1.    #1  
    Hey all, I'm really chomping at the bit to pick up a no contract AT&T palm pre plus this week and swap in my iphone 3gs sim. I have never played the sim swap game between phones before. How do the carriers respond to this?
    I mean they definitely know what type of phone your using and I already have the standard 3g data plan on my iphone along with texting plan, next of kin and a monthly pint of blood to AT&T .. : >.

Bottom line will AT&T freak out if I start using an iphone one day and a pre the other and keep swapping them?? No changes to my contract too.

Thanks. Doug D
    try it. the worst that could happen is a call to customer service to move your account to the new phone... you should be able to put your card into a phone right at the sales counter to try it. And the sales person should be able to tell you what will happen...
    I'm doing it. I haven't used my iPhone sim in my actual iPhone in years.
    Of course they were Nokia phones unlocked. The Pre is the first carrier phone I've bought in a while. (Work pays for my iPhone-we develop for Apple products).
    I'm just gonna see what happens.
    I've been doing that with my BlackBerry, should be fine with the iPhone.
  5.    #5  
    thanks for the responses. Now I just gotta swallow that $300+ for a new pre
    i'v done it with a nokia E71x and samsung blackjack, and it worked.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug D View Post
    Hey all, I'm really chomping at the bit to pick up a no contract AT&T palm pre plus this week and swap in my iphone 3gs sim. I have never played the sim swap game between phones before. How do the carriers respond to this?
    I mean they definitely know what type of phone your using and I already have the standard 3g data plan on my iphone along with texting plan, next of kin and a monthly pint of blood to AT&T .. : >.

Bottom line will AT&T freak out if I start using an iphone one day and a pre the other and keep swapping them?? No changes to my contract too.

Thanks. Doug D
    It works just fine. The ATT store was going to swap it out of my iPhone and into the Pre themselves, but I told them I'd do it when I got home. Everything worked just fine with one exception...you need to have ATT put you back on a regular voicemail system because the Pre doesn't have visual voicemail and it uses a totally different system. I found that out today when it occurred to me that I hadn't had a single voicemail since I bought my Pre.
    I think the Youview visual voicemail app is avaiable for both platforms so setting it up on both phones will probably make for a more seamless back & forth experience and save you from having to call AT&T each time you switch back & forth.
    I swapped, but I was unable to send MMS everything else worked fine.
    I swapped my sim that I've had since my Siemens S66 way back when. I had been using a feature phone, Nokia 2610, that I recently added the $10/month unlimited data pack to. After taking the sim from the Nokia and putting it in the Pre, I got a text message about 30 minutes later saying that a smartphone data package was added to my line.
    Everything seems to be working okay though, including MMS.

Edit: I lied, it seems people aren't receiving my MMS. I tried entering the settings found here , but it still didn't work.

Edit2: Okay, I think it was working before I started messing with the settings, but the original iPhone I was attempting to send to didn't support MMS. After returning settings to Auto, a Verizon feature phone and an At&t iPhone 3GS received my picture messages.
    Last edited by metalfan49; 06/03/2010 at 12:22 PM.