1.    #1  
    Seeing as how AT&T and Verizon have offered the Pre for free with contract and instant rebates, does anyone think/hope that, once the EVO drops, sprint will drop the price on the Pre to clear inventory? It's sad that the original adopters are still paying $150 for the normal Pre while our new Plus cousins are getting it for free or very cheap.
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
    I don't think Sprint needs to "clear inventory" until they have a replacement WebOS device. Until then, they will try to wring every drop of profit/sales they can from existing inventory. It's not like they have a new smartphone hitting every few weeks like Verizon. Their lineup - even with the Evo4G - is pretty threadbare. If sales are stagnant to non-existent, you'll see them make that move as they did with the Pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't think Sprint needs to "clear inventory" until they have a replacement WebOS device. Until then, they will try to wring every drop of profit/sales they can from existing inventory. It's not like they have a new smartphone hitting every few weeks like Verizon. Their lineup - even with the Evo4G - is pretty threadbare. If sales are stagnant to non-existent, you'll see them make that move as they did with the Pixi.
    Except that their goal isn't to keep phones available (except by replenishing what they've got) or to sell phones. Their goal is to sign up subscribers. If/when they decide that offering the phone at a lower price, including free, will get them subscribers, they will lower the price.

Right now, I suspect they see potential Pre owners to be the same group as potential Evo owners, and that's probably why they're not offering it free at this point. I suspect htat a few weeks after the Evo is offered, we'll see some changes on the Pre.