Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, this is first time it happened to me. I only got usb charger. So I hooked it it last night and I saw the little icon to see it was charging. And I woke up this morning, my battery was almost empty, 6% left, but it's still showing charging on icon. So I pulled out the usb and reconnect, and I saw the recharging icon again. And I went to shower and came back out, it was charging this time. What do you think it happened? Is this something known issue? I was able to make my battery to near 20% before I left my place. Of course, by the time I got to the office, my battery died. Pre battery life is so sad. Near 20% battery drained within one hour.
    I haven't heard of this happening. Others will chime in if they have.

Not to excuse the poor battery life in all smart phones, but Radio shack is closing out Palm accessories. You can get a car adapter and cable for less then $10 right not, and you can get the touchstone for $15 where they still have them. I highly recommend you drive past a radio shack on the way home and get a car charger...
    With all smartphones, it goes without saying that you need more than one way to charge your phone. I have a charger in my room, my home office, my work office, and in the car. I would do the same regardless the smartphone I had... except for Blackberry. Battery life on those is great due to the fact that they are not touchscreen phones.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

This is not an uncommon occurrence. I've had my Pre since September and it's happened about 3 or 4 times. I'm not sure what the cause is but it should not happen often. hasn't happened not in a few months.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  5.    #5  
    Of course have my charger all over the places too, my fully charged Pre Plus won't last more than 6 hours per day. I have it in my room, my computer, my office and my car. Unfortunately, I go to work in NYC. I take public transportation, I can't ask my bus driver to charge my Pre even if I have the car charge with me.
    This happened a couple of times with my first Pre (July 09). It was a bad battery, Sprint replaced it for free. It hasn't happened since.

Make sure you are using the Palm provided A/C adpater. There are some out there that can work with no issues but unless you are absolutely certain of the power specs, stick with the Palm adapter and cable. Some have fried their USB ports with non-palm chargers.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Of course have my charger all over the places too, my fully charged Pre Plus won't last more than 6 hours per day. I have it in my room, my computer, my office and my car. Unfortunately, I go to work in NYC. I take public transportation, I can't ask my bus driver to charge my Pre even if I have the car charge with me.
    lol... that would be fun. Bus drivers are so nice in NYC.

As for the 6 hours battery life, that is not normal. Go back to Verizon and see if they will either give you a new battery, or swap your phone.

Even the non plus version lasts longer than that with heavy use. *For me.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

I have had this happen once had it on charge and woke to a dead phone that's been a few weeks ago before I got the touchstone
    20% in an hour is very dismal unless you were driving through the country with no signal, but that still seems very bad.

With data and gps off, I always get less than 5%/hour drain, usually closer to 2%.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    It's happening to me RIGHT now.
    It's summer, so I don't care as much.... but it is very annoying.

It happened to my old Pre and my new Pre.
    I think it may be battery, but that means both my batteries don't work.
    And well, everytime I use my dad's charger, it works.

Basically, your Pre doesn't hold a charge.
    Call Sprint and tell them.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dfroelich View Post

With data and gps off, I always get less than 5%/hour drain, usually closer to 2%.
    So you are one of those people carrying around your Pre, smartphone, with Data off? Why don't you just get a dumbphone and save yourself a dataplan money every month?

Everytime someone here saying about how turning off the data makes the battery last longer, makes me hate my Pre even more. Our Pre's battery is so pathetic that we have to make it a dumbphone to use it. Android and Iphone forums have their own guide to save battery life but I've never seen anyone recommend people to turn of the data connection. Damn, so sad.
    Make sure you are using a Palm certified charger.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Ok, this is first time it happened to me. I only got usb charger. So I hooked it it last night and I saw the little icon to see it was charging. And I woke up this morning, my battery was almost empty, 6% left, but it's still showing charging on icon. So I pulled out the usb and reconnect, and I saw the recharging icon again. And I went to shower and came back out, it was charging this time. What do you think it happened? Is this something known issue? I was able to make my battery to near 20% before I left my place. Of course, by the time I got to the office, my battery died. Pre battery life is so sad. Near 20% battery drained within one hour.
    This happened to me once also and I was honestly ****ed to wake up to a dead phone. So since then right before bed I just restart my phone and then plug it in. Hasn't happened since. Seems to me it's just a glitch in the OS itself...
    So you are one of those people carrying around your Pre, smartphone, with Data off? Why don't you just get a dumbphone and save yourself a dataplan money every month?

Everytime someone here saying about how turning off the data makes the battery last longer, makes me hate my Pre even more. Our Pre's battery is so pathetic that we have to make it a dumbphone to use it. Android and Iphone forums have their own guide to save battery life but I've never seen anyone recommend people to turn of the data connection. Damn, so sad.

Leaving the data off and not using the phone at its full potential are hardly mutually exclusive. With the device megamix patch, turning on and off the data and gps takes next to no time at all...4 taps. If this saves me a few percent battery every day, no problem, I'll do it. If you don't think it is worth it, then don't bother. If someone is losing 20% in a single hour, it is well worth the time to figure out where that drain is.

If you find yourself with low battery, I'm sure you'd do whatever it takes to make that bit last the rest of the day.

Btw, 90% of my day I am covered by wifi.

You made a lot of assumptions there, so sad.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dfroelich View Post
    If you find yourself with low battery, I'm sure you'd do whatever it takes to make that bit last the rest of the day.
    This is the reason why I don't recommend Pre to anyone I know. Couple of people in my company wants to know about Pre, I told them to wait for next generation. My wife recently got her upgrade, I told her to get Android phone instead of Pre Plus. Why do you think Pre isn't selling well? Honestly, Pre phone wasn't ready to release a year ago, and it's still not ready for mainstream. I feel like we are the beta tester. I really hope that HP QA team is better than the Palm QA team.
    If you're battery can't last 6 hours, even with relatively heavy use, then there is something wrong.

All smartphones, even BB's, will suck the battery down fast if you are constantly using it. The only answer is a larger battery. The Pre has several options along that route. My 8330 Curve would drain nearly as fast as my Pre when under similar workloads (which is difficult to do based on the nature of the BB OS). Everytime I browsed the web for more than 10 minutes on the Curve I was hooking it up to a charger after that.

I use my phone extensively and the worst drain I've accomplished still required over 10 hours just to get into the 30's. I've never had my battery lower.
    It has only happened once since June of 09 and it was on my TS charger. The USB cable was not plugged all the way in on my TS charger.
    ok...apart from that hugh 2600 mah battery, what other one can I get for my pre that will let me have about 10 hours of heavy use playtime?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    ok...apart from that hugh 2600 mah battery, what other one can I get for my pre that will let me have about 10 hours of heavy use playtime?
    The Palm portable generator
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    There's a 2000mAh and an 1800mAh battery. Depending on your definition of heavy use, you might be able to get that with a 1400mAh battery. I can get 8 hours with moderate (overall) use, with 30+% left over; about 2-2.5 hours of browser use and some game time (20-30 minutes). All depends on the condition of your battery, the apps you run in the background, the brightness level, and the signal strength and consistency.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast