Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    OK, so if I read these correctly, it seems that Verizon has a problem with GPS / lacks aGPS, and also lacks synchronous talk + data. Both of these are big for me. While I will not be a power user (I don't even have a smart phone now), I do want to have the ability to do both of those things for the occasions when I do want it.

Verizon's larger / better network coverage up here (Upstate NY) is a nice-to-have -- in fact that's the one prime motivator that I had for maybe moving from AT&T to Vz. A further detractor to Vz is that I travel out of the country 1-4 times a year so a GSM roaming capablitiy is useful. I say useful, because I have a unlocked 4-band GSM phone into which I can stick a Vz SIM card to roam. I sure don't wanna data roam out of the country so that my Pre wouldn't work is not a deal-break. Not preferred, but not a deal-breaker.

Vz cost is $50, AT&T is $150 (but with Touchstone), but Circuit City has it for $50 on AT&T.

To be honest, I have not had ANY issues with dropped calls on AT&T, except a couple of weeks ago when my g/f was in Newark Liberty and we dropped a bunch. I suspect it was on her end. (She AT&T also.)

So here's how I have it so far:

Verizon pros:
    better network coverage,
    better network adoption (for free M2M calling),
    free, supported tethering.

Verizon cons:
    borked GPS,
    no synchronous talk & data (except on WiFi),
    awkward international roaming solution,
    lesser Pre+ hardware (?).

AT&T pros:
    talk & data,
    proper functioning aGPS,
    good international roaming,

AT&T cons:
    reputed call-dropping (is this actually an iPhone issue?)
    poorer network coverage,
    poorer network adoption.

AT&T neutral:
    doesn't support tethering, but homebrew has it covered.

How's that? Anything else to add to the list?

thanks,
    Toby.
    Added AT&T benefit: Palm Pre Plus currently free from Wirefly.com !! (no charge, no tax) ... the Verizon phone was only $29.99, but tax and others meant nearly $70 more.

I have now used the original Sprint Palm Pre, the Verizon Pre Plus, and now the AT&T Pre Plus. I left Sprint because the service suddenly stopped working in my house (after five months of great coverage with my Pre, and 10+ years before that with other phone). The Verizon network coverage was no better, but the Pre Plus was a great improvement ... until I tried to use GPS.

The bad VZW GPS was a deal-breaker, and I switched to AT&T at its Pre Plus launch. I am very happy. Not only do I get glorious AT&T network coverage in my house, the monthly pricing is slightly better with a home service bundle.
    I've always had great service with Att.
    I've been with Cing\Att for 10+ years.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    There is a third alternative: getting a Pre on SPRINT.

That's what I did....even though it's NOT a Pre Plus - and it cost a little more.

I did it for a number of reasons that made sense to me. First - the people in my local Sprint store ALL use Pre's, love them, are familiar with them - and seem like great potential resources if I ever have any problems. The people at the Verizon stores I went to were friendly but basically Pre-ignorant. Ditto for AT&T.

Second - after doing detailed comparisons - the Sprint plan was less expensive than either Verizon or AT&T.

Third - in my area (Southern Oregon) Sprint has very good coverage.

Fourth (and this was a biggie for me), Sprint's free Night calling is from 7pm to 7am - unlike either Verizon or AT&T's 9pm to 9am. It may seem like a small thing but to me it was indicative of a more user/value friendly approach.

Fifth - Sprint has excellent FREE turn-by-turn voice-GPS navigation through SprintNav (a variation of Telenav which I believe is basically the same system Verizon charges $10 a month for - though I can't honestly remember what AT&T's policy is though as a former AT&T user for many years I remember on most other smartphones they always charged extra for this)

And BTW the Google Maps which Verizon has cunningly disabled on its Pre Pluses work perfectly and instantaneously on my Sprint Pre

And last but definitely not least, Sixth: thanks to the intelligent community of Pre users on PreCentral, it's not only possible but relatively easy to set up a Sprint Pre for free Mobile Hot Spot tethering via several different approaches.

I know quite a few people have complained about build quality issues, oreo effects, sticky keyboard keys and other annoyances in 1st-gen Sprint Pre's - but my 1st Gen Sprint Pre hasn't manifested any of these earlier irritations. I SUSPECT (but have no way of proving) that some and perhaps even many or most of the Pre's currently sold on Sprint have better QC/QualityControl/Build Quality than the Pre's that were originally sold on Sprint back in the Summer of 2009.

Obviously if either AT&T or Verizon offer you compelling service or coverage choices that make sense to you, than that makes my suggestion even less helpful. But even with lesser/'limited' RAM and onboard storage, my Sprint Pre still feels zippy, fun and efficient.

Just my .02 cents on the issue.

Whichever one you pick though.....it's still a Pre!

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    If you like Football? NFL package is going on Verizon.
    The hardware is the same as far as I know between the AT&T and the VZW one. I was on AT&T and had an iPhone and BB. I kept dropping calls so I switched to VZW.

I admit it's nice having the talk+surf at the same time, but I have never really had to use it. Also I am a FIOS customer so I can connect to just about any Wi-Fi spot around, so essentially I have it covered.

Now the GPS is annoying I will give you that, but "there is a patch for that" (btw I am trademarking that statement - lol)

The supported tethering is nice as I have had to use it, work blocks so many ports. I just tether my computer and do what I want - :P
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Don't discount the GPS issue. It's one of the reasons my Verizon Pre Plus just went back to Verizon via FedEx during my 30 day trial window.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd15 View Post
    OK, so if I read these correctly, it seems that Verizon has a problem with GPS / lacks aGPS, and also lacks synchronous talk + data. Both of these are big for me. While I will not be a power user (I don't even have a smart phone now), I do want to have the ability to do both of those things for the occasions when I do want it.

Verizon's larger / better network coverage up here (Upstate NY) is a nice-to-have -- in fact that's the one prime motivator that I had for maybe moving from AT&T to Vz. A further detractor to Vz is that I travel out of the country 1-4 times a year so a GSM roaming capablitiy is useful. I say useful, because I have a unlocked 4-band GSM phone into which I can stick a Vz SIM card to roam. I sure don't wanna data roam out of the country so that my Pre wouldn't work is not a deal-break. Not preferred, but not a deal-breaker.

Vz cost is $50, AT&T is $150 (but with Touchstone), but Circuit City has it for $50 on AT&T.

To be honest, I have not had ANY issues with dropped calls on AT&T, except a couple of weeks ago when my g/f was in Newark Liberty and we dropped a bunch. I suspect it was on her end. (She AT&T also.)

So here's how I have it so far:

Verizon pros:
    better network coverage,
    better network adoption (for free M2M calling),
    free, supported tethering.

Verizon cons:
    borked GPS,
    no synchronous talk & data (except on WiFi),
    awkward international roaming solution,
    lesser Pre+ hardware (?).

AT&T pros:
    talk & data,
    proper functioning aGPS,
    good international roaming,

AT&T cons:
    reputed call-dropping (is this actually an iPhone issue?)
    poorer network coverage,
    poorer network adoption.

AT&T neutral:
    doesn't support tethering, but homebrew has it covered.

How's that? Anything else to add to the list?

thanks,
    Toby.
    The hardware is virtually the same, but early reports are that the AT&T Pre Plus seems more solidly built. That might be something to take into consideration.

But, yes, if you have ANY plans to use GPS then I would turn and run from Verizon. I'm not a "power user" either, but there have been a few occasions when I tried to fire up Google Maps to find something near me and either couldn't get a location on the map at all, or it would put me halfway across town. Don't let any wacko on this board convince you that the Verizon GPS works. True, you CAN get it to work sporadically for very short periods of time if you go through a convoluted array of steps, but I doubt you want to do that.

Everything else aside, the AT&T version is Palm's third shot at making the Pre, so logic would dictate that it should be a better overall device.
    don't worry about the price difference between the pres on any of the three carriers. Remember that you are signing a two year contract when you buy one of these machines. These plans are for over 2-3 grand a pop. The diference between the prices of the machines in the long run does not matter. Now some of what I'm going to say has been said already but it's nice to review. Here are the advantages and dissadvantages I see between the three options.

Sprint
    advantages

fully functional gps

much cheeper! For an individul plan the sprint pre will run you about 80 a month plus fees for unlimited calls to all mobile phones regardless of carrier, unlimited texts and data

completely free turn by turn that I use quite often. It works very well (fyi the included turn by turn is the same program on all carriers. All made by telenav)

free roaming on verizon including data (just have to turn it on)

disadvantages.
    cdma is not world friendly.

the sprint pre is non + so half the ram and internal mem. It really does affect the phone. It still multitasks amazingly but the two many cards error will show up.

when you go to buy one the sales rep will really be pushing you towards an evo 4g.

verizon
    Advantages
    the network. It goes without saying. My friends on verizon never complain about not having service (your results may vary of course) and their entire network is 3g. If you have service you have 3g in your pocket.

pre+. Loading 50 apps is extreme but what it really means though is never worrying how many apps you have open. And it has the new buttonless design for the front. Personally I think I looks better but I'd miss the button.

mobile hotspot sans hacking- you can hack it into the other two and I have with my sprint one and it works amazing. But hey you'll sleep better at night I guess.

dissadvantages
    crippled gps. This is a big issue. Wanna search for a place to eat near you? Won't work well for anything except vznav including the web browser and all the other apps on the phone.

expensive- ignore the cheeper verizon price. They have the most expensive plan. It will cost you the most feature for feature in the long run.

cdma- applies to sprint too. It sounds better in calls but no data while calling and rather useless overseas. And some people say it murders the bat but I haven't seen a definitive comparison yet to prove it.

AT&T
    advantages
    fully functional gps- see above

gsm- make calls while on the net. Unlock the phone and take it anywhere.

pre+. It's awesome. See above.

3g femtocel- if your house has bad service get one of these. It's awesome and the one from at&t does 3g and doesn't cost extra per month as long as you don't care about still using your minutes.

higher resale value- hope you never need to in the near future but if you do a gsm pre will be worth more than a cdma pre. Plain and simple.

disadvantages

expensive- still cheeper than verizon but not by much.

call drops- at&t has been proven time and time again to be the worst with that.

edge- everyone always loves to harp about at&ts wonderful ability to make calls and go online at the same time. Well there is a caveat. Their 3g network is small and unlike sprint when they get out of range they can't roam on verizon. So you're stuck on their edge network and edge is bad. You think not being able to go on the net while on a call is bad? On edge if you are loading data and a someone tries to call you it will go straight to voicemail. Edge not only can't do data and calls at the same time but it can't receive calls while using data. And it's slower than drying paint.

iphone users will cripple your internet- there are a lot of those guys and at&ts network can't handle it. It's where most of their problems (like dropped calls) come from.

well that's all I can think of. In reality there are no wrong choices here. They are all pres and pres are all awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    With AT&T you get:
    Reliable GPS
    Better Keyboard
    Talk and Data at Once
    and in my area (northern colorado)
    DROPPED CALLS whooo hoo
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    @MiguelATF & @dz1262 re: Sprint -- I hadn't been considering Sprint because I was under the impression that their network was tiny (It was when I was a Sprint customer 6 years ago; haven't followed them since then). But I did not know that they roamed for free onto Vz's massive network, that does make a significant difference...

Also I do like their M2M is free for any carrier; pretty awesome.

But I do not like that they don't have the Plus. A bit of a disqualifier for me.
    @MiguelATF & @dz1262 re: Sprint -- I hadn't been considering Sprint because I was under the impression that their network was tiny (It was when I was a Sprint customer 6 years ago; haven't followed them since then). But I did not know that they roamed for free onto Vz's massive network, that does make a significant difference...

Also I do like their M2M is free for any carrier; pretty awesome.

But I do not like that they don't have the Plus. A bit of a disqualifier for me.
    The plus is nice but the regular pre is very nice as well. I love mine. You just gotta ask yourself if the extra money per month is worth the pre+ over the pre. Especially since you said you aren't a current smart phone user so your monthly bill should be going up regardless of what you choose. The question is how high?
    I think you should honestly compare the 3g coverage of the three carriers where you are gonna be using this machine and incorporate that into your decision.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I just looked over the coverage maps for AT&T & Vz, looking at the north east region. It seems that they both have similar general data coverage (holes in the same places) except that AT&T's 3G is only a small portion of the coverage. Admittedly it covers the cities, though.

Now, if Sprint roams free onto Vz network then I don't need bother to look at a Sprint map, correct (?). And even tho Sprint doesn't yet have the Plus, check out this other thread in this forum: "palm pre plus coming to Sprint?" see post #15. (Yeah, I'd like to post a link but am not allowed).
    ...rumor of course, but it makes sense that Sprint will get the Plus.

Also, if GPS works well on Sprint then that turns things around a lot. A lot. (No good GPS would keep me off Vz).
    I actually would much prefer for sprint to get whatever comes after the pre instead of the pre+ but I doubt it considering how good sprint was for palm as their launch partner....
    Don't forget that you get access to ATT 20,000 WiFi hotspots. It is the only thing I miss from leaving the ATT iphone behind for my Verizon PPPlus.
    What I'd like to know are if there are any differences, significant or not, between the Verizon & AT&T models beyond AT&T not allowing/supporting tethering (that's the only one I am aware of). Can anyone point me to a comparison list, or post one?
    Sorry, I use Sprint, so can't directly help with Verizon or AT&T, but I will toss this one out there. I don't know how much weight I'd give "not allowing" tethering. There are workarounds, and if it's not a constant need for you, you might want to look at the options that are out there.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    btw, are there any indications when Sprint would get the Pre Plus?
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Unless it's important to you to run 20 apps at a time vs 10, Sprint Pre will give you a lot more network features for a lot less money (they throw in many things free that AT&T and Verizon make you pay for).

BTW- This was posted while connected to the Hotspot app on Sprint.
    Thanks guys. Yup, I am all straight on the hotspot thing.

There are pros and cons for me with either network, but I am not sure about the devices. I have been watching the web for a while waiting for the Pre Plus to be released on AT&T, then they go and hobble it with the $150 price tag (yes, Touchstone included, I know), and the no-hotspot thing.

In the run-up to this, though, there was talk on the web about the AT&T device being of a different / improved build; some small changes to the keyboard & perhaps strengthening the slider. I was wondering if those rumors were correct and if there were any other items?

thanks
    Toby.
    You said you worked with both AT&T and Verizon's Palm Pre Plus for about an hour. Did you notice a difference on the keyboards?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast