1.    #1  
    hi will palm pre gsm work in india with bsnl 3g
    Quote Originally Posted by shanku View Post
    hi will palm pre gsm work in india with bsnl 3g
    In most likelihood, the US Palm Pre will not work, but the European Palm Pre should work with BSNL. You might want to check what bands BSNL uses for 3G. That ould help in answering your question more definitively.
    Shanku,

1. Your best bet is German QWERTZ unlocked GSM - I am using it on Idea in Pune for the last 6 months (w/o 3G, of course, just EDGE). The US unlocked GSM's 3G bands may not work on India 3G bands.

2. You need to do some reading - search Precentral forums on "India". You can also see all my previous posts by clicking on my name.

3. Even the German GSM version will require that you manually configure the phone's databases to work on BSNL- the only ones I can see that are inbuilt to the phone's databases are Airtel & Vodafone. This is possible to do, but will require you to understand the process.

4. No matter what, your paid apps catalog will not work. Unless someone in Palm wakes up to the fact that there is a world outside of the US and Western Europe.

Unless you are a die hard Palm fan, and enjoy solving technical issues, its 'prolly not going to be worth it. Definitely the best smartphone I ever owned, though.

Vikram
    Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Treo 180 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Palm Pre (busted) -> iPhone4 (awesome) + iPad
    Hi Vikram,

I just got my Plam Pre Plus with AT & T Connection and got it unlocked. I am using a BSNL 3G Connection however i am not able to get onto the Internet. Spoke to BSNL 3G Customer Care and they shared some settings related to APN. When I try to apply these settings under Preferences - Manual settings – it throws a message saying Unable to Write Settings.

Followed Modifying WebOS carrier network settings thread and I wil try the same on weekend and will update you about the same.

Other problem is: I have downloaded my Digital Badge Certificate which is used for remotely connecting to your Official Network and for authentication. When I am in the Office Premises and start Wifi; it automatically detects the network; however I am not able to import the *.pfx file to get connected.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
    Nageshwar E G
    Quote Originally Posted by nageshwar.elkaturi View Post
    I just got my Plam Pre Plus with AT & T Connection and got it unlocked. I am using a BSNL 3G Connection however i am not able to get onto the Internet. Spoke to BSNL 3G Customer Care and they shared some settings related to APN. When I try to apply these settings under Preferences - Manual settings Ė it throws a message saying Unable to Write Settings.

Followed Modifying WebOS carrier network settings thread and I wil try the same on weekend and will update you about the same.
    3G will not work in India, with the US AT&T GSM Palm Pre Plus. Editing the carrier network settings will also not help. The reason being the 3G radio in the AT&T does not support the 2100 KHz band that is used in India for 3G. You should be able to get Edge/GPRS to work by manually inputting the APN information. If not then editing the carrier database should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by VikramPune View Post
    4. No matter what, your paid apps catalog will not work. Unless someone in Palm wakes up to the fact that there is a world outside of the US and Western Europe.
    You can get paid app catalog access by shipping the device via the US, and activating it there on an AT&T Prepaid sim card. Then ship it to India, and use a Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards virtual giftaccount from the US to pay for the apps.

Not easy, but doable.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You can get paid app catalog access by shipping the device via the US, and activating it there on an AT&T Prepaid sim card. Then ship it to India, and use a Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards virtual giftaccount from the US to pay for the apps.

Not easy, but doable.

-- Rod
    Kept meaning to ask you about this, so if you bypass activation and run the unlock service, then send to the usa for initial activation that should work? for an O2 pre plus
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Kept meaning to ask you about this, so if you bypass activation and run the unlock service, then send to the usa for initial activation that should work? for an O2 pre plus
    I have no experience with unlocking services. I only buy phones that are unlocked by the manufacturer.

Third-party unlocking services are always just too dodgy for my taste.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Where's tomi666 when we need him? Yes, from the information we have presently, that should work. No guarantees though. Just when we think we have things figured out, Palm releases the next update to WebOS and changes something on us.

Member tomi666 is the guy who can give you a definitive answer on this one.

Thanks,
    TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    In most likelihood, the US Palm Pre will not work, but the European Palm Pre should work with BSNL. You might want to check what bands BSNL uses for 3G. That ould help in answering your question more definitively.
    +1
    Yes, Unlocked European Palm Pre's and Pre plus's should work with BSNL.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.