1.    #1  
    I have a problem with my att palm pre. I love it but the problem is that every time I slide it closed a bit hard the screen will dissolve and the phone resets! I took out the battery but it didnt seem to do anything. Can someone help or know any solutions, thanks!
    Alot of the sprint pre's had this problem. The battery is a little loose and when slid shut, it is enough force to move the battery off the terminals. fold up some paper and stick in with the battery, on the opposite side of the terminals(that would be towards the top of the phone) so that you give the battery a tighter fit
    Phones -> Motorola i60c, i80, i215, i730, i880(maroon), Samsung Instinct(SPH-M800), Palm Pre

Palm Devices ->3com Palm III, Palm m100, m130, m500, Zire 71, PalmOne Zire 72, LifeDrive, Palm Pre
    Sprint came out with battery spacers to fix the problem
    Place a piece of tape behind the battery puller at the top of the battery chamber. This will keep the battery snug against the contacts.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Yeah, I guess these solutions will work. I tried the paper-wedge thing, but I always knew in the back of my mind that I had a wad of paper in my phone. I just took it back for an exchange at my local verizon store.

I wonder if this is a battery size problem or if it's a problem with the phone. I'm inclined to think there was just some kind of error in a massive batch of batteries, rendering them slightly too small. Man, who knows...
    I just took my wife's (Sprint) Pre in for this problem. They took the phone in the back, installed additional bumpers in the battery compartment and on the Touchstone back (to push down on the battery). Problem solved.

What's disconcerting is that this was one of the newer batch of Pres, after Palm had addressed some issues. It already had a little piece of foam in the battery compartment. This leads me to believe that it's the battery that is to blame.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I had the same issue with my Verizon Pre Plus.. only a month old. I cut down one of my business cards and put it behind the battery. No problems since.
    Just take the damn thing back. If it doesn't work or there is a problem, get it replaced. It's that simple.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    I agree. If it is a brand new phone, take it in for a replacement or a proper fix. If your phone was patched/themed/hacked/apped...I would not risk starting over and just fold up some paper.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    This happened to my wife once. All I did to fix it was take the battery out and put it back in. The phone had been dropped which apparently jarred the battery a little loose. Reseating fixed that and it hasn't happened since.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I had this same issue with my Sprint Pre on day 1 when it launched. I can't believe Palm hasn't addressed this issue with the AT&T Pre Plus units. If it's as simple as applying some foam tape, why the hell didn't they add it to the units before shipping them out?
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I had this problem with my Verizon Pre Plus. I took it back to the store and they could not get it to repeat. They suggested that I do a "Full Erase", which I did. This seemed to fix the problem. The only problem with this is that you lose any info you have that is not backed up automatically overnight by Palm. This includes all photos, music and many settings you may have in some of your apps. You can backup all of your photos and music by connecting to your computer.

I had this problem one other time and this time I just did an "Erase Apps and Data". This does not touch your media files. This worked as well. Provided you have backed up previously, which Palm does automatically each night, it will automatically restore all of your apps that you have on your phone as well as contact data. If you have installed any apps since last night when the auto backup was done, make sure you do a backup before you do this.

To do this, go to "Device Info" and then "Reset Options". From there you can select the type of reset you wish to do.

I had been given this info about the battery as well, but there was nothing wrong with my battery. Knock on wood - I have not had a problem since.

If you have Homebrew apps installed, I don't think Palm will restore those. There is a Backup and Restore utility under Homebrew Apps that will back up all of your data and media files that Palm does not do automatically.

Hope this helps. Like all smartphones - there are always going to be some glitches and idosyncracies. Don't dismay - I think you will love your Palm.
    Don't reset your phone until you are POSITIVE that you have explored all options. It isn't logical that closing the slider would shut your phone off. It's more likely that the battery was pulled at some point during the reset process and it was seated better when it they put it back into the phone.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but there is no other post I've found anywhere linking the slider to randomly shutting down the phone.

Trouble shooting and resolution should always start with non-destructive options. Resetting and doctoring should be the LAST thing you try, not the first...

...just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Don't reset your phone until you are POSITIVE that you have explored all options. It isn't logical that closing the slider would shut your phone off. It's more likely that the battery was pulled at some point during the reset process and it was seated better when it they put it back into the phone.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but there is no other post I've found anywhere linking the slider to randomly shutting down the phone.

Trouble shooting and resolution should always start with non-destructive options. Resetting and doctoring should be the LAST thing you try, not the first...

...just sayin'
    I disagree 100%. Doctor it. Doctor the hell out of it. Before it's too late.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    I disagree 100%. Doctor it. Doctor the hell out of it. Before it's too late.
    Well, we are all entitled to our opinion. Is it safe to assume that if your car started to make a strange noise that your first response is to replace the engine? If you see a broken link in your web browser, so you format your hard drive and reinstall windows?

I think we saw plenty of ready-fire-aim when the app catalog had a problem a few weeks back. Most of the people that jumped straight to doctoring created additional problems and regretted making such a hasty decision.

Feel free to doctor your phone as often as you want. But I'm concerned about recommending such a drastic step to someone else unless it is needed and I am sure the user knows how to back up and recover their important stuff...

...just sayin'
    Well, we are all entitled to our opinion. Is it safe to assume that if your car started to make a strange noise that your first response is to replace the engine? If you see a broken link in your web browser, so you format your hard drive and reinstall windows?

I think we saw plenty of ready-fire-aim when the app catalog had a problem a few weeks back. Most of the people that jumped straight to doctoring created additional problems and regretted making such a hasty decision.

Feel free to doctor your phone as often as you want. But I'm concerned about recommending such a drastic step to someone else unless it is needed and I am sure the user knows how to back up and recover their important stuff...

...just sayin'
    Uh, no. Of course I wouldn't replace the engine. That would be stupid. I just buy another car.
    Again, the need for sarcasm font.

Seriously, I know that doctoring isn't necessary in most cases, this more than likely being one of them. I don't really see a problem with doctoring, in fact I think people should be made to understand that it's not a dangerous or horribly difficult thing to do. Doctoring is easy, and takes 15-20 mins. I actually doctor mine from time to time to different versions to do some testing, and it doesn't affect it in the slightest. But you're right, probably not needed here. I was just being a smartazz.

LOL, All true in the right hands. We just haven't explored this with the OP to know it's needed, or that the OP can do it without losing stuff.

Kind of like handing someone a weapon without checking to see if they know how to use a gun... I'm just sayin'

LOL, All true in the right hands. We just haven't explored this with the OP to know it's needed, or that the OP can do it without losing stuff.

Kind of like handing someone a weapon without checking to see if they know how to use a gun... I'm just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Just take the damn thing back. If it doesn't work or there is a problem, get it replaced. It's that simple.
    ppl would rather sit on here and complain then do that lol. isnt that was forums are for? haha
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre