1.    #1  
    We are working with a client that is emailing out documents in HTML format. We can open emails with HTML in the body but no the attachments. We can download the file but we just get a "?". If you close the email and open again, you can click on the download file and the browser opens but no content can be displayed.

Is this a bug or another attachment type not supported?
    Maybe the client isn't doing it right?

Does it happen w/other senders also?

I haven't had a problem like that with my Pre.

Have you asked the sender to send it to another email address of yours with a domain other than the one you're having problems with?
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 05/27/2010 at 11:03 AM.
  3. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I can't see pictures in emails sent in HTML format, and they do not show up as attachments either. Just little gray squares in the email body. I can log in to my ISP webmail site and the emails look fine there, just not in the Pre's email program. I figured the Pre would handle these just fine but it doesn't.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Strange problem. It should show HTML, including embedded pictures, fine. Mine does.

If you have any email patches, you might try removing them to see if the problem persists.

Also, is the sender using Outlook with a background? The background may be causing problems.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Are those pictures being called from an outside URL or did you guys embed the images in the email as attachments?

If you're sending out HTML email, if you embed the image into the email, there's a 50/50 chance the receiver won't get it. Ultimately depends on the email client...

I'd resort to linking the images from your servers.
  6.    #6  
    hi, sorry if I wasn't clear in my original posting. I can view HTML emails (text and pictures), the problem is with HTML attachments. I have just read elsewhere that the pre does not support HTML in attachments, there is no way to display HTML files saved locally. So for some inexplicable reason, you can only display pages from websites. I guess this is a carrier restriction to keep traffic volumes up- it is ridiculous limiting the browser in this way.
  7. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    Are those pictures being called from an outside URL or did you guys embed the images in the email as attachments?

If you're sending out HTML email, if you embed the image into the email, there's a 50/50 chance the receiver won't get it. Ultimately depends on the email client...

I'd resort to linking the images from your servers.
    Not sure exactly how they are sent, usually just stupid joke emails with pictures that get forwarded around. I assume they are embedded in the email body. If they were called out with a url then shouldn't they still show? I always have a data connection. I have tried both over 3g and using wifi at the house. Like I said they display fine if I access the webmail page from the browser on my Pre. Its just a pain in the ****!

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
  8. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmprespain View Post
    hi, sorry if I wasn't clear in my original posting. I can view HTML emails (text and pictures), the problem is with HTML attachments. I have just read elsewhere that the pre does not support HTML in attachments, there is no way to display HTML files saved locally. So for some inexplicable reason, you can only display pages from websites. I guess this is a carrier restriction to keep traffic volumes up- it is ridiculous limiting the browser in this way.
    I've noticed that as well. sucks!

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
  9. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Well got another clue. My buddy that sends the ones where pictures don't show are sent directly from his iphone. Perhaps the mail app on the iphone makes changes to the html that effects the ability for the Pre to display the pictures in the email body?

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    When forwarding an HTML e-mail with embedded photos from the Pre, it turns those photos into attachments instead of embedded in the e-mail. Sounds like your friend's iPhone is doing the same thing.

I get HTML e-mails (including those with backgrounds) just fine - in fact, Palm uses HTML in their App Catalog receipts to put their logo and a border on the e-mails. I send and reply to HTML e-mails (including ones with little GIF smilies and backgrounds) just fine most of the time, too, except for one person's e-mail that somehow her background and other images become attachments in my replies when they are sent out (can't see them when I'm typing the message, so can't delete them). Must be the e-mail program she uses (not a big-name one).
    I don't believe webOS has a file handler setup for html file attachments. Maybe a patch could be made since it just needs to use the browser.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  12. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    When forwarding an HTML e-mail with embedded photos from the Pre, it turns those photos into attachments instead of embedded in the e-mail. Sounds like your friend's iPhone is doing the same thing...
    The emails come without any attachments. The only way to see the pictures is to open the email in my ISP's webmail. The pictures show embedded there but not on the Pre.

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    When I get emails from people on Macs (assume iPhone is similar) with pictures, they don't show up in the message as they are supposed to. However, they appear as attachments.

If you tap the attachment to download, it downloads fine, but does not open, with the error about the file handler.

BUT, after downloading the attachments, the pictures then show up in the body of the email. So you can still see them, it's just a little annoying that the experience is inconsistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    The emails come without any attachments. The only way to see the pictures is to open the email in my ISP's webmail. The pictures show embedded there but not on the Pre.
    Try hitting "forward" (you don't have to actually send it) and see if the attachments show up included in the forward (they'll show up at the top as usual and start downloading themselves so they can be sent with the e-mail). I have one person whose attachments I stopped being able to see on my Pre in the message they send (and it doesn't show a paperclip in the Inbox), but when I forward the message, the attachments show up and when I get the message I forwarded to myself the paperclip is in the Inbox and the attachments show in the message. Very strange! It wasn't always that way, but maybe Palm changed something in one of the recent updates that made it that way. It is annoying, to say the least! But, maybe that's what is happening with your friend, too?

If not, how big are the images?

I have one friend who is always forwarding me these dumb forwarded e-mails and I always see the images embedded in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmprespain View Post
    I'd like to bump this thread. What work-arounds exist for being able to display html attachments?
    Bump, I wonder if 2.0 helps with this issue?
  17. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I'm hoping so!

BTW, as far as the "forwarding to see if the pictures show up in the forwarded message" idea... well the answer is still no.

I have confirmed that it doesn't matter if using wifi or 3g connection.

I have also confirmed this has nothing to do with the Ad Blocker patch (removed patch).
    Last edited by mk3; 12/08/2010 at 10:05 PM.

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
  18.    #18  
    We dont have 2.0 in Spain yet so I cant comment. I do hope you can open/ email HTML attachments in WebOS 2.0.

It would also be nice to have more control over images. Few email clients these days display images in emails without asking. I'm sure the Pre has increased SPAM to some of my accounts. The images confirm the email is valid so that they send more...
    Last edited by palmprespain; 12/09/2010 at 02:43 AM.