1.    #1  
    Well guys... i was that "guy" who was still on my opening day pre and was telling EVERYONE else they are crazy... in the past 30 days i'm now on number 3

my opening day pre kept going into headset mode and i tried everything to make it stop.. and just couldn't take the incoming callers not being able to hear me. So i took it in and got it replaced.... phone was fine... except the space bar was stuck in the down position... so i took it in for another one.

almost 2 weeks go by.. and my phone was kinda "loose" to begin with.. today i slide it up.. and there was a little grind at the end and boom.. i look in the side of the phone and there is a SCREW completely loose and jammed in the phone!!!

i will take it back first thing tomorrow morning.. <sigh>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You may be able to access it by taking out your battery. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to look...
    What's the old saying?... "If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all".

Sorry to hear about your issues! Hopefully they can swap it out for you without problems. 4th time's a charm
    Its one of the four screws that attach the slidder to the front case(digitizer).
  5.    #5  
    no getting to it...
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    no getting to it...
    Oh...

Well I'm sure you will have no problems getting it replaced.
  7.    #7  
    at this point i don't want to "void" anything by removing any stickers to get to screws.. not worth it. I'll just be there at 10am when they open.. think i can ask for a new one?

Damn all these posts i made telling people they are crazy and build quality is just fine... oh well.. i'll def get next palm device hopefully in Sept or Oct for holiday season!!
    I know the feeling. My six month old Pre has started to develop a wiggle. Not the huge oreo effect, but it's enough to make a guy used to a solidly built, one-piece Treo notice. I'll probably take it down to the repair center down the road from me and get it tightened up.

Hey, you made it eight months on a brand new design with no problems at all, that's pretty darn good in my book.
  9.    #9  
    just got new phone... when i slide it up in this pre, in same exact spot there is a touch action registered everytime i slide it up ? what the heck.. any way i can just get a new one!!. I'll see if i can post a vid if i can.

actually.. it's not a touch action.. as i think it's something pressing on the BACK of the screen..
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    I know the feeling. My six month old Pre has started to develop a wiggle. Not the huge oreo effect, but it's enough to make a guy used to a solidly built, one-piece Treo notice. I'll probably take it down to the repair center down the road from me and get it tightened up.

Hey, you made it eight months on a brand new design with no problems at all, that's pretty darn good in my book.
    That's what happens when you "check" for oreo... if you don't pick at it, it won't bleed.

It seems normal to me that it would loosen a little over time. Do we all remember how the flip-phone springs would loosen over time? Moving parts will do that. But twisting to check... can't possibly have a positive effect. I checked the tightness of my phone when I first got it, and then I see now reason to keep checking unless it ever starts to wobble when I open it in a normal fashion...

...just saying
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    just got new phone... when i slide it up in this pre, in same exact spot there is a touch action registered everytime i slide it up ? what the heck.. any way i can just get a new one!!. I'll see if i can post a vid if i can.

actually.. it's not a touch action.. as i think it's something pressing on the BACK of the screen..
    That's odd. You should make sure they keep sending replacements until it is right. Refurb means good-as-new but maybe with with a blemish, not used and flawed. Once you have one that meets the definition of refurb, don't keep checking for oreos...

My most recent replacement is the tightest and best build quality I've seen yet. I'm praying it lasts because I don't want to give this one up. And I am not going to keep "checking for oreo" because I don't want to create the problem I'm checking for... I know there were genuine oreo problems in the past, but I think it's mostly resolved and people continue to imagine it because it is posted about so frequently.

In your case, it sounds like the assembly process didn't go well and you should make them give you something that was assembled properly... IMHO
  12.    #12  
    Well guess what... i went to open my phone that i got replaced a while back.... and there is another screw that has come out!!!

Well at least this phone lasted 8-9 months... lets see if there are any Pre "refurbs" left for sprint.
    I had a similar issue with a refurb. Noticed the slider was feeling a little chunky, so I pulled the battery to check it out and that very screw fell right out.
    'It's not too hard to repair!
    Palm Pre Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

If you get stuck ask here.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Holy old thread batman!
  16.    #16  
    LoL yea... it just fixed itself today... screw fell completely out and is lost... phone feels much better today!
    Mine did the same a few months back, it started to deteriorate very quickly later and more screws began to fall out.
    Just lost a screw yesterday, managed to catch the little blighter as it came out though.

Whats the best adivice with this, carry on using until i can get get a Pre 3 later this year? Kinda getting tired of the poor build quality of these phones