Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This was discussed many times in the past. Do a search and you will see a lot of people have gone through this, including myself. I had to Doctor the phone and now I am able to send a text to the people I couldn't send to before the Doctor.
    The real question is what is causing this. I patch my Pre extensively and don't know if this is the reason. We need to find out if people who have never patched their Pre have this issue as well. I feel bad for those people as the stock Pre is a garbage heap. The patches are the only reason that I've kept my Pre. If it wasn't for the hard work that the developers on this site have done, this Pre probably would have gone out of business a long time ago.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    So is there any fix for this BESIDES wiping my entire phone? The thought of reinstalling 120+ patches/apps kinda makes me tear up a bit. Unfortunately it's one of my best friends that I can't text, and I can't receive her texts either. If it was just some random person I'd live with the glitch, but I don't think I can just abandon a friendship because of WebOS. This kinda irks me since I love me Pre, but find it ridiculous that a bug like this still exists a year after release. *** palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    So is there any fix for this BESIDES wiping my entire phone? The thought of reinstalling 120+ patches/apps kinda makes me tear up a bit. Unfortunately it's one of my best friends that I can't text, and I can't receive her texts either. If it was just some random person I'd live with the glitch, but I don't think I can just abandon a friendship because of WebOS. This kinda irks me since I love me Pre, but find it ridiculous that a bug like this still exists a year after release. *** palm.
    I know exactly what you're going through. It happened to me when I tried to send a long text to my girlfriend too. Pretty much. Extract Palmdatabase.com and delete everything in it. I would show you have to extract it but I'm on my Pre and I can't remember the path to extract it. But when you extract it, you can PM me or just post here.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I know exactly what you're going through. It happened to me when I tried to send a long text to my girlfriend too. Pretty much. Extract Palmdatabase.com and delete everything in it. I would show you have to extract it but I'm on my Pre and I can't remember the path to extract it. But when you extract it, you can PM me or just post here.
    Hrmm. I'm assuming you mean to mount the phone and browze it via the PC. I DO have internalz, but I prefer to use the PC anyway. I'll check it out when I get home. Do I basically just delete this file? And what kind of file on a PC or smartphone ends in .com?? Strange. A little more info would be tremendously helpful.
    Hrmm. I'm assuming you mean to mount the phone and browze it via the PC. I DO have internalz, but I prefer to use the PC anyway. I'll check it out when I get home. Do I basically just delete this file? And what kind of file on a PC or smartphone ends in .com?? Strange. A little more info would be tremendously helpful.
    Its db3 not /com. Sorry.
    First, copy the Palmdatabase.db3 from my Pre. Then I use sqlite3 client, to open the Palmdatabase.db3, delete all the SMS messages, and copy the Palmdatabase.db3 back to my Pre. Restart Luna.

Open a terminal (through novacom or webos quick install > linux cmdline) and type the following:-
    cp /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /media/internal/
    then put your pre into usb drive mode and copy this file to your PC if you want

Later when you want to restore contacts/sms/email/log, do:
    Copy the file from your PC to Pre USB Drive and then type the following:
    cp /media/internal/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/

Its db3 not /com. Sorry.
    First, copy the Palmdatabase.db3 from my Pre. Then I use sqlite3 client, to open the Palmdatabase.db3, delete all the SMS messages, and copy the Palmdatabase.db3 back to my Pre. Restart Luna.

Open a terminal (through novacom or webos quick install > linux cmdline) and type the following:-
    cp /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /media/internal/
    then put your pre into usb drive mode and copy this file to your PC if you want

Later when you want to restore contacts/sms/email/log, do:
    Copy the file from your PC to Pre USB Drive and then type the following:
    cp /media/internal/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/
    Thanks for you fast and detailed response! A few questions before I attempt this. What exactly are the command lines doing? And why would I need to "restore" my sms and email log? Am I going to delete them? I don't really need them, so that would be ok. Also when I copy the file to the PC am I just creating a backup?

Thanks for your help, I'm just simply not a Linux guru (or even casual user for that matter) and I just would like to know what I'm doing to my phone before I start modifying core files. =)
    Thanks for you fast and detailed response! A few questions before I attempt this. What exactly are the command lines doing? And why would I need to "restore" my sms and email log? Am I going to delete them? I don't really need them, so that would be ok. Also when I copy the file to the PC am I just creating a backup?

Thanks for your help, I'm just simply not a Linux guru (or even casual user for that matter) and I just would like to know what I'm doing to my phone before I start modifying core files. =)
    The file im directing you to is the housing file for all those log activities. Look into the file and delete the sms logs, but in case you want to delete other logs. Then go for it.

The file im directing you to is the housing file for all those log activities. Look into the file and delete the sms logs, but in case you want to delete other logs. Then go for it.
    I'm not just defending 9KRacing, but Jason, this explanation is really killin me! No offense. I'm sure you're a bright guy, but the instructions are rather confusing. Do you really think that 9KRacing should be trying all of this? After all, it is a person he talks to frequently and maybe a Doctor visit wouldn't be such a bad idea. That way he can start out with a fresh new Pre also.

Let's face it, as much as re-patching is a pain, that's all it is. It's really easy, but just takes time. Also don't forget about the Pre Backup Utility app which does assist in backing up the Pre.

Again, once I Doctored my Pre to the latest version 1.4.5, I was able to text the person that I previously couldn't, and also dabbled into overclocking and putting a theme on. Patches were always used, but now that the update was finally released, I knew it would be quite some time until the next one where I would have to uninstall everything prior to updating again. Now I should have plenty of time to enjoy all of these mods.

Just Doctor dog, OR try Jason Black's technique.
    Last edited by voltageROCK; 08/26/2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I'm not just defending 9KRacing, but Jason, this explanation is really killin me! No offense. I'm sure you're a bright guy, but the instructions are rather confusing. Do you really think that 9KRacing should be trying all of this? After all, it is a person he talks too frequently and maybe a Doctor visit wouldn't be such a bad idea. That way he can start out with a fresh new Pre also.

Let's face it, as much as re-patching is a pain, that's all it is. It's really easy, but just takes time. Also don't forget about the Pre Backup Utility app which does assist in backing up the Pre.

Again, once I Doctored my Pre to the latest version 1.4.5, I was able to text the person that I previously couldn't, and also dabbled into overclocking and putting a theme on. Patches were always used, but now that the update was finally released, I knew it would be quite some time until the next one where I would have to uninstall everything prior to updating again. Now I should have plenty of time to enjoy all of these mods.

Just Doctor dog, try Jason Black's technique.

Lol, Ya, after reading all of that and thinking about it I decided a doctor trip would be about the same amount of time. And less risk. =D

I appreciate the help though!
    do you have any star codes before the phone number? I have my caller ID blocked by default, and have had trouble texting people whom I've unblocked via *82. I spent about 2 months in endless tech support queues with Verizon and Palm, both of whom repeatedly denied that *82 could have anything to do with text messaging, before I confirmed that it its a known problem with smartphones in general. I've created a workaround by making new contacts with nicknames for the people involved. It's not perfect but it makes it possible to send a text.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I'm not just defending 9KRacing, but Jason, this explanation is really killin me! No offense. I'm sure you're a bright guy, but the instructions are rather confusing. Do you really think that 9KRacing should be trying all of this? After all, it is a person he talks to frequently and maybe a Doctor visit wouldn't be such a bad idea. That way he can start out with a fresh new Pre also.

Just Doctor dog, OR try Jason Black's technique.
    Its not wise to use Pre backup utility to back up text messages and then restore it again after doctoring. Its going to restore the same exact database and you're going to end up with the same problem again by restoring with Pre backup Utility. You're better off doctoring and starting over again or you can extract the database above and restore it after doctoring, but if you've being reading around here, you would know that its not advisable to use Pre Backup Utility because it creates problems with the database thereby making you get logged out of your palm profile.

BUT, what do i know...

So I had the can't text 1 number issue. I fixed it without deleting all texts.

Download any sqlite program to examine your database you will find entries in the com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread that have a firstName of the phone number that you can not text.

You will want to delete those and any other text messages that contain the broken phone number. You can't modify the table outside of the phone since there are extensions used by palm to create a Coallation sequence "Localzied_secondary". You will see errors to this effect if you try to delete them from sqlspy or sqlite manager.

I first setup openssh with putty. (careful dropbear and openssh are two different ssh apps) You could do all this with novaterm or on the pre keyboard if you have the terminal app. I wanted to be able to cut and paste.

Here are the steps

1. Delete the affected contact from contacts.
    2. Backup the database. (just in case)
    3. Load the database with sqlite3
    4. Load the extensions to the database
    5. Run the delete commands to fix individual records.
    6. use [crtl-d] to exit sqlite3
    6. Restart Luna
    7. Add the contact back
    8. txt like mad!

Here are the commands for steps 2-5 above.

cp -f /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /media/internal/
    sqlite3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3
    .load /usr/lib/sqlite3_palm_extension.so

DELETE FROM com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread WHERE firstname="brokenuser";
    DELETE FROM com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread WHERE firstname="(702) 555-1212";

Using the above example delete statements you can modify which row you want to delete. You should make another copy of your database and load it to verify that the correct entries are deleted.

HTH,
    Joe
    Thanks for the info JoePostal. I was on track to doing this, when I ran into the LOCALIZED_SECONDARY collation issue, and your info about the extensions was the last piece in the puzzle to get texting working again.
    I've had this same problem for months now for a few contacts and I have a stock pixi, no doctoring. I wish palm would respond with an answer and fix this.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Same problem here with a Sprint Pre. Only one contact that I can't text. No patches or themes running. So annoying, but I"m dumping my Pre for an Epic next month so I'm not going to bother with the fixes.
    Quote Originally Posted by joepostal View Post
    So I had the can't text 1 number issue. I fixed it without deleting all texts.

Download any sqlite program to examine your database you will find entries in the com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread that have a firstName of the phone number that you can not text.

You will want to delete those and any other text messages that contain the broken phone number. You can't modify the table outside of the phone since there are extensions used by palm to create a Coallation sequence "Localzied_secondary". You will see errors to this effect if you try to delete them from sqlspy or sqlite manager.

I first setup openssh with putty. (careful dropbear and openssh are two different ssh apps) You could do all this with novaterm or on the pre keyboard if you have the terminal app. I wanted to be able to cut and paste.

Here are the steps

1. Delete the affected contact from contacts.
    2. Backup the database. (just in case)
    3. Load the database with sqlite3
    4. Load the extensions to the database
    5. Run the delete commands to fix individual records.
    6. use [crtl-d] to exit sqlite3
    6. Restart Luna
    7. Add the contact back
    8. txt like mad!

Here are the commands for steps 2-5 above.

cp -f /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /media/internal/
    sqlite3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3
    .load /usr/lib/sqlite3_palm_extension.so

DELETE FROM com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread WHERE firstname="brokenuser";
    DELETE FROM com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread WHERE firstname="(702) 555-1212";

Using the above example delete statements you can modify which row you want to delete. You should make another copy of your database and load it to verify that the correct entries are deleted.

HTH,
    Joe
    I just got a replacement Pre and when I had everything up and running, I noticed that I can't text a number that isn't even in my contacts. It's a cell phone for someone I'm not putting in my contact list, but I had to text him the other day and had this problem all over again.

Does that method work for numbers that aren't part of the contacts?
    Yes it does.

In my case, BTW, I had a phone number that was like this:

" (XXX) XXX-XXXX"

Notice the space at the front. So for me I had to change the "firstname=" field to include the leading space. What might help some people is the LIKE SQL command:

SELECT firstname,lastname FROM com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread WHERE firstname LIKE "%XXX%";

...where the XXX is just the area code to start or something like that. It will help you locate the number if you can't find it otherwise. You can use this on names too. The % is a wildcard taking the place of any number of characters.
    can someone PLEASE decode these instructions in laymen's terms? I'm about to drive to verizon and just get a new phone because I am so freaking frustrated with this whole thing. I've now doctored my phone and restored the SMS/call logs like 5 times now (per http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2928083) and still nothing. obviously something is corrupted in those files but I don't know how to do all this stuff outlined in this thread without someone walking me through it. I have spent close to 8 hours total now trying to "fix" this whole thing, just in an effort to not lose all my texts (which have both sentimental and work-related value to me)
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slope72 View Post
    Same problem here with a Sprint Pre. Only one contact that I can't text. No patches or themes running. So annoying, but I"m dumping my Pre for an Epic next month so I'm not going to bother with the fixes.
    Just a heads up. A buddy of mine just got an Epic and is having a similar problem with his phone. One contact keeps dropping the area code before sending and as a result gets an error code. He has tried every thing under the sun to fix it, to no avail. He is beyond frustrated with it. I did some investigating for him and many people on Android have had the same problem, but nobody has come op with a solution. Besides a full wipe of the phone. So it would seem this kind of a problem is not exclusive to Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmegan6 View Post
    can someone PLEASE decode these instructions in laymen's terms? I'm about to drive to verizon and just get a new phone because I am so freaking frustrated with this whole thing. I've now doctored my phone and restored the SMS/call logs like 5 times now (per http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2928083) and still nothing. obviously something is corrupted in those files but I don't know how to do all this stuff outlined in this thread without someone walking me through it. I have spent close to 8 hours total now trying to "fix" this whole thing, just in an effort to not lose all my texts (which have both sentimental and work-related value to me)
    Here you go
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post2649680
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast