1.    #1  
    I have had a Pre since June 09 and have only had this one. Fairly lucky for the most part and able to find solutions thru the forums for little problems. However my center button now will flash after I close out of the web and sometimes in e-mail. And it will flash or stay lit for 10 to 15 secs at a time. While it does this, the phone and web icon on the launcher bar will not respond while the button is lit, but the launcher icon, e-mail icon and camera icon will respond when touched. It seems like only the left side of the gesture area won't work. While it is lit and if I drag the launcher bar up like a wave, then the web and phone icons are responsive. I have turned off blink notif., have done numerous reboots, pulled the battery, and have done the interactive tests under the device info and no luck in solving the mysterious blinking/solid center button. Hope to find solution to avoid going to Sprint and having to use their "expert" technicians. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, doug
    This happened to me one day a couple of months back.

The gesture bar (even the small gesture dots) would light up randomly and stay lit for no apparent reason, and a lot of my screen was entirely unresponsive; for example, I could not activate anything on the launcher bar, BUT I could access the launcher and some of the apps in it by swiping up from the wallpaper scene.

It was weird like that for a day - I pulled the battery once or twice that day, but it didn't help none. And I was out and busy, so there was nothing more that I could've done. But then, that evening, the phone became unresponsive and eventually crashed. It rebooted, but now the phone was unusable - it did still respond, in a fashion, but it could take twenty seconds to register you tapping somewhere, and it would boot with a TMC notification open. Tap that away and the next would open. Whenever the dialog actually registers your tap.

In any other environment my phone would have been bricked, but since it's running webOS, it was merely palmed. A phone that's bricked behaves like a brick. A phone that's palmed behaves as if thrown into a palm tree. Where it magically hangs on to something. You can't fix a brick, you can only send it in to people who might be able to unbrick it. But you can climb into a palm tree to get your phone out. And Palm provides you with a convenient ladder.

When I tried to doctor my phone, the doctor wouldn't recognize my Pre over USB, so I RTFM, put it in USB Mode manually, doctored back to 1.1 to overwrite the USB partition, doctored up to whatever was current then, and was ready to go once all my data had synced back. The whole doctoring quest took me less than an hour, and the syncing another hour or so.

With me, i think the error was something to do with Preware as it started when I was working with Preware and the phone suddenly crashed. I guess it must've been writing something and the crash interrupted that. Did something like that happen to you?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/26/2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: fixed html
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    My center button likes to stay on at times for me as well. I seem to notice it does this mostly from Luna and Full restarts.
    Not a huge deal as just tapping the gesture area corrects the problem for me.
    Everybody wants some!..
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

It was weird like that for a day - I pulled the battery once or twice that day, but it didn't help none....

In any other environment my phone would have been bricked, but since it's running webOS, it was merely palmed. A phone that's bricked behaves like a brick. A phone that's palmed behaves as if thrown into a palm tree. Where it magically hangs on to something. You can't fix a brick, you can only send it in to people who might be able to unbrick it. But you can climb into a palm tree to get your phone out. And Palm provides you with a convenient ladder.
    I don't condone the use of double negatives but I defiantly like how well 'Palmed' fits the situation.
    Thank you. And I definitely like how well Palm handles situations like those. The only way to actually brick a Palm is by using a brick...
    I noticed this too. It is very rare. When it does happen, I just tap the gesture area and it's fixed. A small glitch, but not enough to bother me.
  7.    #7  
    is it possible to have a virus or something like that on the pre? if so, how does one go about getting rid of it, or do i need to go to the webdoctor and reset the phone back to factory setting. if i do that, what do i do about the downloads from app catalog, contacts, etc? any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  8.    #8  
    Just a quick follow-up. I went into Sprint on 6-1-10 and had my Pre checked out and they couldn't tell me why it was acting the way it was and tried to tell me that it was having issues w/ the touchscreen because of the screen protector I had on the face. I told them that protector has been on there since the first month I had the phone. So they said they would send me another phone and it should be here around Thursday (6-3-10). Well the misses calls me at work today around 13:00 hrs and says that I had a package from UPS. I almost dropped the phone when she opened the box and she said it was my replacement phone! Talk about quick!! Anywho, now how does one tell if the phone they sent is an actual new phone or a refurbished one? Am curious and anxious to get home tomorrow and check it out. Kinda like Christmas in June. Thanks again for the responses.