1.    #1  
    Hi All,

I have been running a Blackberry 9700 for 6 months and before that a Blackberry 8900.

The best phone I ever owned was a Palm Treo 750.

Has anyone else changed from a Blackberry to Palm Pre and never looked back?

What's lacking in the Pre over the Blackberry?

What's the Pre got the Blackberry hasn't ?

Will is miss my push email and the easy of emailing?

The idea of a touch screen and qwerty keyboard is pushing it as a deal maker.

The only other option is wait from the new Blackberry 9800 slider, that will have touch screen and keyboard

Thanks for any helps folks
    I've never owned a BB, but most of the people I know do, so I am a bit famiiliar. In my opinion WebOS is much nicer to use than is RIM.

What do I like?

1. The touchscreen
    2. The gesture area (ease of navigation)
    3. The way notifications pops up (sutle enough not to disturb you if you are doing something but obvious enough to know that it is there..
    4. The much better native web browser.

Push Email? Well my friend and I exchange emails all the time in each others presence, and i am not noting a big difference in how quickly emails gets to him or I. I have my gmail account on the Pre set to get emails as they arrive, works excellently.

The keyboard on the Pre isn't as nice as the BBs esp, the bold, but you get used to it in a short period of time, and you wouldn't miss anything on account of it.

Go to a store and use the Pre. I think you may find it quite decent.

IMHO..
    Both the Pre and all the Blackberry devices basically do all the same things. WebOS is just a lot more user friendly. RIM Blackberry makes some really excellent hardware though, very durable and in most cases look pretty cool. Their prices are also excellent and have a pretty decent App store.
    The Pre/WebOS is much. much better, hands down. But, if RIM Blackberry ever tweaks up their OS, their devices will be hard to beat.
    The Saint
    What email server do you use? Quality of service on WebOS varies. I use gmail, and email notifications pop up instantly, just as fast as they do if I have gmail open and refreshing.

Notifications have been mentioned, but they are a huge + that is not matched by any other mobile OS.

Your biggest drawback will most likely be due to hardware complaints. Most of the posts on here are about hardware, but just remember, when things work people don't bring it up...only when they break. I've had mine since december, and just had to fix the power button. It was a 5 minute search and a 2 minute fix.

Good luck on the research. Are there any other phones you are considering?
    I got the Pre last June & the 9700 in December.. I used to only use my blackberry for video recording and facebook. Now I don't even use it. Matter of fact I don't even know weres it at.

The things I like about the bold that the webos DOESNT have is: it have tons of more options, I like KeyCaps. The battery lasts days for me since I never use it. The camera have autofocus and zooming. Also Color Effects. The pictures just have more options, but the pre camera looks better. Voice Notes! Visual Voicemail, & VoiceDialing. Docs To Go. Can save text messages. I also like the blackberry keyboard better. Clock app have more options. Themes are supported in App World. I like how the screen dims when the changed of light/darkness. But the web is sooo slowww..but I like the keyboard shortcuts.

The Pre have a better notifcation system. Love multitasking. Love the web. The 3d games. Bigger Screen. Ĥ

Personally I like the Pre better but wish is had alot more features like the blackberry.

I just love it more and you will too trust me

(Oh yeah I'm not a big email/calendar type person. So I don't use it enough see what's so great about the email on the blackberry when I do get email it never display the html text. )
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Blackberry Messenger, obviously. If you use it of course.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I have both BB Tour 9630 and this Palm Pre Plus. I've run my BB for over a year and got my PP last month. The only problem I've had so far with my BB was the OS5 update. It bricked my phone. That has been fixed so it's running well. No problems other than that. It's a solid phone and very durable harware wise. The Pre hardware is a bit flimsy which concerns me.

However now that I have PP I can't put it down. It's just a much better OS. Once you start to use the multi tasking on the Pre you'll see that its simply much more efficient. No need to close out of one app to get to another like on BB. It's what hooked me into getting the Pre.

BB has larger app selection, better notification options (BeBuzz) and Visual VM is great. I don't know that I miss the Push mail all that much. I haven't had issues getting emails quickly on Pre.

As a BB user and Pre user I know you won't be dissapointed with the Pre. It's a good choice.
    I haven't owned a blackberry but i have worked with many of them. I say the two things you will probably miss the most are your battery life and BBM, that is if your a heavy BBM user as many people buy blackberrys for that feature only.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to comment. There are some detailed and interesting thoughts here!

Can I raise/ask a few more things:

• [1]How do you do a Copy & Paste with a Pre?

[2]Is it true there is no Auto spell, Auto Capital letter at the beginning of a new sentence and no Auto full stop?

[3]What are the must have Apps on a Pre?

[4]Is there any Sat Nav software for the UK?

[4]Finally, what are the Pre's equivalent apps to Poynt, eBay app (auction manager), Quicklaunch, Capture It ??

Cheers

Win
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EN4CER View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to comment. There are some detailed and interesting thoughts here!

Can I raise/ask a few more things:

• [1]How do you do a Copy & Paste with a Pre?

[2]Is it true there is no Auto spell, Auto Capital letter at the beginning of a new sentence and no Auto full stop?

[3]What are the must have Apps on a Pre?

[4]Is there any Sat Nav software for the UK?

[4]Finally, what are the Pre's equivalent apps to Poynt, eBay app (auction manager), Quicklaunch, Capture It ??

Cheers

Win
    1 - Cursor navigation, highlighting, and clipboard functions are simple and powerful once you know how they work. Holding your finger on the center of gesture area, then the standard C for Copy, V for Paste, etc... Holding the white/orange key and swiping on screen moves cursor, and holding shift and swiping highlights while moving cursor... it's amazing.

Ex - I wanted to paste a bit from Wikipedia in a text to my GF's Pixi. I opened the phone, typed "Weeds" for universal search to activate, then tapped Wikipedia. Scrolled to the paragraph, hold shift key and tapped paragraph, gesture + C to copy, opened Messaging, tapped her name, gesture + V, enter. Done.

2 - Sort of a messy subject. I'm very happy with the stock autocorrect function. Auto shift at start of of sentence and after period is there, yes. The autocorrect dictionary can be edited through homebrew, something I've not needed to do.

3 - For me, being a power user I install the homebrew installer Preware ... I find myself using Music Player Remix, Timeclock, lostFM (last.fm app), Pandora, Google Maps, Mode Switcher, and the Visualboy Advance emulator is a ton of fun.

First 4 - No clue at all about that. I use a combination of Sprint Navigation, Google Maps (both included/free).

I am also unfamiliar with those apps, unfortunately. The Mobile eBay website has been great for browsing but I very rarely bid on eBay nowadays.

Whew. That was a little overboard... Maybe. I get passionate about my Pre. I think by far the best thing webOS has going for it is the open-source standard and that Palm -supports- homebrew and OS patching, unlike any other mobile platform I know of.
    In my experience with a blackberry, the only thing its go over the pre is the solid hardware and the seasons app catalog.

As far as features and capabilities the Pre use a more modern OS. If you are fond of you BB, you might want to hold onto it a little while longer because Palm doesn't have some key apps yet, but they're getting there.
    Quote Originally Posted by EN4CER View Post
    Hi All,

I have been running a Blackberry 9700 for 6 months and before that a Blackberry 8900.

The best phone I ever owned was a Palm Treo 750.

Has anyone else changed from a Blackberry to Palm Pre and never looked back?

What's lacking in the Pre over the Blackberry?

What's the Pre got the Blackberry hasn't ?

Will is miss my push email and the easy of emailing?

The idea of a touch screen and qwerty keyboard is pushing it as a deal maker.

The only other option is wait from the new Blackberry 9800 slider, that will have touch screen and keyboard

Thanks for any helps folks
    I answered you over on Crackberry, but again , short answeer is yes. I don't miss the battery pulls nor the crap OS.
    My wife has a BlackBerry Curve - I like the Pre & webOS much better than BB's OS.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)