Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
    This may or may not help but when I purchased the Palm OEM car charging kit from Radio Shack ( 9 bucks by the way). It came with the charger, cord, and an extra dongle. This dongle has an odd connector at one end so I figured it had something to do with the older Palm devices so I kinda tossed it to the side. Today when I was throwing out the box and instructions I noticed that in the instructions it had a picture of this dongle connected to a Centro and a Pre. Meaning one end was in the Centro and the other connected to a Pre like some sort of tether.

Maybe this was meant to transfer data??? I dunno. Again I don't know if that helps but maybe someone else has experience with this and contribute.
    sorry,just an adapter so you can also charge a Centro.
  2.    #22  
    Thank you!!! I use my Centro a( and all of my past Palms) for my business...

I do not want my contact and date book floating around in cyberspace!!!

It is not safe nor secure. I really want the Pre Plus because my Centro is

on its last leg!!! Thanks again!!! Joyce
    so joyce, how can we help your dreams come true?
  4.    #24  
    I want to sync my new Palm Pre Plus to my computer!!

How is Companion Link??? Was just reading up on it!!

Please make my dreams come true and not give me a Headache

all the time!!! Time is running out on my trusty Centro!!!

Thanks, Joyce!!!
    ok, here we go...

What are you syncing with today? Outlook? Palm Desktop?

If you are syncing with Palm desktop, Companionlink is the way to go. If you are syncing with Palm Desktop, CompanionLink and Pocket Mirror are excellent choices.

Differences: CompanionLink uses the USB connection. Pocket Mirror is wireless - WiFi or BlueTooth.

So, what are we syncing with, and do we have WiFi in our house? And, did you already load your contacts on to your Pre?
    I should mention that I used them both. I ended up going with Pocket Mirror because of the wireless sync.
  7.    #27  
    Hi Cant !!!
    I use Palm Desktop... USB Cable as well... My husband want me to ask you this question...

He found an app called the Classic for the pre... it make the Pre becomes/

function like the centro??? He wants to know if you need the Classic to hot sync

the original info from the centro to the new Pre??? I said no but he wants

me to ask anyway??? I have not yet loaded anything into the Pre ...Because

I don't have it yet!! Doing extensive research before I get it!! Bottom line...

I lost all of my information once and I have been using a Palm product of some type

since my first Palm Pilot!!!!!Thank G-d a nice smart person from Plam made me copy

all of my info in my Desktop first....only lost 2 weeks....So now you know why I am so

nervous.... My question is... Does the Companion Link use the same desktop Palm that

I have now or does it create a new one?? I am very computer savve...Just

don't like change too much!!! I looked at the Missing Sync but that is Wi-Fi too..

Since your last device was the Centro...Please let me know how easy it

was to get used to??? I am really looking forward to hearing back from you!!!

Thank you in advance!!! Joyce

P.S. The Pre does have a navigation button?? sort of???
    I will have to type more when I get back to my pc, but to start - every option you are considering will work with your current desktop. More on that later...

on the topic of 'classic', I don't recommend it for you, because there are native options for the pre that will serve you better. Classic is more for apps that you can't live without but can't get for webOS.

for navigation... Takes some getting used to but its usable. Basically you hold one fingure on the gesture area and you swipe a finger on the screen to move the cursor. More later when I am not thumb typing...
  9.    #29  
    Hi....

Thank you sooo much....Look forward to hearing form you later!!!

Joyce
  10.    #30  
    Hi...One more question???

Do you get a lot of Dropped calls with the Pre??? I don't know it if is

The phone or the AT&T service But there are a lot od dropped

calls lately??? I live in NY and my Best friend is in FLA..

She has the iPhone...I would never get it...she has about

10 dropped calls a day!!! Horrible if you use your phone for

a business!! Thanks again.... Joyce!
    her issue is probably at&t. All my at&t friends have that problem. That's why I switched from at&t more than5 years ago. VZ service rocks. People tell me that call quality is better on my Pre+ than my centro.

tell your husband to look at uberkernal and govna cuz you will want to overclock! Your iphone friends will be jealous.

ps. I willprobably recommend companionlink, but that means plugging a cable into the plastic phone. There is no cradle or dedicated plug like the centro...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/29/2010 at 03:02 PM.
  12.    #32  
    Hi...

It works with the USB cable right???

One more question.... When you put in the sym card into the

Pre.....What happens??

What is converted??? Thank you for all your help!!!

Joyce

I have VZ home phone...VZ DSL at both my home and office..

AND not on contract at AT&T???? What about my friend in

Fla??? do they have like direct Mobile to Mobile calls on any

calls?? is the Pre Phone the same at AT&T and VZ...

Sorry for all the questions but you are very helpful!!

Thanks!!
    out shopping for an air conditioner so pardon the short sentances...

are you planning to get a Pre+ from at&t or verizon?

att uses a sym. Vz doesn't. There are several differences between the service each offers. I recommend you pick your carrier first. The Pre is identical on both (other than the sum card). The difference is the hotspot app. Free for life if you buy now. Not sure if they will stop that on June 1st.

usb cable works fine. But over time some have reported cracks developing around the port. Not conclusive that the usb cable causes it, because some reported it without ever using the plug. I had one crack that I had only plugged in once to install preware.

so, you pick your carrier while I pick my air conditioner. Once you have that, I'll be able to type on a pc.

also need to know if you do most of your add/change/ delete on your computer or on your phone. And what email service you use...
  14.    #34  
    Ok...Be Back Later...Good Luck On you AC!!

Joyce
    Quote Originally Posted by JLHSW1 View Post
    Hi Cant !!!
    I use Palm Desktop... USB Cable as well... My husband want me to ask you this question...

He found an app called the Classic for the pre... it make the Pre becomes/

function like the centro??? He wants to know if you need the Classic to hot sync

the original info from the centro to the new Pre??? I said no but he wants

me to ask anyway??? I have not yet loaded anything into the Pre ...Because

I don't have it yet!! Doing extensive research before I get it!! Bottom line...

I lost all of my information once and I have been using a Palm product of some type

since my first Palm Pilot!!!!!Thank G-d a nice smart person from Plam made me copy

all of my info in my Desktop first....only lost 2 weeks....So now you know why I am so

nervous.... My question is... Does the Companion Link use the same desktop Palm that

I have now or does it create a new one?? I am very computer savve...Just

don't like change too much!!! I looked at the Missing Sync but that is Wi-Fi too..

Since your last device was the Centro...Please let me know how easy it

was to get used to??? I am really looking forward to hearing back from you!!!

Thank you in advance!!! Joyce

P.S. The Pre does have a navigation button?? sort of???
    you don't need classic if you use chapura or the other solutions -- i purchased classic and it is a very expensive ap that after you become comfortable with webos you will never use -- thirty dollars is way to costly for this ap -- the only thing that i use it for is truda and rarely for that -- if they come out with a webos version of this i will delete classic from my pre
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    joyce, do you currently use your Centro to tether your pc for internet access when travelling?

and do you work more in front of a pc, or mostly from your phone on the move?
    run over to radio shack and get an extra palm-brand car charger and touchstone now, while they are closing them out. You will thank me for the savings and the convenience. Call ahead. The $50 touchstones have been on sale under $20 at radio shack (and maybe best buy)

don't buy any chargers other than palm brand, but get them on sale if you can find them... I have 5 of them...
  18.    #38  
    Hi Cant...
    Well I hope you had good luck finding a good AC!!! Guess what I got??

The Pre from AT&T!!!! Went in to talk to them about the sym Card...they

took it out and exchanged it and guess what?? They phone stopped working

completely!!! SO...I had no choice but to get he Pre...BUT,...I LOVE IT!!!

( IN THE SHORT FEW HOURS THAT i HAVE IT!!) Now that is out of

the way.... Oh...they were able to transfere my Numbers..all 957 of them!

So now we come to the CompanionLink for Palm Desktop???

OH...they also included a Touchstone, a bluetooth that hooks up

with the car radio, a case and a car charger (not plam )...I guess

they didn;t want me to leave and I waas at the store a lot!!!

So please explain how the CompanionLink works..OK???

Thanks for all your help!!! Joyce
    Joyce, I created a new thread to consolidate my ramblings about how to systematically migrate from your Centro to your new Pre+

I thought that was better than sending you to several threads that contain ideas, arguments, and alternative. Please read through the first few threads, and let me know if it makes sense. I'd suggest that you post questions there, so we can keep the dialog in one place and focused on the specifics of migrating. After you and/or your husband have reviewed this, let me know if I need to clarify or add to what I've written. Thanks!

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post2481796

I'm worried that they already transferred all your numbers. You will understand that when you read the thread I just mentioned. Please make sure you have lots of back ups... Did they load all your contacts into your Palm profile? I'm not exactly sure how CompanionLink will handle contacts from your Palm profile... Read those posts, and post your questions there or PM me.

Welcome to the webOS family!
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/30/2010 at 12:13 AM.
  20.    #40  
    P.S. I use my phone all the time..for everything!!! .I only use my PC for

some Internet and Microsoft Word... OH..and I make my

own Business Cards!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast