Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I've exhausted my appeals to VZW for an early upgrade from my BB 8330. Ain't gonna happen for a few months. I found a Pre+ on Craigslist for $300 not too far away, "new in box", won at a raffle by a Sprint guy. I've asked for the ESN (that should be outside the box right?). I've never done Craigslist before so what else should I be wary of? I thought we could meet at a VZW store......Thanks. Easy.
    Absolutely meet at a VZW store. They can do the switch while you both wait. It's much safer that way
    Wow, that's interesting. Bring friends. Meet inside the store, and don't pay him until the verizon tech has activated the phone... while you watch...

The few times I've bought off of craig's list, I've always paid with paypal after delivery. For example, meet at a busy starbucks for baseball tickets. Once I have them, fire up my netbook and pay them right then... I don't want to buy from anyone that won't do that.

Heck, it will give you a chance to try out using the Mobile Hotspot to complete the transaction...
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Sounds like scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
    Sounds like scam.
    If OP meets the seller at a VZW store and has the employees add the ESN to his account right there, he has no chance of getting scammed.
    when I sold electronics I used to sell stuff I won too. Very likely to be a legit seller if they will meet you at the store and wait to pay until everything is set up.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
    Sounds like scam.
    Because of the price, or what?
    300 sounds like a fair price. The sprint pres are going used on ebay for half that.

Good luck, hope it all works out!
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I have purchased 4 Pre Sprint phones from Craigslist. At first I got the ESN in advance to check it out, but then met at the Sprint store to do the deal. The last 2 I purchased, the sellers made me aware that ESN spoofing is possible, someone can take a good ESN and put it in a phone with a bad ESN. So I just met at the store.

The 1st 2 Pre's cost me $200 each, the last 2, brand new, still in the box with the protective film from the factory, cost me $150 each.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by easymoney View Post
    I've exhausted my appeals to VZW for an early upgrade from my BB 8330. Ain't gonna happen for a few months. I found a Pre+ on Craigslist for $300 not too far away, "new in box", won at a raffle by a Sprint guy. I've asked for the ESN (that should be outside the box right?). I've never done Craigslist before so what else should I be wary of? I thought we could meet at a VZW store......Thanks. Easy.
    i bought my sprint pre off of craigs list. the guy told me it was an insurance replacement and he never opened the box after he got it. i met him at a sprint store, they told me it was a insurance replacement and the esn was 100% clean. just have the guy see you at a verizon store and have them activate it before you pay him.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I have purchased 4 Pre Sprint phones from Craigslist. At first I got the ESN in advance to check it out, but then met at the Sprint store to do the deal. The last 2 I purchased, the sellers made me aware that ESN spoofing is possible, someone can take a good ESN and put it in a phone with a bad ESN. So I just met at the store.

The 1st 2 Pre's cost me $200 each, the last 2, brand new, still in the box with the protective film from the factory, cost me $150 each.
    What the heck are you doing with all those Pres? Outfitting the whole neighborhood?
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i agree with everyone here. i have been the seller of MANY Sprint phones in the past and I have met people at the Sprint store to ease their concern.
    If you ask to meet at the VZ store and they dont want to, then I say run away and keep looking.
    If they will meet you at the store, no worries.

I also made sure to explain the situation to the store rep.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    why does it sound like a scam?
    I bought and sold bunch of phones on CL and never had a problem. use common sense, meet in store or public place and activate the phone before you pay.

I would never accept nor pay with paypal in a face to face meeting. That doesn't work with me. So I'm not sure how people let you do that
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    i got my pre + off of cl for $175, i dont know if i would pay $300 for one, and mine cane with everything except otterbox. which im waiting to come through the mail. i know ebay has them for $200-$250.
    why isn't paypal face to face ok? It sends them an email telling them they got the payment. They can log in to their account on a pc or phone and verify the payment on the spot...
    Everyone seems to be assuming that Verizon will put a Sprint ESN on their system. It ain't gonna happen!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    it worked out ok. Got one for 260. We both wanted to meet at vzw. When you supply your own phone there's no warranty or free wifi hotspot. This is slower to type on than a curve I miss push and hold for caps. Otherwise WOW so far.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    When you supply your own phone there's no warranty or free wifi hotspot.
    How did you find this out? I have been trying to get an answer out of Verizon to this question for some time but no one will commit - they all act like sure, shouldn't be a problem but nothing "in writing." I don't want to buy a Pre off craigs if VZW won't give me free hot spot. Did you try and get them to add the hot spot when you were in the store?
    it worked out ok. Got one for 260. We both wanted to meet at vzw. When you supply your own phone there's no warranty or free wifi hotspot. This is slower to type on than a curve I miss push and hold for caps. Otherwise WOW so far.
    So you got Verizon to put a Sprint phone on their network??

Any you can probably add Mobile Hotspot from your online account.
    They should still provide it. It's no different than moving a phone around between family members. Phones are carrier specific, so it came from VZ at some point. MHS comes standard on the phone. If you activate and somehow I'm wrong, you have 30 days to cancel, and you can probably sell th ephone to someone else on Craig's list of you change your mind. Seems low risk to me...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast