Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im feeling a little melancholy theses days.

No real anticipation in the air.. whats new and exciting in Pre world?

We waited with eager anticipation for Video recording, now its here

We watched as the smart dudes worked out overclocking, , now its here.

We have patches and apps galore..

What can we be excited about now?

I would LOVE real text editing and file saving, but that doesnt seem to be happening, I would LOVE an FTP client, but that too seems not happening.

So.?? Where is the love? Where is the nervous anticipation of watching this forum day and night to see the next big thing??

I want my NEXT BIG thing!

Any ideas, rumors, thoughts..

Anything????

I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Flash, Voice Dialing.. Mic API access..
    How about a new phone Palm! That would nice.
    I think this summer's going to be pretty quiet, unless Palm drops a bomb on us (in a good way). We'll be getting mic and better camera API's "by the Fall," along with some other very nice webOS updates (including CSS transforms, which will really speed things up). In fact, the roadmap for webOS has never been more clear or exciting--problem is, it's nothing that's going to happen soon.

Same with Flash and new hardware. Who knows (and, really, who cares?) when Flash will be released, and although we can be sure that new hardware is coming, we have no idea when that might be. All of the signs indicate, though, that it won't be until the end of the summer.

So, I think we'll be in this state until August, at which point I think the news will start coming hot and heavy. Note that this isn't coincidentally when the HP acquisition will be final...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Hi dianehelen,

Yup.. there's going to be up's and down's in the excitement factor and right now we seem to be in the in-between stage of WebOS. I think the excitement is hovering and waiting for the HP buyout to finalize and see where that takes us. Personally, here's what still has my excitement (to a point):
    • possible new phone this summer/fall?
    • HP announcement once buyout finalized
    • upcoming FLASH release for webOS (it would be nice - but I dont' really care at this point)
    • release of HP/Palm webOS tablet (my personal favorite) totally want one!
    The hardware accelerated CSS transforms and UI improvements are what I'm most looking forward to
    I agree with the OP.....we have androids phones spreading like bad infection and new iphone coming out soon.....need some luv from PALM
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    What would be amazing if Palm / HP have been working on 2-3 products in secret (ala Pre) that they will announce the day the buyout is complete... that would be unbelievable!
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Flash was something i was waiting for but from reading adobe forums they are blaming the delay on the hp/palm merger...**sigh**
    I'd like to see a good bookmark manager and photo editer/manager. Oh, much improved battery life too.
    Quote Originally Posted by holdfast View Post
    I'd like to see a good bookmark manager and photo editer/manager. Oh, much improved battery life too.
    There is an app in the Catalog called Photo Effects Plus (and a Free version).. have you taken a look at it?
    I agree OP. Used to be I would fire up Preware twice a day to see what new patches/homebrews were there. Lately the flood of these has turned into a trickle. I have to rely on using my Pre as a phone for excitement ;-).
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    [*]release of HP/Palm webOS tablet (my personal favorite) totally want one![/LIST]

I am totally with you on this... I plan on getting 2-3 (wife, myself, and kitchen for recipes) but really need document editing.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I'll tell you what excites me at the moment:

1) I just had to replace my Pre Plus. This is as tight and solid as any phone I've seen. The slider is almost too tight. It's a standard VZ refurb, and it's better than any brand new one I've had or seen. I am impressed, and hoping I never have to exchange it because this is too good to be true.

2) In moving to the replacement, I got another chance to use the save/restore and preware restore stuff. All I can say is "wow!" after that. My phone arrived at 11am on a saturday, and it was fully back to 50+ patches and massive amounts of tweeking before we left the house at 2pm. Most of that recovery was done on it's own while I was doing something else. Even apps where I used to lose my data came across beautifully. Previous doctoring had turned in to all day manual tweaking, downloading each preware element manually. my first attempt at using the automated stuff back at the 1.4.1.1 update gave me less than 80% success - not bad, but I still had to do a lot of it the hard way.

This time? Oh my goodness. I only missed a couple of items from being 100%, and those were my fault because I accidentally deleted them. Totally my fault. I could have started over and had it all succeed, but it was easier to add them back from the car than start over.

So, I'm excited about build quality (I was already excited about the Pre design - I like the Pre design) And I'm excited about the amazing ability to restore all of the homebrew stuff with very little effort beyond what is required to restore from my Palm Profile. The time saved and reliability is impressive...

And when I have the time to play with them, I am going to be excited about zcorder and the free "music ringtones" apps...
    I thought i was the only one who became bored!....i kept trying to play sky climber but the game is so laggy, i cant deal with it. I tried the iPhone version. Lo and behold, it had a better interface and it wasnt laggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    There is an app in the Catalog called Photo Effects Plus (and a Free version).. have you taken a look at it?
    I picked this up recently. It is excellent. What I need now is to be able to do that directly from the photo by calling up this app from within the photo viewer - so the facebook integration is as good as with the raw photo. Close, but not quite...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I picked this up recently. It is excellent. What I need now is to be able to do that directly from the photo by calling up this app from within the photo viewer - so the facebook integration is as good as with the raw photo. Close, but not quite...
    Actually, that app converts your photos via internet connection. If you dont have a connection, it wont work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Actually, that app converts your photos via internet connection. If you dont have a connection, it wont work.
    Right. What I want is to be able to take a picture, crop it right then, and upload it... all in one motion. Just like I do today with the camera app.

Take the picture, tap the picture in the lower left of the camera view, tap the lower left icon to upload to fb, and done. People are amazed when I show them that. What I need is an uption when I tap the icon in the picture view to "crop" that will run the process and return the results to the upload menu...

Of course, what I really want is to crop before I take the picture like the iphone does... but that's for another thread... I also want automatic redeye correction in the camera app, in case you are taking requests... If we had those two things, I wouldn't need to carry a digital camera any more...
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    The hardware accelerated CSS transforms and UI improvements are what I'm most looking forward to
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Flash, Voice Dialing.. Mic API access..
    The above, realistically, needs to come before new hardware. This will help bolster applications needing these features to be developed. It will aslo give some extended functionality to existing hardware.

Otherwise, new hardware is basically old hardware that performes much the same.
    Along with the acceleration of the GUI, there's the full blown SDK/PDK to look forward too. I imagine once the next upgrade hits, that we will start to see a lot more ports (at least of games) coming over to the Pre. Quick and dirty porting is great for developers because they can make even more money without a lot of development time involved. I can only imagine how many more apps will get ported once the full blown release hits.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast