1.    #1  
    Is there a way to mark a text message as read once the notification is swiped away?

Thanks
    Natively there is no way to mark a text message as read unless you actually go into the message. The same goes for when receiving emails. Swiping away the notification does not have a way of marking the email as read you will still have to do that process yourself.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    There is a patch that lets you delete an email from the notification, but none that I know let you mark it as read. Maybe pop into the homebrew section and ask if a developer could make it happen.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I've been asking for this EXACT feature when it came to email.. See my post:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2302971
    Honestly, I don't think you want to mark it as read just from swiping it away from the notification area. Trust me....I sent my wife a text a couple weeks ago asking her to pick up our son because I was stuck in traffic (I know, I was texting while driving, but I was standing still ;-) ). She replied back "No problem. Will do. But, can you pick up [our daughter] from the track meet?"

Since I was moving when I got the response, I looked at the notification and saw it said "No problem. Will do." So I swiped it away and continued on home. I didn't realize there was anything else after the "No problem. Will do." until I got home and my wife asked me where was our daughter....oh oh.

So, you never know if you are getting the full message or not on the notification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Honestly, I don't think you want to mark it as read just from swiping it away from the notification area. Trust me....I sent my wife a text a couple weeks ago asking her to pick up our son because I was stuck in traffic (I know, I was texting while driving, but I was standing still ;-) ). She replied back "No problem. Will do. But, can you pick up [our daughter] from the track meet?"

Since I was moving when I got the response, I looked at the notification and saw it said "No problem. Will do." So I swiped it away and continued on home. I didn't realize there was anything else after the "No problem. Will do." until I got home and my wife asked me where was our daughter....oh oh.

So, you never know if you are getting the full message or not on the notification.
    Good point.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  7.    #7  
    I agree with "Good Point", but for me, I rarely swipe text messages away unless they are short like, OK, in which case i dont need to respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the notification use ellipses (three dots. Not to be confused with dbd and two dots) to signify there is more to the message? I could see how this could be useful if you want it to function as marking it read. It really is a user preference.

Ultimately, multiple user preferences is the number one item that will make a smartphone operating system succeed. Luckily, for WebOS there is homebrew or it would have been dead in the water.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the notification use ellipses (three dots. Not to be confused with dbd and two dots) to signify there is more to the message? I could see how this could be useful if you want it to function as marking it read. It really is a user preference.

Ultimately, multiple user preferences is the number one item that will make a smartphone operating system succeed. Luckily, for WebOS there is homebrew or it would have been dead in the water.
    yes, but often the "more" to the message is a mere punctuation mark or one letter. I could see how he would have assumed the message was over.

In general though, I agree with you. Providing maximum options can only be good/helpful. If I wanted a device that restricted the configuration of my experience, I'd buy Apple products. Luckily, Palm has been pretty good, at least by "encouraging" homebrew.
  10.    #10  
    Well, i requested it in the Patches section. Hopefully someone can/will do it.