Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Just bought my Palm Pre Plus and LOVE it. I was, however, disappointed when I couldn't load TV shows on Hulu or Blinkx. Is there something I need to download?
    nope. Hulu doesn't have the right to broadcast to mobile devices, so they block access to any mobile device that has flash (like WinMo)...
    Hulu uses flash. The pre and a lot of device don't have flash. So you cannot use Hulu. Also Hulu doesn't allow it on mobile browser anyway.
    Hi Skullsroad and Welcome to the P|C forums and your new addiction!

As Cantaffordit explained, you will not be able to watch shows from Hulu and other sites on a mobile device right now, no matter what device you have as they block mobile content. But there are some sites (as mentioned on the front page of P|C) that are starting to allow content - even if it isn't full shows yet. We'll see what happens in the future with sites allowing this, but in the meantime, enjoy your Pre Plus! You're going to see why we all love webOS very quickly!
    And there is lots of good content showing up on YouTube...
    It will be nice to have netflix for it.
    netflix may be a ways off for viewing. It's currently built with Silverlight, which is Windows only. I'm sure they will create an iPhone app, and hopefully that can be ported to webOS.

There are several apps in the catalog for managing you netflix Q, however...
    Netflix has viewers on linux platforms that don't use silverlight, they are also on the Wii, PS3, BlueRay players,etc. So viewing netflix on the pre isn't dependent on silverlight as much as Netflix deciding they want to start streaming to mobile platforms.
    I can't speak to Linux, but the Wii/PS3/BlueRay/etc have some code baked in to them to make it work. In terms of Linux, for sure they would be recognizing (and blocking) phones for the same reason Hulu has to. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before people figure out how to get around that, especially on Android...

Netflix & Hulu can't just "decide" to stream to mobile. They would have to renegotiate their content contracts, and write a bunch of HUGE checks...
    Quote Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
    Netflix has viewers on linux platforms that don't use silverlight, they are also on the Wii, PS3, BlueRay players,etc. So viewing netflix on the pre isn't dependent on silverlight as much as Netflix deciding they want to start streaming to mobile platforms.
    That must be a fairly recent change for viewing on Linux...last I checked, I still could not. It was one of those things that makes me keep windows on my computers. I hope you're right about that!
    They don't stream to Linux and they recently committed firmly to PlayOn for PC devices, so unless Microsoft makes PlayOn work on Linux, Netflix isn't going to work without the Linux community devising an alternative or hack that will hopefully kick Netflix in the process for dragging their feet.

Currently option for Linux Netflixers is either dual-boot or VM.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 05/28/2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Keep it family friendly
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Went to the Hulu site on my Blackberry with Opera Mini and it said it wanted a Flash download/install to be viewable. Android 2.2 supports Flash natively. WebOS doesn't support Flash at all? That's a bummer. Hopefully HP will change that because I'm seriously considering the PRE PLUS on AT&T as my next upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Blu View Post
    Went to the Hulu site on my Blackberry with Opera Mini and it said it wanted a Flash download/install to be viewable. Android 2.2 supports Flash natively. WebOS doesn't support Flash at all? That's a bummer. Hopefully HP will change that because I'm seriously considering the PRE PLUS on AT&T as my next upgrade.
    The Pre does support Flash but Adobe has not released it yet...
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    keep in mind that flash won't necessarily make it possible to watch hulu. As posted previously, they are still required to block mobile devices. That's why you cant watch using a windows mobile phone that has flash.

Also, beyond the flash requirement, there is flash DRM. it isn't clear if the mobile flash player will even support the flash DRM that Hulu and other media sites use...

Personally, I expect that Steve Jobs will motivate Hulu to create an HTML5 solution so they can access the iPhone/iPad masses. I would also expect that to be a paid service... but I could be wrong.

Remember that Hulu is largely owned by people like Disney. The content owners, and the cable companies that pay the most for their content... all want to get a piece of revenue from services like Hulu.

That's why you have companies like Comcast creating web--based versions of their on-demand catalog that will only be available to people that subscribe to the equivalent cable package. The battle will be decided by whether Jobs can do to the TV industry what he did to the music industry, and whether players like Comcast and Disney can control the outcome... IMHO