Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hi, before jumping the gun on a pre or pixi for verizon (more importantly the pre) Can i have some user opinions on the Battery life on the Verizon Pre?

I went to their website and htere are nearly 800 reviews for the pre mostly positive but quite a few say the battery wont last a full day some say it wont even last 8 hours. Now this is conflicting because when i went into the store the salesguy said that if you dont close the cards and leave them open the pre can last a day anda half on battery. Because starting up the apps takes so much life outa the battery and wat not. Anyway with pretty decent usage ( as in not light and not uber heavy but definatly web surfing and app games and the like) how long does your Verizon pre last? This is a pretty imprtant factor for me, would also love ot hear about the ATT pre's and if there is any difference.

Edit: ALSO wats this i hear about verizon pre's restarting alot randomly. ?? o.0 do the ATT ones do that too?
    Last edited by sepherous; 05/25/2010 at 01:04 PM.
    The battery life is not the greatest, but the Pre is up there with other smartphones except blackberries, but in reality what does a blackberry do besides get mail.

We are always looking for ways to improve battery life, those that say their battery can't last more than a few hours likely have a defective battery or they are doing something.

Granted you are not going to see a full day out of usage, but you should get some decent battery life. This is also where touchstones and car chargers do come in nicely. Have a touchstone at the office keep one at home, you can always be charging everywhere you are.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    When I first got mine it wouldn't last a day. I think it was mainly because it was new and I was fooling with it all the time plus the battery wasn't "conditioned". Now I don't have any problem making it through the day.
    The battery life on mine is tolerable. Coming from a Blackberry I was at first discouraged. That went away very fast as I now have learned how capable this device is.

In calls the Blackberry would chew up a battery and spit it out, the Palm on the other hand is more balanced. Being in a call does not seem to have an over all effect on the battery vs. doing other things.

I would not trade my Pre for the world! This device is such a pleasure to use! People ask me to describe it and the only thing I can tell them is it is "smooth".

Get the Pre and you suddenly realize how "clunky" every other phone is today. I have used many... Droid,Iphone,Blackberries,dumb phones and none can stand a chance against the Pre.

The hardware seems "ok" at best, the OS will easily make you see through that!
    For me, the biggest thing is whether I'm on 3G or wifi. If I'm exclusively on 3G, then my Pre will last from about 7:00am to around 3:00pm. If I'm on exclusively on wifi, then my Pre will last until around 6:00pm. With a mix, it'll quit at around 4:00pm.

Regardless, I really don't have a problem with a smartphone that can do so much while "only" lasting eight hours on a single charge. Sure, I could get a device that did a good deal less and get more battery life, or I could just have a second battery on hand. I'd choose the latter every time.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    battery life initially stinks but does get better tremendously. Once all your contacts and calender are sync'd, you follow some of the battery saving threads on this and any other smartphone forum, and you get an extra touchstone and/or spare batteries, battery life becomes an afterthought.

I can last from 7 am to around midnight on one charge with just about 20% left, though I never usually let it get below 50% due to extra chargers around.

ask not what your battery can do for you, ask what you can do for your battery.
    The battery is not that good but almost every smartphone had the same problem. I was at 100% this morning before school and with only the phone radio and 2G data enabled I'm alreay down to 50% and I can hardely use my phone at all during school ecept for lunch.

With mode switcher battery is not a problem but I still wish the battery would last longer when my phone is not going anything at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    The battery life is not the greatest, but the Pre is up there with other smartphones except blackberries, but in reality what does a blackberry do besides get mail.

We are always looking for ways to improve battery life, those that say their battery can't last more than a few hours likely have a defective battery or they are doing something.

Granted you are not going to see a full day out of usage, but you should get some decent battery life. This is also where touchstones and car chargers do come in nicely. Have a touchstone at the office keep one at home, you can always be charging everywhere you are.
    Can the algorithms used to find which tower the phone talks to be changed? My biggest battery drain is always from being in my house where the phone is constantly hopping between roaming and edge. I'm on sprint, fwiw. Yes, I used a airave in the past, but eventually it just stopped functioning, and I wasn't about to keep paying for a service that never worked. Even when functioning, the phone continued to have the problem.
    : (){:|:&};:
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    battery life initially stinks but does get better tremendously. Once all your contacts and calender are sync'd, you follow some of the battery saving threads on this and any other smartphone forum, and you get an extra touchstone and/or spare batteries, battery life becomes an afterthought.

I can last from 7 am to around midnight on one charge with just about 20% left, though I never usually let it get below 50% due to extra chargers around.

ask not what your battery can do for you, ask what you can do for your battery.
    followup question.

7-midnight with 20% on just one battery or with that and the back up battery and intermediate charging?

Is there an "EASY" way to get the touchstone ina car? wat exactly would i ask a mechanic to do? would it cost my left kidney?

Is the battery life is suckier then the iphone? or a Droid?
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    I had no idea that opening and closing apps uses more battery than leaving them open...is that true?

Also, the 2600 battery from Seidio is awesome!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    I had no idea that opening and closing apps uses more battery than leaving them open...is that true?

dunno for sure but the guy at the verizon store said that they did tests during their training and i quote "you can get a day and a half by leaving them open"

no idea if its true, just regurgitating wat i was told.
    I plan on getting the Mugen 1400 mah battery. I find that my battery will make it thru a workday but if I plan on going somewhere in the evening I have to charge my phone on the way home or something so that the phone will get me thru the night. I want to get the 1400 mah battery so for light days I may not have to charge it on the way home instead of charging it no mattter what like I do now.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I have a Verizon Pre Plus, Battery life isn't the greatest on battery life, but you can take steps to ensure better battery life, such as charging on the touchstone(On sale at most Radio Shacks). and if it comes to it installing the 3G toggle patch, the radio seems to be the main cause of battery use.
    I still can't wrap my head around that. I remember when we first started seeing Wifi on phones, the Wifi was the battery hog. Now Wifi is more efficient? I just can't wrap my head around that.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Yes, WiFi is more efficient, the radios don't have to work as hard to maintain a clear high speed connection (WiFi AP is closer in range than that cell tower).

I get about 12-16 hours of moderate use out of my Sprint Pre.
    I have the mugen 1400.
    before I got my 2nd touchstone, I sometimes would not charge during the day, but I would follow my usual routine to let the phone last the full day.

email set to Q 1hr pulls or manual.

brightness set to lowest level, plenty
    bright with that

wifi on if in a wifi zone otherwise off and set to sleep when off

bluetooth off except in car.

gps set to "allow" when needed.

keep in mind, this is a PHONE first and foremost, otherwise we'd all still be carrying our Palm or Windows PDAs. So, if I'm down to around 50% or less in the evening, and I will be going out for dinner or a movie, I shut off data altogether. I can still use the phone and regular text messages this way but my phone becomes a "dumb" phone whose battery lasts forever.
    Does the Mugen still have that issue of not charging past 76% when used with the Touchstone?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post

I would think that is only the case if the app is using a radio to connect to something. For example, the browser default is that it refreshes when brought to full screen. I would assume that uses power. I think that's a silly default, BTW, and there is a patch to turn that off. It just slows me down when I'm moving between browser windows to have them reload every time I bring one back to the front...

Can anyone chime in with what the impact is to keep apps open vs. opening and closing them?

Also, I read that scrolling is currently handled by the CPU, and that uses the battery. Eventually the GPU will handle it and that will improve battery life. I read it here, so it must be true...
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post

Can you tell us what the rated output is for the external Palm charger is? I read that a achieving a fully charged Pre requires 1,000ma of charging power, but that particular spec is missing from palm.com and everywhere else the charger is sold... Do you know how much output it provides? Same question for the Touchstone. I can't find that info here or on Palm.com

Thanks! It is so great that you are willing to hang with us and not just the Palm.com forums!

Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    Yes, WiFi is more efficient, the radios don't have to work as hard to maintain a clear high speed connection (WiFi AP is closer in range than that cell tower).

I get about 12-16 hours of moderate use out of my Sprint Pre.
    Wouldn't that depend on how many microwaves and cordless phones are within range of your access point? I would think local interference could make WiFi very instable compared to a cell tower if you are just sitting there.

I know the interference with my home WiFi router is terrible during the evening when everyone must be cooking and using their cordless 2.4ghz phones...

I often turn off wifi and get much better throughput from the 3G connection, but I haven't really measured battery drain in that scenario...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast