1.    #1  
    I would pay 10 bucks if a developer would achieve this:

When the PRE is not used (in my righthand jacket pocket) and an email arrives , the pearl (centerbutton) starts blinking 2 times in a 4 seconds period. But - as the PRE is in my pocket I can't see it.

Wouldn't it be good just to grab the PRE with my right hand in my pocket, then to push the pearl and then receive a short vibration in case an email has arrived or a SMS?

This would save me several minutes a day to take out the PRE of my jacket pocket, to watch on the (dark screen) or to switch it on and then to put it back into the pocket

But the best side-effect would be: nobody wouldn't take notice of my operation to find out, that an email has arrived. I could continue to talk to my opposite partner without taking off my eyes from him, while my right hand is going into my jacket pocket, hits the pearl and "feels" the virbration OR not. If an email actually has arrived I can apologize and read it officially.

This would be for me the best app at the moment, because it saves time and fuzz. - But some people say, it can't be done technically in WebOS.

Is there anybody who can answer this question?

Gulash
    That's a great idea. However, how would you implement it on a Pre Plus that doesn't have that button?
    Seeing how it involves the center button, I highly doubt a patch will be made. The center button tends to be the unknown, impossible to patch aspect of WebOS.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    That's a great idea. However, how would you implement it on a Pre Plus that doesn't have that button?
    That is exactly the reason why I bought 2 PRE with "pearls". It's genious to have a mechanical button instead of a mere sensor.

To answer your question: it would not be implemented. But there are some millions of PREs with pearl on the market.

And perhaps, if this feature is getting reality, the pearl will come back one day to the PRE plus.

In my eyes this feature would be a huge advantage over all other smartphones on the market. I would not need to take the device out of my pocket - like a sick maniac greedy to see what happens on the screen at every moment. It bothers me all the time when I'm doing it.

Innovation is always the way to adapt needs.

Gulash
    Last edited by gulash; 05/31/2010 at 12:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Sucks for them, amirite? haha

It's a good idea but I don't think the current sdk gives us access to that center button.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  7.    #7  
    Would there be a chance to change it one day? Or shall we live forever without that marvelous possibility for the PRE?

Too bad.

Gulash
    Quote Originally Posted by gulash View Post
    Would there be a chance to change it one day? Or shall we live forever without that marvelous possibility for the PRE?

Too bad.

Gulash
    That's up to Palm. Seeing how other carriers that carry the Pre don't have the center button, I wouldn't expect it in the SDK anytime soon.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    That's up to Palm. Seeing how other carriers that carry the Pre don't have the center button, I wouldn't expect it in the SDK anytime soon.
    I think it's quite possible in the near future. It's not that hard for Palm to implement though the real problem is the difference between Pre and Pre Plus since the center button only works if the screen is on for the Pre Plus.

10.    #10  
    They could implement it at least for the PRE. But that feature would be so cool und useful, that nobody would buy a PRE+. That's the problem.

But Palm made a mistake to eliminate the pearl. It is hi-tec and useful. As we see now.

Thinking is only valuable if it is done smart.

Gulash
  11.    #11  
    Come on, guys. Apollo 11 happened 1969. Now it's 2010.

The pearl, the pearl .....

Gulash
  12.    #12  
    I'm shure, Apple will have that feature in one of their I-phone devices in the near future.

Why not Palm (HP)?

Gulash
    Why not just enable vibration for email or sms alerts and use the patch to have repeat notifications? Then it would vibrate every minute or whatever duration you decide.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Yeah, right now, that button can't be remapped.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Would it be possible to do this with the power key? One press already wakes up the pre and shows any notifications on the lock screen, could it be programmed to make the phone vibrate or maybe two presses?
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.