Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Hi All,

This is my post, so be gentle! I am currently a free agent AT&T customer & want to get myself a Pre Plus. I am also strongly considering moving to Verizon as AT&T are chapping my hide.

I've spent probably the best part of an hour playing with a Pre Plus in the Vz & AT&T stores, and am a bit surprised that the keyboard works quite well under my size XXL fingers, so that is the biggest hurdle crossed.

What I'd like to know are if there are any differences, significant or not, between the Verizon & AT&T models beyond AT&T not allowing/supporting tethering (that's the only one I am aware of). Can anyone point me to a comparison list, or post one?

(Did I drop this into the correct forum?).

thanks,
    Toby,
    Rochester, NY.
    vz gives you the hotspot app for free. 5 pcs can connect through your phone. And it runs on the vz network.
    You can still get homebrew tethering solutions for the AT&T Pre as well. The main decision is which network you would like to be on.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Thanks guys. Yup, I am all straight on the hotspot thing.

There are pros and cons for me with either network, but I am not sure about the devices. I have been watching the web for a while waiting for the Pre Plus to be released on AT&T, then they go and hobble it with the $150 price tag (yes, Touchstone included, I know), and the no-hotspot thing.

In the run-up to this, though, there was talk on the web about the AT&T device being of a different / improved build; some small changes to the keyboard & perhaps strengthening the slider. I was wondering if those rumors were correct and if there were any other items?

thanks
    Toby.
    With AT&T you get:
    Reliable GPS
    Better Keyboard
    Talk and Data at Once
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Larger 3g coverage
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    With AT&T you get:
    Reliable GPS
    Better Keyboard
    Talk and Data at Once
    Reliable GPS
    Reliable GPS
    Reliable GPS!

This is something to consider. Verizon WebOS devices have a crippled GPS. If GPS is important to you, AT&T may be the best choice.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Ooo, better (fully functional?) GPS is definitely noteworthy! I played with YP Mobile (?) in AT&T the store today and it was pretty sweet. Did I see Google Navigator on there as well, or am I getting all the different phones I've looked at mixed up now...?

What is it about the Vz GPS that is bad?
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    @iTz Nicholas72: so the keyboard really _is_ different? I read this in several blogs before AT&T released, but wasn't sure if it was just a general design revision that would make it into all Pre's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Reliable GPS
    Reliable GPS
    Reliable GPS!

This is something to consider. Verizon WebOS devices have a crippled GPS. If GPS is important to you, AT&T may be the best choice.
    Just because there's an extra step (lauching VZ Navigator first) doesn't mean that the GPS itself is unreliable. Does it?

And besides, a 'crippled' app is still better than an altogether missing one. Right? Hmm...

One thing I can say with certainty is that I've never had a dropped call on the Verizon network, but I would get many dropped calls a day on At&t/ Cingular. They may be better now, that was a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd15 View Post
    Ooo, better (fully functional?) GPS is definitely noteworthy! I played with YP Mobile (?) in AT&T the store today and it was pretty sweet. Did I see Google Navigator on there as well, or am I getting all the different phones I've looked at mixed up now...?

Well, many users have complained that it doesn't work right (or at all). Some people have devised work-arounds that temporarily "fix" it, but it's still a hassle. So far it seems the Pre Plus on AT&T is having no GPS problems. Verizon has been saying they are going to fix it, but no improvement has been seen.

The Verizon GPS thing is so bad that some members here want to file a lawsuit:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...izon+gps+issue

Anyway, if a functioning GPS is a top priority, I'd recommend AT&T
    Verizon pros:
    CDMA (it's faster, and more secure than GSM)
    Mobile Hotspot

ATT pros:
    GPS that works period
    Talk + Data (this can be done on the VZW version with WiFi)
    International capabilities that doesn't cost ridiculous amounts of money

I'm a forced (thanks to parents) VZW customer of nearly 5 years now but when my contract runs up I may be switching to AT&T if they're carrying whatever the latest and greatest WebOS device is. VZW has some tollerable customer service, and possibly the best continental US cellular coverage, as well as the several advantages of a CDMA network, but for as big and monopolist as they are, they still cost too much... Prices should go down as the company gets bigger, not up.

Basically VZ GPS lacks what's called aGPS, and direct GPS support for 3rd party apps. We're not altogether sure why GPS doesn't work as intended, but we're pretty sure that Verizon is doing it on purpose to get customers to buy it's VZ Navigator service for something like $10 a month (I'm pretty sure I got the service for free).

aGPS, which the AT&T/ Sprint networks have, is when GPS data is pushed from the network onto your phone, saving your phone the hassle of finding the satellite all by itself, and shortening the amount of time it takes for your phone to get a lock.

Verizon doesn't give it's 3rd party apps control over when the GPS launches, so that you have to run VZ Nav first to sort of 'wake up' the GPS, then switch to your other program where you'll find it usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Just because there's an extra step (lauching VZ Navigator first) doesn't mean that the GPS itself is unreliable. Does it?

And besides, a 'crippled' app is still better than an altogether missing one. Right? Hmm...

One thing I can say with certainty is that I've never had a dropped call on the Verizon network, but I would get many dropped calls a day on At&t/ Cingular. They may be better now, that was a few years ago.
    The thing is that you shouldn't have to use work-arounds to use features of your phone. Besides, don't you have to pay extra for VZ Navigator?

I'm not saying that a funky GPS is the deciding factor here. Both Verizon and AT&T have pros and cons. OP needs to know as much info as possible to make a good decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
    Verizon pros:
    >>CDMA (it's faster, and more secure than GSM)
    Nonsense.

>>Mobile Hotspot

If you have minor tech skills, you can just add the sharing application yourself.

>>ATT pros:
    >>GPS that works period

Big factor. I hate my Pre Plus on Vz when it comes to GPS. Why does my cheap 3 year old flip phone on Sprint autolock on yet the Pre doesn't?

>Talk + Data (this can be done on the VZW version with >WiFi)

Somewhat a factor, depends on your needs. When I was with AT*T I did enjoy having simultaneous talk while tethered to the computer actively downloading.

>International capabilities that doesn't cost ridiculous >amounts of money

GSM phones are definitely a huge factor with international network transportability. But if you never travel anywhere, doesn't really matter.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Vz is working on a gps fix.

All my cryPhone friends hate the AT&T 3g network, especially the ones who used to be on Vz.

The simultaneous voice/data thing is overblown. I think I've wanted to do that once or twice in the last year, each time I could just use wifi. Or use data and txt, I'm usually texting instead of talking anyways. Voice is so 2008.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    Vz is working on a gps fix.

All my cryPhone friends hate the AT&T 3g network, especially the ones who used to be on Vz.

The simultaneous voice/data thing is overblown. I think I've wanted to do that once or twice in the last year, each time I could just use wifi. Or use data and txt, I'm usually texting instead of talking anyways. Voice is so 2008.
    Actually you can't text and data at the same time, a text message interrupts data the same as voice, it just does so very briefly.

You can however use text and voice simultaneously.
    I'd totally get the verizon pre plus for the mobile hotspot alone. The current price is nice too

Unfortunately, I can't switch carriers for as long as I'm under a family plan w/my sister & dad, who happens to work for AT&T. I'm getting the Pre soon. I really wish they had a mobile hotspot, but alas, they don't.

If Verizon has good coverage in your area and the plan prices sound good with you, and you're willing to go w/out simultaneous voice/data and slightly improved hardware, then the verizon pre it just as good.
    Not sure it's been shown yet, but there may be a battery life advantage with the AT&T Pre--I've heard that GSM is inherently more efficient power-wise than CDMA, but I don't know if that's actually true for the Pre.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Hi All,

This is my post, so be gentle! I am currently a free agent AT&T customer & want to get myself a Pre Plus. I am also strongly considering moving to Verizon as AT&T are chapping my hide.

I've spent probably the best part of an hour playing with a Pre Plus in the Vz & AT&T stores, and am a bit surprised that the keyboard works quite well under my size XXL fingers, so that is the biggest hurdle crossed.

What I'd like to know are if there are any differences, significant or not, between the Verizon & AT&T models beyond AT&T not allowing/supporting tethering (that's the only one I am aware of). Can anyone point me to a comparison list, or post one?

(Did I drop this into the correct forum?).

thanks,
    Toby,
    Rochester, NY.
    VZ probably has the better network, but it lacks GPS altogether on the Palm Pre Plus. On AT&T you'll get very reliable GPS (w/o subscribing to any service) and have the capability to talk on the phone and use the web browser at the same time. Now, if neither of those are that big of a deal to you, then VZ is probably an ok bet for you.

Don't let anyone trick you into thinking the awful GPS performance on the VZ Pre Plus isn't a big deal. Do a quick search of this forum and you'll quickly lose count of the many VZ Pre Plus users who are completely frustrated with their GPS. VZ claims to be working on a fix, but won't give ANY details on it's release.

Bottom line: If you need/want GPS, then don't use VZ.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast