Purpose:

In light of updating Battery Monitor and such I decided I want to quantify consumption of various activities etc for the pre. I'm personally more interested in the pre but this can be repeated for the pixi and the plus versions of both too. So I will start with the pre. Some of you may know I have in the past gathered semi-accurate data over the course of the first few months from the 6/6/9 release and have used that to break down various users usage to help them get the most out of their battery. But now that we have had quite a number of updates etc I wanted to do a more structured and detailed study to see how things are now compared to my original study but also others will find interesting and maybe even useful.

The items I want to quantify:

Screen brightness (unmodified minimum)
Screen brightness (unmodified maximum)
Phone, GPS, WiFi and BT radios.
Streaming music (pandora, slacker, and one or two more popular ones)
streaming video (are there any other than youtube?)
local video file playback
Talk time (may or may not have changed from original specs)
3D gaming (please advise me on which ones we should use for this)

You don't need to do all of the tests you may choose which ones you would like to do. I suspect that each of the application tasks and talk time will each use up to about 25% of the 1150 capacity. I will need 50 volunteers for each task so the more tasks you would like to do the better. It would be best if all volunteers have the stock 1150 battery ( I don't expect to see any difference in mA consumption between battery types but it would be one less variable). If not enough with the stock batteries volunteer mixed types in the test will be acceptable. So don't worry about which capacity you have. But do let me know in the report the capacity for record purposes. This will give me a good number of cases to find an average for future comparison to other cases.

What will be required to get the data:

What you need will depend on which items you volunteer to quantify.

Nodoze app to keep the screen on for brightness tests (I'm not aware of any other apps that can force the screen on)
The newest version of battery monitor (1.0.7)
The two or more streaming audio apps (if we should use more than the two please post up to two other popular ones we should test)
local audio file playback
Whatever streaming video app(s) are decided upon for streaming video test
local video file playback (any 1 hour long video all can use is fine)
Talk time
one or more of the 3D games chosen for the 3D game test (please post which one(s) should be used for the test)
WiFi and/or carrier network access for streaming tests.

The quantifying process:

Fully charge the battery after a complete charge cycle (you get the final warning power off is eminent) before beginning tests. This ensures that the battery level thingy is calibrated so to speak especially if a complete cycle hasn't been done in awhile.

All tests we will record the mA average (It is the number in the [ ] in the Current mA line of the list.

Battery Monitor settings:
Graphing off, notifications off, interval 15 seconds, capacity set to match capacity of the battery being tested. Be sure these are set before beginning any test.

Baseline:
To be performed on all devices prior to running any tests. Set turn screen off after 30 seconds (I believe this is the shortest non-patched time). Put device in airplane mode and open battery monitor. Let it run for one hour. Record the average mA. Close battery monitor. Repeat with just the cell radio on. Repeat adding GPS radio on. Repeat Adding WiFi radio on. Repeat adding BT radio on and connected to a headset.

Brightness:
Set brightness to unmodified minimum brightness. Open Nodoze and set to keep screen on. Double check that device is in airplane mode and no radios are on (just in case wifi can be on in the mode). Open battery monitor. Let it run for one hour. Record the average mA. Close battery monitor. Repeat for brightness set to unmodified maximum brightness.

Streaming audio:
WiFi, BT and GPS off. Using carrier network. Open one of the apps (pandora or slacker should be sufficient)and open battery monitor. Stream music for one hour. Close battery monitor. Repeat same over WiFi. Optional repeat for as many of the specified apps as you like.

Local audio file playback:
WiFi, BT, and GPS off, phone radio on. Open audio app and battery monitor. Play one hour of audio it can be music or podcasts that are stored on the device and can be more than one file in a playlist. Record the average mA. Close battery monitor.

Streaming video:
WiFi, BT and GPS off. Using carrier network. Open the specified streaming video app. Open battery monitor. Stream video for one hour. Record the average mA. Close battery monitor. Repeat same over WiFi.

Local video file playback:
WiFi, BT, and GPS off, phone radio on. Open the video app and battery monitor. Play the specified video file for one hour. Record teh average mA. Close battery monitor.

Talk time:
WiFi, BT, GPS off. Place a call and open battery monitor. Be on the call for one hour. If you like you may be on an actual call that will last one hour or make a call to one of your own numbers or something and just let it sit in the active call for the hour. Record the average mA. Close battery monitor.

3D games:
WiFi, BT, GPS off, phone radio on. Open the specified (or one of if more than one is specified) 3D games and open battery monitor. Play the game for one hour. Record the average mA. Close battery monitor.

Format to record data:

Battery capacity:

Baseline:

airplane -- mA
cell on -- mA
2 on -- mA
3 on -- mA
all on -- mA

Brightness:

min -- mA
max -- mA

audio: (stream test list app name and if more than one put each name and data together)

app name
cell -- mA
wifi -- mA

local -- mA

Video:

cell -- mA
wifi -- mA
local -- mA

talk time -- mA

3D games: (list app name and if more than one each name and data together)

app name -- mA