1.    #1  
    I had recently set an auto lock pin on my phone, just a 4 digit PIN, 6212. Now I go to respond to a text, and I enter 6212, but my phone does not accept it, it says that I entered an invalid password. I KNOW i set it for 6212...

So I install the Bypass Pin patch from WOSQI, and I can access my phone... but now whenever I open my phone the lock screen shows up for a second or two before my phone "unlocks." I went back into screen and lock, to remove the pin, but I cannot remove it because it says my pin is invalid!

I can gain access to my phone again but how do I remove that pin permanently?
    Phones -> Motorola i60c, i80, i215, i730, i880(maroon), Samsung Instinct(SPH-M800), Palm Pre

Palm Devices ->3com Palm III, Palm m100, m130, m500, Zire 71, PalmOne Zire 72, LifeDrive, Palm Pre
    Do you have the PIN active because you are on an Exchange server for email?
  3.    #3  
    nope, no exchange. just a pin to stop nosy people from rooting through my phone
    Phones -> Motorola i60c, i80, i215, i730, i880(maroon), Samsung Instinct(SPH-M800), Palm Pre

Palm Devices ->3com Palm III, Palm m100, m130, m500, Zire 71, PalmOne Zire 72, LifeDrive, Palm Pre
    Hm I wonder if you doctor your phone would that work...
    I would say the Dr is your only hope. Hopefully Palm has not gotten cute and stored the Pin in the profile so that it restores when you connect to the Palm profile.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmhanson View Post
    I would say the Dr is your only hope. Hopefully Palm has not gotten cute and stored the Pin in the profile so that it restores when you connect to the Palm profile.
    Man... I had JUST gotten my pre to how i like it with regards to patches and homebrew apps! but I am not giving up just yet! does anybody know where the PIN is stored in the linux subsystem? It has to be somewhere...

Go to palm's website, there is a section on resetting your pin if you forgot it. I will try to find the link but try a search in the meantime.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Go to palm's website, there is a section on resetting your pin if you forgot it. I will try to find the link but try a search in the meantime.
    I tried this link: Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Screen lock is on, and I've forgotten my PIN or password
    But it tells me to conduct a full erase on my phone... Thanks for your efforts though.

So far I checked /etc/passwd, but as I kind of expected, the pin wasn't there

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    After reading your thread, I'm thinking ima get rid of my PIN while I still can! It was pretty annoying anyway! GL with yours!
  10.    #10  
    OK, so this was what was located inside my /etc/passwd file:
    bin:*:2:2:bin:/bin:/bin/sh
    sys:*:3:3:sys:/dev:/bin/sh
    sync:*:4:65534:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
    games:*:5:60:games:/usr/games:/bin/sh
    man:*:6:12:man:/var/cache/man:/bin/sh
    lp:*:7:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/bin/sh
    mail:*:8:8:mail:/var/mail:/bin/sh
    news:*:9:9:news:/var/spool/news:/bin/sh
    uucp:*:10:10:uucp:/var/spool/uucp:/bin/sh
    proxy:*:13:13roxy:/bin:/bin/sh
    pulse:*:31:31ulse:/var/run/pulse:/bin/sh
    www-data:*:33:33:www-data:/var/www:/bin/sh
    backup:*:34:34:backup:/var/backups:/bin/sh
    list:*:38:38:Mailing List Manager:/var/list:/bin/sh
    irc:*:39:39:ircd:/var/run/ircd:/bin/sh
    gnats:*:41:41:Gnats Bug-Reporting System (admin):/var/lib/gnats:/bin/sh
    nobody:*:65534:65534:nobody:/nonexistent:/bin/sh
    luna:*:1000:1000:luna:/nonexistent:/bin/false
    oprofile:*:1001:1001profile:/nonexistent:/bin/false
    Now all the *'s mean that the password is encrypted. now they are supposed to be hashed in a file called /etc/shadow, but that file doesnt exist....

I think you are SOL. Any storage of the PIN on the device would be encrypted and thus immune to your attempts (or a hackers) to reset it. This is one of those conundrums - you need to know the PIN to remove the PIN that you don't know.

Since the Palm guidance is a full erase (which would obviously wipe out the storage of the encrypted PIN) I think that is going to be your only way of resetting.

Just for grins and giggles -- did 6212 ever work for you? You don't say. The reason I ask is that you could try other numbers close to that, if you fat fingered it on entry: 6222, 6211, 6221, etc.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I think you are SOL. Any storage of the PIN on the device would be encrypted and thus immune to your attempts (or a hackers) to reset it. This is one of those conundrums - you need to know the PIN to remove the PIN that you don't know.
    you're not as immune as you think... All a hacker needs is the hashed(encrypted) password, and then they can run it through a rainbow table using a program like Ophcrack, and most passwords that could be found in a dictionary list can be decrypted in under a few hours, away from the victim machine.
    Rainbow table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They could also be bruteforced, depending on the complexity. if a password could be made up of any typeable charater(150ish) up to a length of 64 letters, bruteforcing would theoretically take years. but since I know that mine is a numeric password (1-0), with a length of 3-5 digits, it can be easily bruteforced in about an hour

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Just for grins and giggles -- did 6212 ever work for you? You don't say. The reason I ask is that you could try other numbers close to that, if you fat fingered it on entry: 6222, 6211, 6221, etc.
    Yep, i spent about an hour trying any combination of keys i might've fat-fingered, but thanks for the suggestion

Sounds like a fun little project you've created for yourself, here. Any progress thus far?

edit: as an aside, there seems to be a "saved package list" option in Preware, which might aid in recovering all your current packages should you have to do a restore. I'm new to the platform after learning of the new iPhone / iOS4's underwhelming features, so pardon if I'm a tad too obvious
    Last edited by kaervek; 06/22/2010 at 12:28 AM.
    One thing I can suggest is (now this is if you don't want to do the full erase, no need to jump to the doctor that is for sure) is to try various of the password 6212. It may be possible that you "fat fingered" or minor dyslexia kicked in and instead of 6212 you ended up with 6221 as a password.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Im on the same boat, has anyone gotten anywhere with this? i need to change the pin after i applyd the patch. I don't want to wipe out my ph, and have to install everything again. Any other ideas?