Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    .....I would NEVER buy another phone that didn't double as a free WiFi hot spot!

There's much to like about the Pre (true multitasking), and much to hate (calendar, mailbox handling, and music support), but I'm sold on this one feature. I used to use USBModem for my 755p, but going the Wifi route is awesome! No cables to carry, no special drivers for each device.....it just plain works.

I will always be tempted by the latest and greatest Verizon gets in, but unless they come ready to go as a free WiFi hotspot, you'll have to pry my Pre from my hands with a crowbar.
    I hope that when I get the next WebOS phone Verizon will continue to give me the service but probably not knowing Verizon... :/
    I think Verizon is allowing us to use the Free WiFi hot spot until they get the GPS fixed. Then they will charge for both!
    My favorite feature too, and the one that initially led me to pull the trigger on the Pre Plus. I use it all the time.
    if you already have the hotspot service, they wont start charging for it...
    Global Posts
    1,405 Global Posts
    That is the reason I left my blackberry for the Pre as I was paying for tethering. This is much faster and I love it.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    The pre's free WiFi was HUGE for me the other day. We had a bad thunderstorm in the area and our house electricity went down for about 4 hours.

Would have had no internet for our computers but the free WiFi saved us - just flipped it on and we (me, wife, kid) each ran our laptops off it the whole time.

And for us, the 5G limit on "free" isn't a problem. With all 3 of us going for 3-4 hours we only used about 350mb of our cap. As long as you don't download streaming movies or somesuch you just don't run into a problem.

Free mobile WiFi was the "killer app" that sold me on the PPP over the HTC Incredible and i haven't regretted it a minute.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I think Verizon is allowing us to use the Free WiFi hot spot until they get the GPS fixed. Then they will charge for both!
    They can't. I specifically asked at the Verizon store when i was getting the Pre whether the free mobile hotspot was a contractual thing that they couldn't change for the 2 year contract or whether it was something they could start charging for on a whim at any time, and was told the former. If you have a contract, you get it free for the life of that contract.
    I'm glad so many of you are having good experiences with Wi-fi Hotspot. Mine worked when I first got the phone about a month ago. However, I tried it yesterday again with my iPod Touch and I could not even get the app store to load again.
    <<Thread Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    What was the original cost of the HotSpot feature? I can't seem to recall.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    What was the original cost of the HotSpot feature? I can't seem to recall.
    the same cost as the mifi monthly charge.
    I have to say, that has to be the nicest thing Verizon has done for me lately.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    i used it the other day for the first time, and the only down side was that my phone got quite hot, battery at 109 f and processor at 40 c. and thats with out me using it, except to check the temps when i felt it getting quite hot. i tried it with my xbox and couldnt get it to connect with wpa/wpa2. any help? thank you in advance.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    The original cost of the hotspot was $40.00.
    I was in St George Island, Florida on vacation this week using my laptop. I was using the Sprint Air Card and it was so slow, like dial up. I remembered the Hotspot and turned it on my phone and it worked great. Almost as fast as broadband. Great feature.
    Global Posts
    1,405 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newt45 View Post
    I tried it yesterday again with my iPod Touch and I could not even get the app store to load again.
    Could it be a setting within the iPod Touch? My son has one, and he used my hotspot during our 2 hour car ride yesterday. He has connected a few times with it, and not a single problem at all.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    it's not a problem to connect it's the slow speeds when connected that I find as an issue with my itouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePlus79 View Post
    it's not a problem to connect it's the slow speeds when connected that I find as an issue with my itouch.
    When we travel, we use a laptop and a netbook. The netbook's connection thru the Pre's wifi hotspot is usually much slower than the laptop. Palm and Vzn both say it's the atom processor in the netbook. The better the processor, the faster the wifi connection supposedly.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    <<Thread Renamed>>
    LOL! "Suffonsified"?? Please...the next time you rename one of my thread titles, perhaps you can make sure that all words you choose be found in the English language....
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denisekirk View Post
    When we travel, we use a laptop and a netbook. The netbook's connection thru the Pre's wifi hotspot is usually much slower than the laptop. Palm and Vzn both say it's the atom processor in the netbook. The better the processor, the faster the wifi connection supposedly.
    The faster the processor the faster some big pages pages load. I have access to a 10mbit connection over wifi sometimes. Using my Dell Mini 9 I can have the full thing when downloading large files
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast