Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello!!!

I need help!! I use my current Palm Centro for my business

and I would like to continue with the Palm Pre Plus that I am

getting!

1. How do I transfere my Palm Centro info to new Palm??

2. How do I sync it to my computer directly instead of
    using Gmail or iTunes??

PLEASE Help!!!

Thank You!!!

Joyce
    Palm Pre Outlook Sync Solution - Sync Notes, Tasks and More - PocketMirror Standard by Chapura

i used this when i first got my pre + -- have recently come to rely mostly on google and evernote but it is nice to have the ability to sync my outlook
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    This may or may not help but when I purchased the Palm OEM car charging kit from Radio Shack ( 9 bucks by the way). It came with the charger, cord, and an extra dongle. This dongle has an odd connector at one end so I figured it had something to do with the older Palm devices so I kinda tossed it to the side. Today when I was throwing out the box and instructions I noticed that in the instructions it had a picture of this dongle connected to a Centro and a Pre. Meaning one end was in the Centro and the other connected to a Pre like some sort of tether.

Maybe this was meant to transfer data??? I dunno. Again I don't know if that helps but maybe someone else has experience with this and contribute.
    You will have an opportunity to transfer you contacts and calendar from Palm Desktop to the new Pre when you first set it up.

mespiff's solution will work if you use Outlook. If you want to continue to use Palm Desktop, you can use CompanionLink (about $30) to perform a wired sync that bypasses the cloud. There is also a third-party app called Echo, but I can't tell you anything about it.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 05/27/2010 at 08:31 AM.
    I would help if you gave us a bit more info. What are you wanting to transfer from your Centro? Are you using Outlook or Palm Desktop. If Desktop, use the Palm DTA (Data Transfer Assistant). If Outlook, you could use CompanionLink to move the data to Google, at least contacts and calender. You can also use CompanionLink or PocketMirror to sync to Outlook. Your other Centro data can generally be moved to the USB portion of your Pre; things like photos, videos, documents, etc.
    There is a lot of good information in this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2455859
    The PocketMirror people also do a product for Palm Desktop users, it's called Echo

Echo is the Palm Desktop synchronization solution for Palm Pre
    Last edited by ChasT; 05/27/2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    There is a lot of good information in this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2455859
    Warning: It also contains several of my rants as to why syncing with cloud services isn't an option (for me)... and as I talk to other long-time Palm users, I see just how many people feel the same way - and I wish the 3rd paty vendors would drop the price so we aren't paying more for sync software than for the phone itself... IMHO.

Enjoy!
    First, this has been discussed many times, so a search should turn up lots of good info and avoid redundant threads (I usually use "Advanced Search" and "titles only").

Having said that, Palm provides a Data Transfer Assistant for their old desktop data:

Palm - Run the Data Transfer Assistant for Windows

But you want to make sure you understand "default" accounts in webOS and where you want your data synced before you do this. If you import it to the Palm Profile account you will NOT be able to easily access it from other software/systems.

The new Palm model for Contacts and Calendar is to use "cloud" sync (I like Google personally), so I recommend you give that a try if you can. Otherwise, there are several 3rd party solutions that let you sync Contacts/Calendar with a desktop. For media files, the USB connection lets you just drag-n-drop ... that's easiest IMHO (although I'm still waiting for a good OTA/cloud solution for media).
    @davis.rob

+1
    I think Palm confuses people by letting them think that the Palm Profile is similar to other cloud services like Google, Yahoo, etc. It isn't. It is great for backup/restore to WebOS, but their is no way to access the contacts through a browser or client. People use that one-time DTA to migrate from an old phone, and then they have a hard time getting those contacts moved to a real service. That's one of the reasons why I sync my Pre to Outlook and avoided the cloud services... when I first got my Pre I couldn't afford to learn this the hard way, so i went with a strategy to sync with my PC that I understood. In hindsight, I am sooooo glad I did that.

The cloud stuff is fine for many people, I'm just saying that the role of the Palm Profile isn't intuitive for people that are already using those services through a browser and would assume the Palm Profile would work the same way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Warning: It also contains several of my rants as to why syncing with cloud services isn't an option (for me)...
    And this is new news to us whyyyy?...
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    And this is new news to us whyyyy?...
    The news was to expect to see a bunch of posts about that if he followed that link. Sprinkled amongst those rants is some pretty good info from hparsons and several others to balance out the way I do things. Cuz I probably don't represent the majority of users, and it's important for him to hear from those that are using Synergy the way Palm intended...
    The cloud stuff is fine for many people, I'm just saying that the role of the Palm Profile isn't intuitive for people that are already using those services through a browser and would assume the Palm Profile would work the same way...
    Yeah, the Palm Profile with no way to export your data was a real bad, half-baked idea. There are *sooo...* many threads in here with folks that imported their data, changed their minds, and had no way to move the data.

re: "cloud" data ... I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it's the basis for a lot of what webOS does, so I always try to encourage new users to at least give it a try. You miss out on a lot of features if you insist (or have to) stay with the old Palm desktop-sync paradigm.
    I think Palm missed the boat by not making it easier for people to migrate from Palm Desktop to the cloud paradigm. Data transfer assistant never worked properly for me, and the Palm Profile is a joke: you don't even know what's there and have no way to access that info from a computer. I managed to get all my data over to Google. But I can imagine that a lot of people found that too difficult and gave up on webOS devices.
    I think Palm confuses people by letting them think that the Palm Profile is similar to other cloud services like Google, Yahoo, etc. It isn't. It is great for backup/restore to WebOS, but their is no way to access the contacts through a browser or client...
    Personally, I've hoped (and thought we'd see) Palm "open up" the profile on-line more, enabling things like import/export and possibly even online editing of the contacts. Hopefully, we'll see HP move in this area, since they are more experienced with cloud services.

That said, there's a bit of an issue there. If they were to do that, then they've essentially opened it up as a "cloud service", and introduced all the security issues that .... ahem... some folks are worried about. Maybe a solution would be that the "cloud" option would have to be enabled from the phone itself. Just a thought.
    those are good points. But, creating the ability to export contacts from the palm profile isn't any more of a risk that what verizon does with the myverizon contact backup that they use to back up dumb phones. I can log in to myverizon, and see or edit (or export) my wife's contacts from her featureless dumbphone.

neither palm or verizon are in the business of indexing, linking, or exposing that information to anyone. Major difference. I would have no problem putting them in my palm profile if I could edit/export/sync with outlook.

besides privacy (which I don't consider an issue for palm profile and myverizon) I object to gmail sync because it makes google the controlling point for things. Instead of outlook being the official data source, everything is filtered through gmail, subject to their functional limits, etc. Since I sit in front of an outlook client most of the time, the most effective place for me to work with my info is outlook - arguably more feature rich than google apps. As I've said, the previous paradigm is better for me and MANY long-time palm users, that's why palm dominated the PDA world for sooo many years.

if my wife had a pre, I'd have her syncing to yahoo and Facebook. That's where all her stuff is now, and she used those sites regularly.

I just think the dividing line is with business users that need greater security, and are still using traditional pc tools for these tasks.

for me and others like me, its critical that the official/original data be on my laptop, and any syncing it is to create copies in those other places...

see? That's not just being paranoid, is it?

And considering how paranoid most IT departments are these days, i'm seeing more of them waking up to this issue and banning access for smartphones from many resources - because phones are able to do so much of what used to happen on a pc. They can lock down my pc so I can't do things they don't allow, (and they do). They can control what I can do with my blackberry (and they do). They have no control over a webOS or Android phone so they block them.

I am seeing more often now where friends are having their smartphones restricted or banned for the very reasons I've mentioned. ... Its always good to have choice, and know what to expect. WebOS gives more of both than anything but blackberry. Just sayin'
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/27/2010 at 05:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Yeah, the Palm Profile with no way to export your data was a real bad, half-baked idea. There are *sooo...* many threads in here with folks that imported their data, changed their minds, and had no way to move the data.

re: "cloud" data ... I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it's the basis for a lot of what webOS does, so I always try to encourage new users to at least give it a try. You miss out on a lot of features if you insist (or have to) stay with the old Palm desktop-sync paradigm.
    This is true if you have lots of stuff already in those places. But if you have been keeping everything organized in one place for years (which is why people bought PDAs back then), they aren't really missing out on any features.

For me, any contact I need on my phone has been in outlook for a long time. I may also have them on facebook, twitter, etc. Bu the important thing (dialing the phone, etc) has been well organized on my PC for years. So I have no need to have that linked to whatever is in facebook, linkedin, etc. As I said, many aren't like that, and I think Synergy is awesome. But I'm not missing things if they don't add value. I't kind of like telling me I'm missing out on how fast a Porsche can go on the highway, if the are a farmer and need to plow a field. No benefit in trying to do it with a sports car, major benefit in finding the right tool for the job. Blackberry understood that with Enterprise Server and that's how they were able to climb over Palm when Windows had failed so many times... If Palm is going to return to their place as the default business phone, they will have to understand that. If they just want to capture the iPhone momentum... then Synergy is a fantastic advantage. And since the iPhone juggernaut is where the most market growth is expected, I don't blame Palm for heading in that direction.

As I've said before, I consider all this a positive because with Palm I have the choice. With Android and iPhone, I don't. If they had done a better job with the palm profile to make it better for converting PalmOS users... they would have hit it over the fence. As it is, it looks more like an inside-the-park home run... Not as pretty, but it gets the job done.
    Ahhh, I was agreeing with so much of what you said, until we hit a few small bumps in the road.
    I just think the dividing line is with business users that need greater security, and are still using traditional pc tools for these tasks.

for me and others like me, its critical that the official/original data be on my laptop, and any syncing it is to create copies in those other places...

see? That's not just being paranoid, is it?
    First of all, no, I don't think it's being paranoid at all. It's simply your choice, and even if your reasons for choosing them weren't valid (and I do believe they are valid, for you), you don't need validity. There's no reason in the world that I prefer blue and hate green, I just do. Thus, I buy blue and shun green, without apology.

That said, I don't think your use is really the current "standard" in business. There are few enterprise systems that use standalone Outlook. Most businesses attach that Outlook client to an Exchange server. That's essentially a cloud service, and the Pre acts as another client.

Think of it this way. Your Pre is a client to your Outlook, which is a client to the server.

My Pre is a client to multiple servers, as is my Outlook, and my GroupWise clients. And all of them basically have the same information (GW only has work on it, and Outlook doesn't pull my Google calendars, but you get the point). The great thing is, my Pre gets them all.

And considering how paranoid most IT departments are these days, i'm seeing more of them waking up to this issue and banning access for smartphones from many resources - because phones are able to do so much of what used to happen on a pc. They can lock down my pc so I can't do things they don't allow, (and they do). They can control what I can do with my blackberry (and they do). They have no control over a webOS or Android phone so they block them.

I am seeing more often now where friends are having their smartphones restricted or banned for the very reasons I've mentioned. ... Its always good to have choice, and know what to expect. WebOS gives more of both than anything but blackberry. Just sayin'
    On this one, I have to partially disagree. While it's true that some enterprises block smartphones, I'd hazard an educated guess that most don't. But the really enlighteded IT departments would allow the Pre, and lock it down with EAS (Exchange Active Sync). While nowhere nearly as versitile as BES (Blackberry Enterprise System), it not only performs some of the needed basics, but is picking up steam as time goes on. I suspet, knowing Microsoft's track record in the enterprise field, we'll see something close to BB parity within 3-5 years.
    The problem with a lot of shopes though, is that IT professionals are like any other, we sometimes get in a rut, and would prefer enforcing current rules instead of learning new systems and their capabilities. I've set up and managed EAS systems for a few small companies; but unfortunately, where I work now, it's a BB/BES only shop, and even then only one particular model BB. THAT's how locked down we are.
    For me, any contact I need on my phone has been in outlook for a long time. I may also have them on facebook, twitter, etc. Bu the important thing (dialing the phone, etc) has been well organized on my PC for years. So I have no need to have that linked to whatever is in facebook, linkedin, etc. As I said, many aren't like that, and I think Synergy is awesome. But I'm not missing things if they don't add value...
    And again, nothing wrong with your choice, but I think you're overlooking one bit of the puzzle. Linking to LinkedIn and FaceBook does add value. The information on those two in particular are controlled by the contacts, rather than having you control them. So, if my email address changes in either of them, it changes on your Pre.

If you're linked to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And again, nothing wrong with your choice, but I think you're overlooking one bit of the puzzle. Linking to LinkedIn and FaceBook does add value. The information on those two in particular are controlled by the contacts, rather than having you control them. So, if my email address changes in either of them, it changes on your Pre.

If you're linked to them.
    Excellent point. of course, all but two of my face book friends live in my house... So I would know before FaceBook if there was a change!

But your point is correct. Well played, good sir.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast