1.    #1  
    My friend called me this morning and I couldn't hear anything and neither could he. I figured it was his phone, but now I think it is mine.

I called my dad and noticed that the screen doesn't turn off when I put it up to my face and we couldn't hear eachother. I don't think I have updated anything and I restarted the phone and it still doesn't work.

How do I fix this?

Thanks!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Try running the interactive tests

1. Launch device info
    2. Select menu
    3. Tap on Tests then Interactive Tests
    4. There is a test for Screen and Audio
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  3.    #3  
    I did the tests and everything was fine. But calling still doesn't work. Weird...
    Time to get VIRAL
    Can you hear sounds through a headset?

The device could think a headset is plugged into the device thus why you can't hear anything.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    yeah go to the phone app, put your headset in, call voicemail, mute, then unmute, remove headset, and see if you can hear it after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmilette View Post
    yeah go to the phone app, put your headset in, call voicemail, mute, then unmute, remove headset, and see if you can hear it after that.
    this doesn't work for me. whenever i get stuck in headset mode i've figured out that it is a hardware issue. usually take a jewelers screwdriver and mess with one of the contacts inside the headphone jack. after i do that it always works fine for me.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    This exact thing happened to me not two days ago. I spent 20 mins with palm support and got it resolved as follows:

1) go into interactive audio test as described above, specifically when it tests for detection of when you put in or pull out a headset/headphones

2) BLOW into the headphone jack, hard, a resolution similar to the old NES cartridges. I did it maybe 3-4 times, really hard and then try to unplug the headphone and plug it back in.

Side Note: I become more disappointed with Palm's hardware every day
    I had this happen to me once - last week when they replaced my phone because a key was stuck. The new one came, and my first use of the headset locked it into perpetual headset mode. I spent an hour on the phone with the VZ support dept. They had me try everything, including a complete doctor. The only thing they didn't want me to try where the suggestion to use a q-tip with rubbing alchohol, wd-40, etc...

When we had exhausted options, they sent me another one that arrived the next morning. And through the miracle of Preware and save/restore, the phone was back to the amazing level of customization I had before. Almost unaided, and in less than 3 hours. Gotta love it those home brewers...

The bonus is that this is BY FAR the best, tightest build quality I've had or seen with anyone else. The slider is almost too tight... keyboard is perfect. no squeaking. no gaps. If this is a refurb, someone did a great job on the assembly&test bench. If it was a new one sitting in the refurb pool, then Palm has really nailed the assembly process at the factory.

I wasn't unhappy before, but this is absolutely perfect. I'm just praying I don't have the dreaded headset problem, because I don't want to give this one up... ever.
  9.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    This exact thing happened to me not two days ago. I spent 20 mins with palm support and got it resolved as follows:

1) go into interactive audio test as described above, specifically when it tests for detection of when you put in or pull out a headset/headphones

2) BLOW into the headphone jack, hard, a resolution similar to the old NES cartridges. I did it maybe 3-4 times, really hard and then try to unplug the headphone and plug it back in.

Side Note: I become more disappointed with Palm's hardware every day
    Thanks that worked! I had to blow pretty hard like 3 times.
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilhugbear View Post
    Thanks that worked! I had to blow pretty hard like 3 times.
    Glad to hear it. Pretty simple solution but I would never have thought of it myself. Sounds like it was the exact same behavior as when I did it... you gotta actually do it a few times (no idea why it didn't work the first time - I blew hard each time but only after 3-4 times did it work)