Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Pre's plastic power button on top appears to be broken. I popped it out and it looks like one of the tabs broke. I can use it to power on and off the phone but it has a "squishy" feel to it and is difficult to use.

Does anyone know if anybody sells the plastic button? I called Palm, no luck. I don't really want to take it to a Sprint Repair Center because I'm currently overclocked with Preware and patches, etc. I don't want to go to the trouble of removing everything.

I don't mind paying for the button, it's pretty easy to replace, I just wondered if any place has them for sale.
    Not that I have seen
    these are the only repair parts I have found, at all.

Palm Pre Repair | Palm Pre Lcd | Broken | Fix | Repairs

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    you would need to take it back to the store where you got it for replacement most likely . who knows maybe you"ll get a new phone and not a referb.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    you would need to take it back to the store where you got it for replacement most likely . who knows maybe you"ll get a new phone and not a referb.
    I don't want to get a replacement phone, this is a launch day Pre and I've had no trouble with it...would like to keep it.

I suppose I can try taking it to a Sprint Repair Center and see if they have a new button that they could give me.
    I've seen them personally on eBay now and then. its slightly hard to come by such a specific piece. But I bet you can find it somewhere on eBay.
    I know people have had success taking it to Sprint repair centers with the button physically off already, and the tech has just popped a new one on. YMMV, some stores are pickier than others. I know for a fact my shop doesn't care if the phone is patched to kingdome come, as long as the problem isn't an internal operational one. Even then, I don't think they'd care, the tech at my shop asked how I overclocked mine, so........never hurts to go in, show them the button, tell them you know how to put it on, and see if they just give you one.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the replies...I'll probably try a Sprint repair center.
    The power button on my partner's Pre stopped working altogether, so we took it to a Sprint Repair Center and they replaced "the spongy thing" underneath it in about 20 minutes. Works perfectly now, so definitely try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by shifted View Post
    The power button on my partner's Pre stopped working altogether, so we took it to a Sprint Repair Center and they replaced "the spongy thing" underneath it in about 20 minutes. Works perfectly now, so definitely try that.

SAME HERE. Called Sprint Store, its a known issue. They told me when a Pre came in, for return, or refurb for another one, they would take the button and fix mine. They called in about 3 days, I went in, 15 mins later, like brand new!

Must be an actual Sprint Corp store, not a private affiliate that sells Sprint..
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Just go to a junkyard and find the parts you need there. I'm sure they have some totaled pres. Oh wait.... You're talking about phones.
  12.    #12  
    I called my local Sprint store, they said they have the plastic power button but there is a spring underneath it and they don't have the springs.

When I popped off the plastic button, I didn't see any spring inside it, unless it flew out. I do know one of the tabs on the power button is broken so I'm not sure what to do at this point.
    do you think it's from keeping the phone in your pocket or from overuse?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by lenmac08 View Post
    do you think it's from keeping the phone in your pocket or from overuse?
    I think overuse probably. It's a launch day Pre and it was working fine until recently. I haven't dropped it or anything. I think it's just the nature of the design, pressing it constantly will eventually wear it out.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Cut a small rectangle piece of balloon a tiny bit smaller than the power button. Pop the button out and put the balloon piece in the hole. Put the button back in and it's as good as new.

- Phil -
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Cut a small rectangle piece of balloon a tiny bit smaller than the power button. Pop the button out and put the balloon piece in the hole. Put the button back in and it's as good as new.
    I tried something similar, I used piece of rubber band and also a piece of paper. Both times they interfered with the button activating the switch itself. I would press down and nothing happened.

Maybe I'll take a spring out of a pen and cut it down to see if I can get something like that to work.
    the rubberband or balloon solution didn't work for me. I used a piece of a eraser. It happened to me on my launch day att pre plus. I cut a small piece of eraser the size of the button only thinner and now my button works perfect
    Palm Pro->m505->Zodiac 2->Treo 680->Treo Pro->Pre+
    Take it to the sprint store they will fix it for free =)
    i had volume rocker issues (week or 2 ago) i took mine they fixed the rocker and also fixed the power button (even though i didn't have any issues with it ) Plus the tech dude gave me new back cover for my phone for free...i was highly satisfied with the experience.....
    My power button has been messed up for a few months now. If the sprint store doesn't fix it for me how did you guys pop the button off? That way I could try the eraser or balloon trick. I'm afraid of making it worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post

- Phil -

This is the answer that worked for me...on two different Pre's:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2337837

I suggest using a higher quality balloon. I bought one at Hallmark for less then a dollar...and it seemed a tad thicker than a standard balloon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast