Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    I have a Treo 700wx and I have an upgrade ready to be used. I was wondering if I use my upgrade on the Pre Plus, can I change it's ESN to the one of the 700wx's?

I have googled day and night for an answer and can't find a definitive one. I'd gladly appreciate ya much if you could help me out too by pointing me in the right direction.

The Palm Pre is for an elderly woman on my account who refuses to pay for data. She just wants the "hip" phone to text and call her "girl friends"

Thanks!
    It may be possible, but it will certainly be non-trivial. There's a good reason why you need the data plan with the Pre--it's designed to have constant access to data. It can't be set up (normally) without a data connection in the first place. I would have to recommend a different phone for someone who refuses to pay for data.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Get an Env3 or Env Touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    +1

Those are excellent phones for someone that wants a touch screen on a budget. But find out what she is paying for her current plan. She might not have to pay much more because the new pricing plans are pretty good. My monthly bill went down from my Centro to my Pre+ on VZ.

And if she is happy with Sprint, it would be even cheaper...
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I'm pretty certain she would be required to get the $10 data plan - resulting from a Verizon decision from about 3 or 4 months ago. The argument over one of my granddaughter's phones (an enV3) was "but it is eMail capable", blah blah. (It was gifted and not purchased through my Verizon store).

Better to call Verizon on this topic....
    I know several that have it without the email plan, and several that have it. The only question is whether it is required now when it was optional when they bought the phone. I suspect it is still optional, but you should call VZ customer service to check.

As far as the Pre goes, I'm not sure you could get the phone to work without access to the web. It is so closely tied to the web for so many things. It's just like trying to use a Windows PC without a broadband connection. Getting updates and such over dial up are just not practical...
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    The Pre has Wi-Fi and that is good enough for her. The 700wx can have a data block so I assume once the Pre assumes its identity, they can also put a data block on it...

@_@ Can't anyone point me to a definitive guide? Please?

No offense at all but I wasn't looking for alternatives.
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    If I can't do this, is it possible to do something similar with a Sprint Palm Pre?
    This thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ta-doctor.html may be more along the lines of what you're looking for. If not, the people there would be a good place to go for these kinds of questions.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ta-doctor.html may be more along the lines of what you're looking for. If not, the people there would be a good place to go for these kinds of questions.
    I think the OP still needs it to function as a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
    The Pre has Wi-Fi and that is good enough for her. The 700wx can have a data block so I assume once the Pre assumes its identity, they can also put a data block on it...

@_@ Can't anyone point me to a definitive guide? Please?

No offense at all but I wasn't looking for alternatives.
    I think the answer is simply "no"... if you figure out how to swap an ESN (which I don't think is possible) the phone will not function without being able to connect to the Palm profile. That logic resides on the phone. I could be wrong, but that's my best guess. The fact that you haven't found anything in your search would indicate that this isn't possible, or you have thought of something before anyone else in the universe... which seems more likely?

maybe you can PM Jason or Ron since they understand the internal workings better than Palm does...