Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I saw a woman on the street in New Orleans the other day showing off her Pre to a couple. A couple of people, as in, a Couple. I was driving my taxi by and saw her demonstrating the flicking up gesture to close a program.

I realized that I have only seen women using the Pre. In my cab some women have had Pre's, no men.

Verizon has it right, it needed to be advertized to women.

Now, I liked the original ads. Monks, aethereal woman. She was NOT creepy. I guess you hip hop generation types can't connect. But that is the current base. Artsy ads are demonstrated to not work. I recall the ( Nissan ) Infinity intro ads. Same thing.

I have to cancel my audible subscription. They won't support WebOs and I don't carry a palm os machine anymore.
    k
    Please, please, please stop generalizing about which gender a phone is "made" for. Techies and non-techies alike come in both genders. People who use the Pre/Pixi come in both genders. Either get a phone because you like it, or don't.

/end rant
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    you should be happy... Cause that's an easy IN.... No man can screw up that ice breaker...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_singh View Post
    you should be happy... Cause that's an easy IN.... No man can screw up that ice breaker...
    HAHAHA +1! I was hating myself for even bothering to read this thread until your comment!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlyall View Post
    Verizon has it right, it needed to be advertized to women.
    Remind me how many phones Verizon sold during that ad campaign?
    I'll humor the OP. I don't think it was meant by Palm to be that way, and Verizon is generalizing. I don't know why Palm never told them to stop with that. Although they also fed into that with their own ads, which could have influenced Verizon. But much of the interest on this forum is from men. Well it is smaller and curved, and should fit easily into purses. I don't know if women like it more or not though.

I've seen 2 guys with Pres. And about 3 women. To be honest, I don't see Pres a lot period though. Maybe that's the wrong word to use in this thread, lol.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Please, please, please stop generalizing about which gender a phone is "made" for. Techies and non-techies alike come in both genders. People who use the Pre/Pixi come in both genders. Either get a phone because you like it, or don't.

/end rant
    Palm did this to themselves IMO, which is the only reason why I humored the OP. We know that, but what kind of message did those original ads send? And also allowing Verizon to use those type of ads. I'm not entirely surprised someone thinks that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Wow.

Are you that insecure that you honestly spend so much as one fleeting second of your life worrying that someone, somewhere, will think a phone someone owns might be "a woman's phone"?

How sad for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Palm did this to themselves IMO, which is the only reason why I humored the OP. We know that, but what kind of message did those original ads send? And also allowing Verizon to use those type of ads. I'm not entirely surprised someone thinks that.
    You may have a point. I just get frustrated 'cause one of these "women's phone" threads pops up every couple months, yet a majority of the people on this site are males who use the Pre or Pixi...sigh. I wouldn't mind so much if the basic mindset behind these threads was something other than..."because women wouldn't be into a power user's phone..." or some such.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Has anyone seen my pants?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    Has anyone seen my pants?
    If I said yes, people would probably start talking.

Who cares who a product is marketed to. I got a Pre because I liked it. If I could only get it in hot pink, I'd be carrying a hot pink phone. I also want to marry my blender.
    Ya know I never thought about it. Other then me the other people I know who have a PRE are woman. Was at a wedding recently and a woman saw my Pre and said wow a PRE. and took her Pre out. Ofcourse she mentioned she was getting rid of it becasue she hated it. ( she had alot of the issues people here have). Some of my friends call it a girly phone. I think it has alot to do with the fact that its small and looks like a compact. I cant think of why otherwise people think its a girls phone. I never thought of phones by gender unless they were Pink etc. My wife has that Pink Sanyo phone with the Flowers on it. Now thats a womans phone. The PRE is a universal phone.
    I've seen as many women with Pres as men, which is to say, not very many. I guess if the Droid is an example of a masculine phone, then that would make the Pre more feminine. And I guess the iPhone would be somewhere in between.

But whatever. I really don't think many people assign gender to phones unless they are specifically intending to appeal to a particular gender (by being pink).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    i agree with the op, the pre is definately a girlz phone... it was marketed that way
    It is a girls phone, I gave mine to my wife and EVO 4g will soon be mine!
    Help a guy thats down and out on his luck..
    Actually, Palm did say it was made for women. Well, they didn't really just come out and say yah it's a woman's phone, but when asked about the mirror behind the phone, I think Ruby said it was for people who liked to look at themselves. Getting away from the top, I think Palm should get rid of this stupid clicker ball at the bottom and extend the screen down a little more and then put and led light on top of the screen for notifications and stuff. Make it so the light changes color depending on what kind of alert it is...Sounds like a win for a new phone. Just keep it mind that if the screen is too big, with this form size, whenever you drop your phone, expect your screen to pop out too lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Actually, Palm did say it was made for women. Well, they didn't really just come out and say yah it's a woman's phone, but when asked about the mirror behind the phone, I think Ruby said it was for people who liked to look at themselves.
    then that makes Palm sexist O.O because er.. if the Pre was intended for women, then what about the Pixi? I'm not sure the name screams "MAN!"
    if the Pre and the Pixi were made for women, then what, pray tell, is the webOS device for the everday man supposed to look like?
    and since when do phones have genders? last time I checked, they don't coitus >.>

..coz if they did, that's be freaking sweet..

of course, I can understand why someone would say the Pre is a girly phone compared to the Droid, with its robust squarish figure, supposedly hard-core OS, and indifferent keyboard.
    ... and the iPhone is an amateur kids phone.. the BB is a corporate phone and the droid is a techy geek phone?

The point i'm making here is who gives a flying rats ***** what society deems an electronic device is.

I'm so sick of the sheep mentality that is in this society.

You're an ***** if you go around analyzing what phone a person has and stereotyping them and you're an insecure person if you go around worrying what people think of your phone.

At the end of the day, it's just a phone

If you like it, get it, enjoy it and live your life
    Last edited by kjb86; 05/31/2010 at 09:42 AM.
    Hey! Are you calling me a chick?????
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast