1.    #1  
    I was clueless about Pre being pulled from best buy and radioshack until my faithful unit left me talking in only speaker mode. I bought mine when they first came out so I bought the optional hundred some dollar radioshack warranty since they were a new phone. I called in and they gave me no hassle about replacing my phone except the huge deposit util they got my phone back. I just got my phone today and guess what it is ready.........a brand new empty box. Thats right, I got a note that my phone had been discontinued and that a radioshack representative would be contacting me to replace my phone with a comparable one. A comparable phone to my pre? What is comparable that Sprint or Radioshack has to a Pre? Surely not a dindleberry or a hemorrhoid? Maybe a EVO? Comparable in price, software, features, the apps, songs, and ring tones I already paid for? I'm not sure how to feel about this. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm I the first?
    Nope never happened to me I bought my Pre at radioshack but when I had problems I took it to Sprint they fixed with no hassles. I would contact Radio Shack corporate office or something
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgummy View Post
    I was clueless about Pre being pulled from best buy and radioshack until my faithful unit left me talking in only speaker mode. I bought mine when they first came out so I bought the optional hundred some dollar radioshack warranty since they were a new phone. I called in and they gave me no hassle about replacing my phone except the huge deposit util they got my phone back. I just got my phone today and guess what it is ready.........a brand new empty box. Thats right, I got a note that my phone had been discontinued and that a radioshack representative would be contacting me to replace my phone with a comparable one. A comparable phone to my pre? What is comparable that Sprint or Radioshack has to a Pre? Surely not a dindleberry or a hemorrhoid? Maybe a EVO? Comparable in price, software, features, the apps, songs, and ring tones I already paid for? I'm not sure how to feel about this. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm I the first?
    Easy solution... the Shack is now home of the iPhone. Make them give you an iPhone. Sell it on ebay, and buy a Pre on ebay. You will make money on the deal...
    i use to work at the shack. the warranty is handled outside the company and most likely a gift card will head your way. i think you get the full rate of the phone before it was pulled. i could be wrong but i am sorry they will not give you a iphone haha different company. sometimes gettin the district manager involved will make things better where he or she will offer you a phone that is the same base price. so say it was 400 without contract you will pick one that price. now if you want the new htc and its over same 400 ask if you can pay the difference.

listen be cool and nice yet do not give in if your not happy. being an ***** will not get you anywhere.

one time a lady brought a video camera and for some odd reason on her sons graduation it made the videos blue. i felt for her because even givin her money back will not do ****. the manager refused to do anythin she called the cops and yet still they told her too bad.if she did not come in going nuts i would have just swapped the camera and gave something on top it. but when you come in heated and want to speak to a manager, and that person starts screaming, no one will do a thing.
    if he purchased a warranty that says he gets a new one, or equivalent... then a gift card would be unacceptable, unless with was for the unsubsidized phone cost, a full refund of the extended warranty. Nothing was said that it had to be from the same company, so he should be able to have an iPhone, EVO, or whatever he wants... As the last poster said, be nice but be firm.

Also, keep in mind that some RS stores still have inventory, so you should still be able to get a Pre from them if you push it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if he purchased a warranty that says he gets a new one, or equivalent... then a gift card would be unacceptable, unless with was for the unsubsidized phone cost, a full refund of the extended warranty. Nothing was said that it had to be from the same company, so he should be able to have an iPhone, EVO, or whatever he wants... As the last poster said, be nice but be firm.

Also, keep in mind that some RS stores still have inventory, so you should still be able to get a Pre from them if you push it...

he will not get a refund on the extended warranty trust me. he will get a gift card or a equal amount to use towards a phone the shack has. your right about the no company thing however if he brought it with service they will make him get a sprint phone. they want him to stay with sprint. radioshack gets a cut of his monthly bill from sprint. and if he closes the account they will lose money. just maybe if he opens a iphone/att account it might work.
    i am going to say i know everything about raioshack its been over three years since i worked there. but i know their practices. radioshack will be gone if not for the money they get from the phone companys.
    oh, I forgot that he was on Sprint. Well, then he should get an EVO or whatever he can sell on ebay for the most money.

But I stand by my belief that some radio shack stores still have inventory and he should be able to force them to give him a Pre...
    when i fist started at the shack all the warranty had was a free extended battery if the battery after a year was bad and that if the phone was acttin up it will be sent for repair a week turn around. no exchanges on water or physical damage. it cost like 60 bucks extra. whats funny it was a radioshack brand battery replacement which cost the company less then a buck and the repair was within sprints policy. easy money.
    The worst part about this is that you didn't need to purchase a Radio Shack warranty to be covered. Palm gives you a one year warranty which should have still been in effect. You should have just taken it to a Sprint store and swapped it out or called Palm directly. If Radio Shack doesn't make you happy, have them give you your phone back and take it to Sprint.
    Okay, wall 'o text time:

The extended warranties are handled by a third party company. Pretty standard stuff anymore. You'll get a gift card for the amount that the phone is worth at the time of purchase, which you can use to purchase.. well, anything you damn well please. If the district has any of the Pre's still in stock, then your local store should be able to have one transfered to them. Depending on the district, the manager might have to get District Manager approval first. Still should take less than a week to have in hand.

And yes, you can put it toward an EVO, mind you, if the EVO costs more unactivated than the Pre did when you got it, you will have to pay the difference.
    +2 for Snapdragon and 4g Hotness.
    -5 for no WebOS.

As far as other carrier phones, sure, you could buy one with the card, no problem. But that has absolutely NOTHING to do with Sprint, and YOU'RE the one responsible for the new account setup, termination fees, etc. etc. Of course, signing up with AT&T or whatever means that:
    a.) you'll pay more than Sprint (yes, I'm a Sprint fan boy. SHUTS UP! NO COMMENTS! )
    b.) Get the new account discount on a new iPhone or whatever.

You ought to have plenty of money on the gift card to cover the discounted price of the phone, and accessories for it. But you still will have that ETF from Sprint. Hey, you buy a new fridge; power company's not responsible. Bad example, but you get the idea.

Anyway, once your mind is made up to stick with Sprint and the Pre (I knew you were smart); you can use the gift card to buy the phone unactivated (Non-Qualified Upgrade - is the specific term). The upside to this is that if the phone was selling for $549 when you got it, but is now going for, say $399, you get yourself a bonus $150 for anything else you want. Touchstones EVERYWHERE! Feel free to send me one ;D

And as far as the Palm warranty, the RS one is TWO years in length. Palm repairs the phone, the RS one replaces it with a refurb (deposit needed if you want to get the replacement phone before sending your old one in) or new one if a refurbished is no longer available. Yeah, you might get a refurb or new one from Palm as well, but not until you send in the old phone and they have a look at it, then it is their option to do so. The RS one is a plain replacement.

Really, they're about the same. One is free, the other one is *typically* faster.

I used to work for RS for quite a few years. Unless you get some Ahole, I can safely say that none of my customers ever got screwed. And the ones that thew a sh*tfit honesly just thought the world owed them whatever the bloody hell they wanted. Whether they deserved it or not. Really, the only time it is an issue is if the model has been discontinued for so long that there's none available ANYWHERE and it's series has been orphaned by the company. (i.e. It's been 22 mos since the Pre was disco, and Palm's only released Android phones since then.)

All I can say in that case is... sorry, but you've still got a $500 giftcard to get whatever the else you want. Not perfect, but beats the hell out of paying out of pocket for anything. It sucks, sure, but not 100% RadioShack's fault, and in their defense, it ain't much different at Best Buy, et. all.

One last option, there's no saying you *have* to buy the phone with the giftcard. What I mean is; been eyeing an new HDTV? Then find the phone as cheap as you can on ebay, pay for that with your own money, and now you have a $500 card to put towards that TV.
    Last edited by slightlyevolved; 05/25/2010 at 03:43 AM.
    All right- correct me if I'm wrong but the OP bought a Pre and Sprint Service from Radio Shack, paid EXTRA for an extended warranty, then had to pay a DEPOSIT (?) when the fialed unit was returned for warranty claim, and in the end was NOT given back either a) the repaired unit or b) a refurbished unit or c) a new replacement but INSTEAD was given notice a rep will call to offer a "replacement" phone?

I didn't see anywhere that the OP had been given a gift card - and WHY would a gift card be beneficial anyway? The extended warranty purchased was to cover the original device not invest in Radio Shack merchandise!

If Radio Shack is representing Sprint - they still obviously have access to Sprint Phones - so just WHY is there such an issue with obtaining a replacement PRE? Just because Radio Shack has chosen to discontinue carrying the PRE and its accessories doesn't mean the PRE is unavailable from the carrier they represent!

Radio Shack needs to pick up the ball they dropped and honor the Warranty contract the OP has already paid for! If they CANNOT produce a replacement PRE ( and I doubt at this point they could even produce the malfunctioning unit if it has been turned in) then they need to give back the OP's purchase cost of the PRE!

Personally I don't understand what Radio Shack's problem is - Warranty repairs go back to the manufacturer - do they not? Or is Radio Shack sending the malfunctioning units to a third party repair center?

OP needs to stick to their guns and demand an EXACT replacement oof the PRE or a full refund of unit cost as well as extended warranty cost - afterall - no warranty has been fulfilled now has it?

TYpical bait and switch if you ask me! Good luck!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    I also worked for the shack and I never sold a dam warranty for cell phones it's pretty usless and ends up like this. But hey a free battery is worth it lol
    Quote Originally Posted by acekilla View Post
    I also worked for the shack and I never sold a dam warranty for cell phones it's pretty usless and ends up like this. But hey a free battery is worth it lol
    when i use to rmac a battery for a phone the amount showed a cost of less then a buck haha. lets see 79.99 for a battery that costs a buck. that's 800% i think of profit.
    see what happens when ya try and save a buck. Should have bought your phone at sprint.
  16.    #16  
    Well after some arguing and hanging up on the first helpdesk rep. I got what I figured was my best deal. They are sending me a check for there most expensive phone plus my local tax. Since my local Sprint Store is 30 miles away. I went to radioshack and put $50 down on a EVO. I asked the manager their why they discontinued the Palm line and he told me it was because it was there weakest selling line of phones and the highest amount repaired phones and they and best buy had been looking dump them for some time. He asked me if I like my phone and I told him I loved it. He said that I was about 1 in 5. He happened to have a EVO he got from some trade show, I don't want to seem like a trader, but I can say that if being in my place I know I will miss the key board and it will take me some time to adjust, but the rest seems to be the same and/or better.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    my last phone died while on vacation, so picked up the pre at RS thanksgiving 2009. a month after the palm warranty expired, now my pre died....stuck at the 'palm' logo while booting. tried the doctor and it kept disconnecting. the only phones i'd consider from RS are epic or evo, and both will increase my sprint bill by $10/mo for the 4G even though 4G service is not available where i live, not to mention i'm going to lose all my contacts and 300+ pictures on the phone....guess i should have backed everything up. anyway, i'll post again once i hear what kind of deal the RS gives me....