Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I tell you tethering really is a lifesaver. I am finishing up a class and had a meeting with the professor the college doesn't have schoolwide wifi so I fired up my pre opened up my tether and was able to get on my laptop and to go to dropbox and get the files I needed.
    Well no luck even after installing freetether service and enabling IP forwarding.

Tethering remains an unattainable holy grail for me thusfar....
    Are you running the latest version of mytether? and you have to install both free tether ipks
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Are you running the latest version of mytether? and you have to install both free tether ipks
    Yes I deleted everything and went back to the mytether donor forum and downloaded the most current real-tether-installer file and reinstalled everything from scratch. Somebody on another thread told me I needed to check the USB mode settings in MyTether and make sure DHCP was turned on, and then it would work. Tried that, it didn't help. Tried it both with USBnet on and off, didn't make any difference.

Installed both the IPD's you mentioned, did a full restart on my phone. Now on the "freetether" app, I have IP forwarding enabled as you suggested. Something called "NAT" is also enabled, but I haven't tried turning this off.

My laptop can connect to my Pre just fine, just without internet access. When I try to troubleshoot the connection it always ends up saying something like "AoNet does not have a valid IP configuration". Under the connection properties IPv4 and IPv6 both say "no internet access". Have tried changing or tweaking any setting I can think of without any success.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    jeffcoat on free tether do you have an ip address? and on the bottom of the wifi tethering screen in my tether does it say your device is connected. I am posting this from mytether connection.
    I changed my network name to something else don't know if that matters. Have you tried the repair connection on the laptop?
    jeffcoat on free tether do you have an ip address? and on the bottom of the wifi tethering screen in my tether does it say your device is connected. I am posting this from mytether connection.

I changed my network name to something else don't know if that matters. Have you tried the repair connection on the laptop?
    Freetether shows an IP address on the Main screen, it's 174.157.176.189 and both IP forwarding and NAT are enabled. When I tap the USB icon on the bottom bar, the IP address is 192.168.0.202 and when I tap on the WiFi icon the IP address says (null). (Same for BlueTooth but I don't have any way of trying BT tethering).

On the bottom of the MyTether screen, it does show a device connected but I can't tell you what it is right now since I'm not using that connection. (I'm back at the hospital right now using wifi).

How do I find "repair connection" on the laptop? Never saw that option anywhere, did go through "troubleshoot connection" and it didn't work.

One more thing, I was looking again on the mytether.net forum, and noted in a different thread that I'm supposed to have mytether service v 1.1.8 instead of 1.1.7 - but I'm not sure which one I have.... do you know how to check?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

what operating system is on your laptop? In windows xp To repair the network connection you go into network settings and right click on your wirless connection and it will disable and renable your connection among other things. If you went to the donor forum you should have 2.1.1 installed. You can hold the orange button while tapping the icon for any app to see what version the app is.

Do you have any I'm services could probably walk you through quicker that way.

On a side note I pray whomever you are visiting in the hospital, I think you said mom can't remember, gets better.
    Windows 7 on the laptop.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Did you have the previous patch version installed? If so when you removed it did you remove the folder in the /media/internal location?
    I am running windows xp but here are some posts from windows 7 users.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post2284945

Found one thread that shows how to completely uninstall (my recommendation and then start over with donor version install.

just evaluated the code myself and there is a problem. if you ever tried to uninstalle the app via quick install or orange+tap....there will be three files left on your file system.

net.aonic.tether.jar in the /usr/lib/luna/java/ folder

net.aonic.tether.service in the /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/ folder

net.aonic.tether in the /etc/event.d/ folder

i would have to recomend that aonic provide an uninstall script via exe or command line to fully erase MyTether for the people that want it completely off. in the mean time use these commands in terminal:

Code:
    rm -f /usr/lib/luna/java/net.aonic.tether.jar
    rm -f /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/net.aonic.tether.service
    rm -f /etc/event.d/net.aonic.tether

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post2310006

Windows 7 user http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post2243338

) Once installed, restart your Pre (hold the power button and select Power then Restart
    3) Once restarted, open mytether and enable WiFi. If it asks you to remove a patch, then remove the patch, wait like 10-15 seconds then reset your phone again after closing mytether. I decided to change my network name and disable encryption for the time being. If you want to keep encryption, make sure your passcode is exactly 13 characters otherwise it won't work.
    4) Go to the Windows 7 wireless network selection, and wait a second and/or refresh, and you should see your Pre Wifi network listed with a yellow !
    5) Connect to the network via Windows and now wait. Go to your PalmPre and wait for your PC to show up in the "Connected Devices"
    6) Once it shows up, open up your web browser and go to the website of your choice. You computer should lock in an IP address and you should be accessing the internet through your Pre as a wifi hotspot.
    Can I just find those 3 files with Internalz and delete them? I'm not sure I know how to run terminal commands.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

you should be able to do that as long as those files aren't in the folders internals protects.
    Internalz won't let you delete, attribute is "read only" and couldn't change.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

I think I'm in business right now -

Deleted MyTether using orange+tap and figured how to run those 3 command lines in WOSQI. Then I reinstalled MyTether from the latest installer.

To try it out, I disconnected from the hospital wifi, and was able to connect to the Pre with internet access. Shows it as AoNet 2, public access. On the Pre, connected devices shows User-PC (before it just showed a long alphanumeric - I think hexadecimal- code).

The real test will be if I can tether somewhere where I DON'T have wifi right there as a backup.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

jeffcoat glad you are up and running.
    Someone help, been trying all weekend to get this working. I have mytether, and freetether installed on pre. I have palm sdk installed on pc. I plug in and select just charge.

I then get the add new hardware wizard and follow the directions i read. I have a linux.inf file on my desktop that im supposed to point it too but it wont show up under browse. What am i doing wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by switchedgear View Post
    Someone help, been trying all weekend to get this working. I have mytether, and freetether installed on pre. I have palm sdk installed on pc. I plug in and select just charge.

I then get the add new hardware wizard and follow the directions i read. I have a linux.inf file on my desktop that im supposed to point it too but it wont show up under browse. What am i doing wrong?
    Do you have the Pre in developer mode?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Do you have the Pre in developer mode?
    GULP hmmm dunno, should it be on or off?

its on right now
    Last edited by switchedgear; 06/20/2010 at 07:16 PM.
    should be on.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

jeffcoat glad you are up and running.
    Well just as I feared, once I got back to the house away from any wifi access, same problem - cannot connect to internet.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast