1.    #1  
    For the last few days I have ben having problems with my sprint pre.
    Sometimes when people call me the phone rings but I can't hear anything.
    Sometimes calls don't come in at all. Texts take 6-7 hours to come through and sometimes it works fine.
    I called Sprint and they want me to do a hard reset where I will lose all of my apps, patches etc...
    Has anyone else had this issue? any other ideas before I try that, as it will most likely take me weeks to restore everything that I have on there, IF I can even remember everything.
    Could it be a Sprint network issue?.
    The worst thing is that I am going on vacation tomorrow and sure need a working phone.
    preware has a saved package list. You can most likely put everything back in less then 2 hours.,,but in any case,,try webos repair utility first. This will erase nothing and more times then not fix yr problem. Start hear,if that does not work then it's time to take more drastic,,but simply action.
  3.    #3  
    Trying the webos utility but can't get it to work... that's what's wrong with palm, you have to work in IT to get it to work right.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    All three of our WebOS phones aren't receiving calls today, so I called Sprint, and the CSR advised to reset it back to factory conditions, so I do..and then half way through the process he finds out my area is under a system wide outage and it has nothing to do with the phone.
  5.    #5  
    That's what I'm worried about, however my wife's Pixi seems to be working fine...
    What area are you in?.
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    Trying the webos utility but can't get it to work... that's what's wrong with palm, you have to work in IT to get it to work right.
    just fyi, webos repair utility is NOT a palm product.... Just saying is all. Now webos Dr is, and the repair utility has been awesomely created by Jason from webos dr files.... But the software itself is not from Palm, hence needing "IT" support or knowledge.

ohhh and BTW, when you tell us you are patched.... You really can't complain about needing "IT" help. Patches modify the phone, if you arenlt willing to learn and/or Dr to factory spec when you have problems you probably should stay away from modifying ANYTHING. Not saying this to be a ****, just that it is part of the package with modifying anything outside of factory/oem spec.
  7.    #7  
    I take your point about the patching, and you do have a valid point.
    However my point is that Palm left so many basic common sense features out of the phone that you are almost forced to use patches, which is the reason for my complaint and being a bit fed up with Palm.

I don't have any fancy patches, I am not overclocking the processor or any of that, the patches that I use are things that in my opinion Palm skipped just to rush it to market.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    trener1 - leave your phone app open and see if that 'resolves' your issue. Myself and others have experienced the same issue and there's debate whther it's local or network, but I'll assume local since having the phone app solvws it for me AND my wife's pixi does not experience this issue.
  9.    #9  
    Hey 4cdn...
    Thanks for the tip, how long did you leave it open for?
    Now it seems like I can make and receive calls, i.e. the phone rings, but I can't hear anything and the other person can't hear me.
    and some folks thought/think video recording is a huge deal, others 34 games.... Etc etc

the point being do your research before you buy a phone and if you are to modify, do your research after you buy if you choose to modify. Also remember the vas majority of users do not patch, you really can't blame Palm for your purchase decision. Sorry don't think many folks here are gonna feel you on that, yeah your problem sucks, but saying you have to be an IT person to use webos is pushing it. Blaming Palm for your purchase decision is over the top. Ohh yeah and believe it or not, lots of the cutting edge smartphones have their own issues regardless of manufacturer.

anyways good luck with your problem, but you really are wrapping your decision to mod with the possibility of having to webos dr into Palms fault. Most of the folks on this forum are happy unlike any phone manufacturer I have ever known, Palm supports the open platform and better yet, made it so we could easily fix any issue other than complete hardware failure. #3+ as posted by others, since you already homebrew, there are 3 utilities you can use to get your phone back to where it is right now even with a full Dr..... And the 4th would be Jasons Repair utility (first option to attempt). All of this made possible by Palms willing to not even attempt to shut down homebrew/hacking of the complete os.
    btw if you read the sticky thread.... It sounds like you may be stuck in headset mode, which has nothing to do with it or software....
    Don't let Sprint fool you guys, it's not your phone, it's there crappy service/system. My Pre don't ring half the time, a buddy has one that don't ring and I have a family member whose Samsung phone isn't ringing at times either, this all started about 2 weeks ago.
    Instead of them having you reset your phone, they should be looking at their system and fixing things are their end.
    The OP is probably stuck in headset mode. Is anyone helping him solve this?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Good - progress! The other posters could be correct about headset mode. I can't recall if the Pre will ring out loud or not in headset mode but it is worth verifying you are not in it.

I would use compressed air in the headset jack then about 10x pull a plug in and out. if that does not work, check out this thread that is dedicated to the topic.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...sound-fix.html
  15.    #15  
    Thank you very much!! that indeed seems to be the problem (though it still doesn't explain why it takes 6 hours to get a text).
    And oldskool, that just proves my point that Palm rushed the phone to market, I googled the "being stuck in headset" issue and it seems like it's a common problem, now if I didn't know about pre central, I would be telling all my friends how this stupid pre just stopped working.
    I still like my pre, but I am not sure that my next phone will be a Palm unless Palm/HP really step it up.
    Just too many issues.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    The text thing is weird... It's like your apps aren't waking up when they should. Try leaving text open as well and see if that resolves the latency.

Believe me I have issues with the Sprint network but there are lots of hardware issues. All netwroks have issues, at least Sprint is low cost, can roam on verizon and understands investment in data comm.

I have my Pre from the release day, it's running 800mhz and about 60 homebrew apps and patches. She gets hot every so often and has the occasional silent ringer issue but it's functionality marginalizes those few issues.

You had a problem and within 3.5hrs, of posting found resolution... and there aren't even that many Pre owners in the grand scheme of mobile hardware! That's pretty cool. Imagine when HPalm gets their ducks in a row.
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    Thank you very much!! that indeed seems to be the problem (though it still doesn't explain why it takes 6 hours to get a text).
    And oldskool, that just proves my point that Palm rushed the phone to market, I googled the "being stuck in headset" issue and it seems like it's a common problem, now if I didn't know about pre central, I would be telling all my friends how this stupid pre just stopped working.
    I still like my pre, but I am not sure that my next phone will be a Palm unless Palm/HP really step it up.
    Just too many issues.
    uhmmm btw your complaint was needing to be an "it" expert to use the phone..... Also note that the majority of users don't or haven't had the headset problem. Like I said, go research other phones, you will find complaints about all of them never said palm or the pre was perfect, but flaws come with cutting edge technology.... Even the best and the badest of the android phones have their own downfalls. One last time, if you are making any purchase you should probably research it and see what fits your need the best. This includes your provider as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    uhmmm btw your complaint was needing to be an "it" expert to use the phone..... Also note that the majority of users don't or haven't had the headset problem. Like I said, go research other phones, you will find complaints about all of them never said palm or the pre was perfect, but flaws come with cutting edge technology.... Even the best and the badest of the android phones have their own downfalls. One last time, if you are making any purchase you should probably research it and see what fits your need the best. This includes your provider as well.
    Give him a little bit of a break on the headset mode. It has been a huge issue for many of us here on Precentral. I've dealt with it 5-6 times with my Sprint Pre, and it would have been hard to figure out if not for this lovely forum.

Granted, all phones and providers have issues. But maybe it's just that the headphone issue has been a real pain for me, and so I commiserate.