32, which is not journaled, you won't run into such problems
    Phones -> Motorola i60c, i80, i215, i730, i880(maroon), Samsung Instinct(SPH-M800), Palm Pre

Palm Devices ->3com Palm III, Palm m100, m130, m500, Zire 71, PalmOne Zire 72, LifeDrive, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    You can also eject safely by right clicking on the Pre icon in the My Computer window.

Ron
    This is the correct way to do it. As soon as you click 'Eject' your Pre will exit USB mode instantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    This is the correct way to do it. As soon as you click 'Eject' your Pre will exit USB mode instantly.
    If the OP is using Windows 7, this is the same as simply going to the 'new' task manager, right clicking on the USB icon and selecting "Eject Palm Pre".

OP... also check any AntiVirus settings to see if they are set to scan devices when connected. It may point to the Novacom service, but it also may be that service hasn't stopped yet because a scan is in process. Just another possibility....
    I'm using Windows 7. If right-click the USB icon in the tray and try to eject, it will come up with the error the OP was having. If you go into My Computer, right-click the Pre and eject it from there, it will instantly exit USB mode.
    I'm using Windows 7 (64bit) and don't have the issue... BUT, I do get this all the time on my XP machine at work. I've been searching for a cause/solution to this for a while now, but all threads everywhere only refer to an issue with Vista. There's got to be some little 'hook' somewhere that can be addressed. And the search continues...
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'm using Windows 7 (64bit) and don't have the issue... BUT, I do get this all the time on my XP machine at work. I've been searching for a cause/solution to this for a while now, but all threads everywhere only refer to an issue with Vista. There's got to be some little 'hook' somewhere that can be addressed. And the search continues...
    Are you getting the same error as the OP on yourr XP machines? You need to stop the Novacom service first, then you should be able to eject the Pre without a problem.
    Yes I realize that... but a manual stop of the Novacom services shouldn't be required. Just a bit annoying. But luckily I rarely plug my phone into my work computer (use TS for charging), so the issue isn't big for me. I've never had a problem with my home computer.

The only REAL issue I get is that when I have my Pre plugged in to my PC, it kills the ability to communicate with my External Hard Drive. If I want to plug the Pre in, I have to unplug the USB from the External HD first - then I can access my Pre without knocking off my HD. If I don't unplug the HD first, I can't access it when the Pre plugs in. The only way to get it back to unplug the Pre and restart the computer. Incredibly annoying.
    My netbook runs XP and I never get this error, I always eject via Windows Explorer.