1.    #1  
    Hello,
    I have been searching all day for a good solution to my texting problems. We got a Palm pre just for the wireless hotspot this is our only internet at home, being that we live where there is only dial up this feature is great, I mean GREAT.

We no longer have home phone, just cell phones and would like to communicate via text, but where I work I dont get cell service, so I cant text home. I do however get wifi, so I have been using my ipod touch with "textplus" to text my wife on her phone, but it is taking up to many of her texts. She has a Samsung Intensity as well as the palm, that must stay at home to provide wifi for the mac.

So to make a long story shorter, What are some apps or pc programs to enable my wife to complain to me while I am trying to work?

Thanks for any insight you all might have
    Do you have access to Google at work? Use GTalk. Create GTalk logins for you and your wife. You can add the GTalk account on your Pre and your wife will be logged in all the time from the Pre. You just have to be at a computer or get another Pre to text with her, free of texting limits.
    As Mordbane suggested... using a Messenger account instead of texting would be the next best option. In addition to a GTalk account, you can use Yahoo and AIM messenger accounts too.
  4.    #4  
    thanks for the responses, the only problem with this is there is not text plan on the Pre, plus wouldnt this be the same as the ipod to the Samsung, using texts like crazy?
    If you go to sprint everything plan ...everything is free and unlimited including text, web, calls etc. Everything is included and unlimited
  6.    #6  
    We have Verizon...
    Quote Originally Posted by dartmania2002 View Post
    thanks for the responses, the only problem with this is there is not text plan on the Pre, plus wouldnt this be the same as the ipod to the Samsung, using texts like crazy?
    Nope--IM goes through data channels, internet, so has nothing to do with texting.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I don't believe so. I am relatively certain that gtalk and other messaging services like it use the data as opposed to standard text messaging. So if you have data (sounds like you do since you are excited about the mobile hotspot ) then you won't be charged text messages using gtalk. Someone can correct me if I am wrong (pretty sure I am not).
    Last edited by bpdamas; 05/26/2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: ^^what he said
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    If you use Gtalk, it's not sending texts. It's sending Instant Messages. Both phones would need the Gtalk program running and connected to the internets to send/receive messages.
    So you just got a pre just for the mobile hotspot? Why can't you just get the internet & a home phone.
    Where I work, I cannot use my cell phone either; so what we do is text via email and phones. I use my email and she uses her phone. If you are a verizon user, her email address is number at vtext.com (put the at symbol there for email address); she can text to any email address. Ive done this for years, works great.
    I would suggest Google Voice. I believe there is a nice Web Client for it on the Pre too. If you and your wife get google voice numbers, you can easily send text messages using the Web.

www.google.com/voice
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I would suggest Google Voice. I believe there is a nice Web Client for it on the Pre too. If you and your wife get google voice numbers, you can easily send text messages using the Web.

www.google.com/voice
    Hiya CP... Is there a gVoice app anymore for the Pre? I looked just the other day and didn't find anything and I know the GDialPro app was pulled a while back. You know something couldn't find?
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hiya CP... Is there a gVoice app anymore for the Pre? I looked just the other day and didn't find anything and I know the GDialPro app was pulled a while back. You know something couldn't find?
    go to www.google.com/voice on your Pre. I think you will like what you see.

You could always e-mail back and forth as well. Or is that too old school?

IM clients would work fine and would not be included on texting package.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    I would have suggested Google Voice, but I've been waiting three months for an invite. Now I hear they're only open to students.

Do Google apps ever come out of beta?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    I would have suggested Google Voice, but I've been waiting three months for an invite. Now I hear they're only open to students.

Do Google apps ever come out of beta?
    Yes they do. Gmail is out of beta now, IIRC.

And ask around on thees forums, you can get an invite. I have used my 3 already.

18.    #18  
    is there a good app for messaging? couldnt get voice...
    is there a good app for messaging? couldnt get voice...
    Like GTalk? It is integrated into the text messaging app that comes with the Pre. I am very fond of this messaging client actually.