Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    btw, are there any indications when Sprint would get the Pre Plus?
    @mosdl - see the link I tried to post just above this (I'm not at 10 posts yet, so can't post a link). Someone said they have a contact within Palm who insinuated that Sprint will get the Plus soon.

Here's the post:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2477650
    Last edited by tpd15; 05/28/2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added link.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zanix View Post
    You said you worked with both AT&T and Verizon's Palm Pre Plus for about an hour. Did you notice a difference on the keyboards?
    @ zanix - I spent about 15 mins playing with the Vz phone a couple of weeks ago, then day before yesterday I stopped by the Vz store again, chatted with Sales (who discouraged me from getting the Pre), and then went right to AT&T without touching the phone. Then spent 45 mins or so goofing with it at AT&T. So the upshot is that a couple of weeks were between keyboard touches, unfortunately. No difference that I can recollect, but I was thinking I need to stop by again for just this test.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd15 View Post
    @ zanix - I spent about 15 mins playing with the Vz phone a couple of weeks ago, then day before yesterday I stopped by the Vz store again, chatted with Sales (who discouraged me from getting the Pre), and then went right to AT&T without touching the phone. Then spent 45 mins or so goofing with it at AT&T. So the upshot is that a couple of weeks were between keyboard touches, unfortunately. No difference that I can recollect, but I was thinking I need to stop by again for just this test.
    I see reviews saying it is better. I am wondering if it is considerably better.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zanix View Post
    I see reviews saying it is better. I am wondering if it is considerably better.
    It didn't jump right out at me as being considerably better. But then the Vz store was the first time I'd touched one.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd15 View Post
    I just looked over the coverage maps for AT&T & Vz, looking at the north east region. It seems that they both have similar general data coverage (holes in the same places) except that AT&T's 3G is only a small portion of the coverage. Admittedly it covers the cities, though.

Now, if Sprint roams free onto Vz network then I don't need bother to look at a Sprint map, correct (?). And even tho Sprint doesn't yet have the Plus, check out this other thread in this forum: "palm pre plus coming to Sprint?" see post #15. (Yeah, I'd like to post a link but am not allowed).
    ...rumor of course, but it makes sense that Sprint will get the Plus.

Also, if GPS works well on Sprint then that turns things around a lot. A lot. (No good GPS would keep me off Vz).
    To reiterate what I think I said in my earlier post: GPS works GREAT on Sprint. In fact, that's one of the reasons I went with Sprint instead of Verizon. The Verizon Pre's GPS issues are well documented by many Verizon Pre users here on PreCentral. There are definitely workarounds including some patches but the current consensus seems to be that it's challenging to get good and fast FREE GPS/navigation with Verizon Pre phones. Not so with Sprint. The Sprint Nav App - which is basically the same as both the Verizon & At&T branded versions of TeleNav - is fast quick and best of all on Sprint totally FREE. Also if you like Google Maps - it works fast and quickly on my Sprint Pre as well, none of the multitude of weird Verizon problems people have reported.

Price plans depend on what YOU need and want - and the truth is there is no ONE CORRECT answer for all owners/users. I'm a good case in point. Since my cell phone is my ONLY phone, I need to use it to call a moderate number of land lines as well as mobile/cell phones - so my plan has to account for that. Sprint gives great deals on smartphone plans for calling other mobile/cell phones (free) but depending on how many landline minutes you need, their plans can actually get a little pricier. Verizon may seem more expensive but their Friends & Family plan allows free calls to your 5 most frequently called numbers - and this feature might save you a ton of money if you tend to make most of your calls to the same number. AT&T traditionally gives the advantage of Rollover minutes if you don't use all the minutes in your plan, but many AT&T plans can cost you more for overages etc. So - yes, Sprint tends to be cheaper but that's not an absolute. If you do want to save money tho, there 7-7 Nights fees are waaay less costly than Verizon/AT&T's 9-9.

Customer service is another huge factor in my opinion BTW. As a former long-term AT&T User I must say that in my own many experiences attempting to get help, AT&T had far and away the worst level of competent or satisfactory service or help of any carrier/provider I've ever had service with. That, coupled with their generally higher fees (in my experience anyway) tends to put them at the bottom of my own list. I've only had good experiences with Sprint so far which is a plus; and I can't speak for Verizon though I've heard mixed report, both positive and negative. But for me, getting help from my provider when things really go South is a huge plus - and I think it's something to consider.

So....yes, it's a complicated choice. But as someone else said - they're all Pre's. And if you like the Pre OS - which is really what it's all about - it's hard to go wrong.

Good luck.

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    Sprint
    advantages

fully functional gps

much cheeper! For an individul plan the sprint pre will run you about 80 a month plus fees for unlimited calls to all mobile phones regardless of carrier, unlimited texts and data

completely free turn by turn that I use quite often. It works very well (fyi the included turn by turn is the same program on all carriers. All made by telenav)

free roaming on verizon including data (just have to turn it on)
    Have a question about this. Sprint has several plans. One of them, the "Simply Everything" plan....is literally that: unlimited everything.....talk, text, data, you name it. It's one of their more expensive individual plans, coming in at $99.99

But I - and I think a number of other people - have a less expensive plan - the "Everything Data - with Any Mobile, Anytime" plan. This plan gives unlimited data, unlimited messages/texting, and unlimited calls to any other cell or mobile phone - and in addition it has a certain number of "anytime" minutes (either 450 or 900, depending on which plan you choose) - which can be used for calling landline, 800 or 888 numbers, etc.

BUT the catch is that the "unlimited" calls MUST be made "from the Sprint Network". So if you happen to leave the Sprint network area - and go into an area served by Verizon - your Sprint Pre will still work (because essentially we're 'roaming' on the Verizon network since both Sprint & Verizon are compatible CDMA networks) - BUT the roaming is NOT free since it's not being made "from the Sprint Network". That means - anytime you're making a call on the Verizon Network - the call is being 'charged' to your available 'anytime' minutes.

So as I understand it - and a Sprint Rep explained this to me when I first signed up - you are 'roaming' when you go onto a Verizon signal - and though you're not charged a per-minute 'roaming fee' - you are docked in terms of your available 'anytime' minutes.

Just wanted to clarify this.

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Miguel et al.,

Thanks for all the good info. If I go the CDMA route it will be Sprint then; I can handle having M2M deduct from my anytime minutes if I roam onto Vz, no worries there. It's just a matter of knowing...

It seems like the Sprint Pre is not substantially worse than the Plus, and I would be a light user anyway. 3D games -- what the heck are those? And perhaps Sprint will get the Plus soon anyway. I doubt there is any genuinely new Palm hardware coming for quite a while (> 3 months, at a guess).

At this stage I am probably just going to stick with AT&T because while international roaming is not something I do more than a couple of times a year it is important to me that it works. With Vz I either have to buy a crappy worldphone (the smart phone options are WinMo and 1 BB), or use their rental service whereby I call them in advance and they send me a temporary GSM phone, and I pay some shipping fees.

They can only assign me a permanent SIM card if I get one of their worldphones (not happening), but if I rented I could of course slide the SIM from that phone into my current unlocked quad-band GSM phone so I wouldn't have to learn a new phone each time (and cope with the idea of a stranger's face mung on the phone!). So that is a lame solution...

Oddly enough, I have always had great customer service from AT&T. A couple of times they've expired a huge chunk of my roll-over minutes but a call got them restored again. (I had finagled a deal with them when changing plans internally, and they allowed me to keep the mins, but all at a single expiry date). Also their hold times are short, and the people seem knowledgeable enough & empowered enough to suit me fine.

Was on the phone with both Verizon global service & AT&T general sales last night. Got some interesting tidbits of info.
    - The Vz guy told me that he's been told that their 4G phones should start rolling out towards the end of the year, and they will *all* comes with SIM cards. Total heresay; take that with a grain of salt.
    - AT&T sales told me that if I sign up for a 2-year commitment with compulsory data plan and if something bad happens and I don't have a smartphone anymore (ie: have step down to a dumb phone for whatever reason) they will let me out of the data plan, regardless of how far into the contract I may be. Am not sure if the other networks will allow this. I am not going to extrapolate on how someone might work this to suit their own purposes...

thanks,
    Toby.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Just ordered my Pre Plus on AT&T. In the end the international roaming thing combined with functional GPS steered me away from Vz, and to a lesser extent from Sprint as well. I figure by the time this device is ready for upgrade the big networks will / should have good 4G coverage, and whatever differences that brings in hardware styles, and I can re-visit the whole thing then.

Thanks for all the advice & different info!

cheers,
    Toby.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I had the Verizon Pre+ for a couple weeks, switched over from T-Mobile and my unlocked Nexus One. I loved the phone but the GPS thing combined with the battery life caused me to return it within my 30 day window. I'm back on my Nexus One on T-Mobile.

My wife is on AT&T with here iPhone 3G, and she's already decided that she's getting whatever new iPhone gets announced at WWDC. I'm seriously considering grabbing a Pre+ on AT&T and converting her plan to a Family plan on AT&T, but I think I'm going to wait and see what the whole picture is with the new iPhone before I make a decision.

It's good to hear that the GPS works well on the AT&T, because that was frustrating as hell on Verizon. It really bummed me out too, because my coverage with Verizon was excellent, compared to the crappy T-Mobile coverage I get where I'm on EDGE every time I go indoors (and we're in a T-Mobile 3G saturated area here, according to their coverage maps).

My wife seems to get great 3G coverage from AT&T on her almost 2 year old iPhone 3G, so an AT&T Pre+ would probably serve me well.

--Matt
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123