Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. Mutz's Avatar
    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
       #1  
    I just got my Pre a few days ago. Is it not possible to charge the Pre on the touchstone with the power turned off? I tried that for a while yesterday but it seemed like the battery % level was lower when I turned it back on (about an hour later) than it was when I put in on the touchstone. Seems weird if you have to have the device powered on to charge it on the touchstone. No other phone I've owned needed to be ON to charge the battery.
  2. edoeding's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #2  
    nope. pre turns on when enough juice is there.
  3. #3  
    Hmmm... I power my Pre completely off and then set it on the TouchStone - it powers itself back up and charges. I figured that maybe it was because there was a manager that needed to run to monitor the TC charging... but I got the same result when I powered down and plugged in via USB. I never noticed this before since I rarely turn my phone off (outside of restarting).

    I'm not sure if you are just making an observation, or if this is a concern for some reason. I suppose if you simply don't want calls during the night while it charges, to just put it in Airplane Mode instead of powering down. Looks like it's just part of how this system is currently set up.

    PS... sorry the guys in the other thread gave you a hard time about asking this question there. It shouldn't have been a problem and should have been able to have been answered there. Sorry for any rudeness!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/26/2010 at 02:00 PM.
  4. Mutz's Avatar
    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
       #4  
    Thanks for the responses. It just seemed odd to me that the phone would not charge while it was powered off. And it didn't turn itself on when I set it on the TS, as you described yours doing. Maybe I didn't have mine positioned on the TS properly?
    Anyways, the reason I was attempting to charge the device while powered off was because of another somewhat related issue which is becoming a bit annoying. I have been setting the phone to Airplane mode before setting it on the charger at night. And every night between 3:00-4:00am it starts to chime the system notification sound and the unlock PIN pad appears on the screen...and stays lit until I remove the phone from the charger and enter my PIN and then press the power button to turn off the screen again. The first time it happened I thought I must have received an alert for something, but there were no alert icons of any sort on the screen. Next night the same thing again. And the next night too...etc. etc. Can't figure out WHY it wakes up in the middle of the night wanting me to enter the screen unlock PIN. Any ideas???
    That is why I wanted to charge the battery with the unit powered OFF...so it wouldn't wake me up every night! LOL
  5. #5  
    ahh... it becomes clear! Personally, I turned off the PIN screen for my phone as it annoyed me, so I'm not sure why the device would do that every night. I'll do some digging and see if there is anything about this. In the meantime, you could always slide your ringer switch to the "off" position to kill the alarm, but it will silence all others too (in case you were using it to wake up in the morning). Strange... very strange...
  6. #6  
    Once you have it on the touchstone, you can power it off. Of course, then it's like the refrigerator light... how do I tell if it's charging if I can't look at the screen?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutz View Post
    Thanks for the responses. It just seemed odd to me that the phone would not charge while it was powered off. And it didn't turn itself on when I set it on the TS, as you described yours doing. Maybe I didn't have mine positioned on the TS properly?
    Anyways, the reason I was attempting to charge the device while powered off was because of another somewhat related issue which is becoming a bit annoying. I have been setting the phone to Airplane mode before setting it on the charger at night. And every night between 3:00-4:00am it starts to chime the system notification sound and the unlock PIN pad appears on the screen...and stays lit until I remove the phone from the charger and enter my PIN and then press the power button to turn off the screen again. The first time it happened I thought I must have received an alert for something, but there were no alert icons of any sort on the screen. Next night the same thing again. And the next night too...etc. etc. Can't figure out WHY it wakes up in the middle of the night wanting me to enter the screen unlock PIN. Any ideas???
    That is why I wanted to charge the battery with the unit powered OFF...so it wouldn't wake me up every night! LOL
    If you turn the volume down, would you still hear it? I don't use a PIN, so that's an entire level of hassle I am apparently avoiding.

    I have all the charge notifications patched to off, and the phone goes into and out of airplane mode automatically with the battery saver app. I even have it automatically boot right before morning with boot scheduler, just so I know the day will start off nice and fresh...
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    ahh... it becomes clear! Personally, I turned off the PIN screen for my phone as it annoyed me, so I'm not sure why the device would do that every night. I'll do some digging and see if there is anything about this. In the meantime, you could always slide your ringer switch to the "off" position to kill the alarm, but it will silence all others too (in case you were using it to wake up in the morning). Strange... very strange...
    One slight correction: turning off the ringer switch will not silence the clock app alarm (unless you choose that option in the clock preferences).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  9. #9  
    fyi, ringer switch doesn't silence the alarms.... but the volume switch does... I've missed a few things before I learned that little item...
  10. Mutz's Avatar
    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
       #10  
    @HelloNNNewman:

    Thanks for your input. Yeah, last night I did slide the sounds switch to the OFF position so I could get a full night's sleep but I found myself still waking up in the middle of the night just to check to see if the unlock PIN pad screen had appeared yet lol At 3:00am it was still asleep (just showing the dim clock display) so I rolled over and went back to sleep. But just after 4:00am I opened my eyes again and checked and there it was....the dreaded PIN pad screen all lit up and staring me in the face! I was thinking maybe I had a clock alarm set which was waking it up at that ungodly hour, but nope, no alarms were set. So, it has me pretty baffled at this point. I hope you might be able to come up with a cure for my Pre's insomnia...lol Shutting off the sound keeps it from making noises during the night, but of course, that doesn't address why it figures it needs to in the first place...
  11. #11  
    By the way, if you turn it off while it is on the touchstone, I'm pretty sure it doesn't charge... I don't know if that is also true when charging through the USB port...
  12. Mutz's Avatar
    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
       #12  
    "By the way, if you turn it off while it is on the touchstone, I'm pretty sure it doesn't charge".

    Yes, that was my observation some days ago. HelloNNNewman said that his will power itself back up again when set on the touchstone, but mine didn't even do that. it stayed off and the battery level slowly continued to drop instead of recharging as I had hoped.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutz View Post
    @HelloNNNewman:

    Thanks for your input. Yeah, last night I did slide the sounds switch to the OFF position so I could get a full night's sleep but I found myself still waking up in the middle of the night just to check to see if the unlock PIN pad screen had appeared yet lol At 3:00am it was still asleep (just showing the dim clock display) so I rolled over and went back to sleep. But just after 4:00am I opened my eyes again and checked and there it was....the dreaded PIN pad screen all lit up and staring me in the face! I was thinking maybe I had a clock alarm set which was waking it up at that ungodly hour, but nope, no alarms were set. So, it has me pretty baffled at this point. I hope you might be able to come up with a cure for my Pre's insomnia...lol Shutting off the sound keeps it from making noises during the night, but of course, that doesn't address why it figures it needs to in the first place...
    I've had similar issues. pre wakes up at night while on touchstone. no new notifications, just the screen lights up. I don't have screen lock on so I don't think that is the issue. Mine is a bit more sporadic though and doesn't happen every night. I will just wake up to the bright light of the screen for no reason. I've started covering it with the little pouch that came with it just so the light won't wake me. Weird... it's like it just need attention I reach over and hit the power button once and it goes back to dim clock
  14. #14  
    it doesn't power back on if you don't touch it, but if you take it off and then put it back on, it will power back on... The thing to remember is that the brains of the charging system are in the phone, so it has to be on to charge. That's how they were able to make the ac adapter and touchstone devices so tiny...
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it doesn't power back on if you don't touch it, but if you take it off and then put it back on, it will power back on...
    Not on mine.... I powered it down fully, then placed it on the TS. It immediately powered back on. Of course, perhaps its different when you power it down when it's already on the TS?

    EDIT: Just saw your post about this above... Thanks
  16. Mutz's Avatar
    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman1113 View Post
    I will just wake up to the bright light of the screen for no reason. I've started covering it with the little pouch that came with it just so the light won't wake me. Weird... it's like it just need attention I reach over and hit the power button once and it goes back to dim clock
    Maybe I should try tucking mine in at night with a little blankey and a pillow and see if that helps. If not, I might have to sing it a lullaby until it goes back to sleep. LOL This is too weird. LOL
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutz View Post
    Maybe I should try tucking mine in at night with a little blankey and a pillow and see if that helps. If not, I might have to sing it a lullaby until it goes back to sleep. LOL This is too weird. LOL
    LOL that was funny... didn't think of it that way but I guess that is kind of what I've done huh? tuck in with blanky...
  18. rburna's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #18  
    lighting up on the TS happened to me too. i found that it is because it does the "touchstone dance". if u don't know, TS dance is when it disconnects n reconnects charging. i found it to be more of a positional thing majority of the time, which really sucks. because before bed, it'll be fine on the TS, charging happily, then at 4-5 am it'll start doing the TS dance. now, when i place the pre on the TS, i wiggle it around until it is firmly seated and more difficult to pull off. no more TS dance.
  19. Mutz's Avatar
    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rburna View Post
    lighting up on the TS happened to me too. i found that it is because it does the "touchstone dance". if u don't know, TS dance is when it disconnects n reconnects charging. i found it to be more of a positional thing majority of the time, which really sucks. because before bed, it'll be fine on the TS, charging happily, then at 4-5 am it'll start doing the TS dance. now, when i place the pre on the TS, i wiggle it around until it is firmly seated and more difficult to pull off. no more TS dance.
    Wow, interesting discovery! LOL
    So, not only does it wake up wanting attention at night, it's looking for a dance partner too! LOL I'll have to try wiggling mine around a bit tonight when I put it to bed and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip!
  20. dubldare's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #20  
    I've noticed something similiar, and not just the 'ts dance' which has the ever annoying 'dind-dong' that makes me want to crush the phone. I have found that in addition to making sure the Pre is seated on the ts, cleaning the contacts on the ts back once in a while helps a bunch.
    Anyways, if I'm sleeping lightly at 3am, I sometimes notice the screen lighting up... when it's not on the charger. Unlock screen is displayed for ~10 seconds and off it goes. Not really a big deal to me, but I kinda wonder why. My Treo 650 did that every night at 3am. Weird.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions