Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. easymoney's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #1  
    For Android but have hopes for WebOS. At least that's my feeling after a few months of reading AndroidCentral, etc. I'm 53, use my BB 8330 for a phone, texting, email, Pandora, and the web. I like it but the web is just too slow. Oh, and I'm not an IT guy if you get my meaning, but do like new gadgets. Just found out about the Pre Plus a few days ago and have been checking it out online and in store. How do these OS compare for the not so tech smart amongst us? I've played with both and concluded they're both a lot different than a Curve. Pretty smart. Money isn't the biggest concern but getting a device I can use effectively is. Can you help me out deciding? Sorry so long, usually don't have that much to say.

    Easy
  2. #2  
    Hey I'm 50, you're not really that old!!

    That being said, compared to the BB operating system webOS is a snap. My wife has a BlackBerry & I hate having to mess with it.
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  3. #3  
    Hi, I will be 55 near the end of the year and the old part I resent, the dumb part must be about me, LOL. take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  4. #4  
    let me chine in a little,choosing a phone like pre/plus, would be one of the best smart phone choice you'd make. :-)
  5. #5  
    I've owned and used an Android phone before moving to the Pre and I must say that Palm's WebOS is by far the most intuitive, smooth, and elegant operating system out. Google's Android OS is getting better, but is still scattered and not as intuitive to use. With WebOS, simple gestures open, close, and move between applications. Setup is a breeze, and with the concept called Synergy... your contacts, email, and calendars are all connected simply. It's an awesome phone!
  6. #6  
    I beat all of you -- I'm 59 and I am not a techie. One of the reasons I love webOS is that it is very powerful, but also easy to use. The Pre will give you everything you are looking for and a tremendously better web browsing experience than on the BB.
  7. #7  
    My wife, neither dumb nor old, is very "tech" anxious. She is so far from "tech" its almost comical.


    She has a pre and LOVES it. She is connected with her email, texts, web surfing (when needs to look up info), navigates with maps, and even MAKES PHONE CALLS with it. ha ha


    I think it is amazingly powerful, yet simple.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, I will be 55 near the end of the year and the old part I resent, the dumb part must be about me, LOL. take care, Jay
    LOL You sir, are our resident expert on what's happening with HP and Palm!
  9. irondust's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by easymoney View Post
    For Android but have hopes for WebOS. At least that's my feeling after a few months of reading AndroidCentral, etc. I'm 53, use my BB 8330 for a phone, texting, email, Pandora, and the web. I like it but the web is just too slow. Oh, and I'm not an IT guy if you get my meaning, but do like new gadgets. Just found out about the Pre Plus a few days ago and have been checking it out online and in store. How do these OS compare for the not so tech smart amongst us? I've played with both and concluded they're both a lot different than a Curve. Pretty smart. Money isn't the biggest concern but getting a device I can use effectively is. Can you help me out deciding? Sorry so long, usually don't have that much to say.

    Easy
    I'm with ya. I'm the same exact way. I use a BB Tour 9630 right now for work mainly. But I like it for other reasons too. I got this Pre Plus last month and really like how easy it is to multi task.

    However I love apps but the selection is weak in Palm catalog. Preware sounds to be the way to unleash the true power of this phone but I haven't been able to load it. Mainly because it's over my head.

    The Webos you'll pickup very quicky. It's addicting.
  10. Barebuns's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    My wife, neither dumb nor old, is very "tech" anxious. She is so far from "tech" its almost comical.


    She has a pre and LOVES it. She is connected with her email, texts, web surfing (when needs to look up info), navigates with maps, and even MAKES PHONE CALLS with it. ha ha


    I think it is amazingly powerful, yet simple.
    The same can be said for my wife - she loves it (and I'm so relieved since I recommended it so strongly)
  11. #11  
    ...and there are plenty of people around here to help if you ever get stuck.

    Speaking of which, irondust, I'm surprised you're still having issues. Feel free to PM me or others for more detailed help.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  12. #12  
    The Pre is so easy to navigate a caveman can do it
    If you choke a smurf what color would it turn?

    SCP-8100 by Sanyo> Treo 300 by Palm> Hitachi SH-G1000> VI-2300 by Sanyo> LX150 by LG> MM-7500 by Sanyo> MOTORAZR™ V3m by Motorola> M330 by Samsung> MOTO Q9c by Motorola> Palm® Pre
  13. easymoney's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #13  
    Wow, you guys are awesome. Fast replies and civil too! So many of these forums are pretty harsh on newbies so I've become a reader rather than participant. OK, the guy at the VZW store said I could upgrade to Pre+ for $50 for 2 years, but no offer for 1 year which I prefer. Good deal? I'm 16 mon.into my BB. The demo phone there would only load mobile web pages but he didn't know how to change that and I didn't figure it out in my time there. I assume it can be changed to a full web page? I don't have a PC at home and the one at work is company restricted somewhat, so the web part is important to me.

    Thanks. Glad to see some, ah, peers here. I may look and act 53 but my thoughts are often closer to 18 or so

    Easy
  14. #14  
    Absolutely a good deal. Don't forget the free mobile hotspot function (use like a wireless hotspot to connect your laptop to the web).

    Definitely can view full web pages on the Pre, and they look great. Some web pages detect that it's a mobile device and serve up the mobile version instead, but many do not.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by easymoney View Post
    Wow, you guys are awesome. Fast replies and civil too! So many of these forums are pretty harsh on newbies so I've become a reader rather than participant.

    Easy


    You get the FIRST post free. Now, since this is your second: YOU NEWBIE &*$%#@!!!!






    You'll find this is a friendly, helpful place. Yes, The Pre will render full webpages quite well. Takes some scrolling and zooming to see it all, but there are some "tricks" that help and you'll really pick it up quite well and quickly.

    Its a great phone. I carry a Pre and a BB Tour (work). I like my BB a LOT!!


    I LOVE my Pre.
  16. #16  
    Pre Plus is an amazing phone. It takes some time to learn all the gestures, but it will become second nature. You may also want to patch/homebrew depending on your needs.
  17. #17  
    Both my 60+ parents just got Pre's and use them fine. My mom has become a text messaging machines (she loves the emoticons too). I think you will fine it fairly intuitive to use. And remember, you are never too old to learn anything!

    The Pre+ is definitely a good phone and if you are on VZW you get free hotspot (at least I think you still do) and if you are on AT&T you get a free touchstone (which is the way it should have been in the beginning).
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  18. #18  
    I am not going to tell you my age, but you aren't old...

    I still carry a BB Curve for work. You will LOVE the Pre+. The great thing about the Pre is that it is easier to use, but more capable at the same time.

    I guaranty that if you get one for the 30 days they allow for you to return it... you won't look back. And the quality, quality, and stability of the stuff the homebrew community produces... oh my! PreCentral and a Pre+, and you wont make eye contact with anyone for hours at a time...

    Ask the spouse of anyone that has posted here...
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by easymoney View Post
    Wow, you guys are awesome. Fast replies and civil too! So many of these forums are pretty harsh on newbies so I've become a reader rather than participant. OK, the guy at the VZW store said I could upgrade to Pre+ for $50 for 2 years, but no offer for 1 year which I prefer. Good deal? I'm 16 mon.into my BB. The demo phone there would only load mobile web pages but he didn't know how to change that and I didn't figure it out in my time there. I assume it can be changed to a full web page? I don't have a PC at home and the one at work is company restricted somewhat, so the web part is important to me.

    Thanks. Glad to see some, ah, peers here. I may look and act 53 but my thoughts are often closer to 18 or so

    Easy
    Get used to mostly fast/friendly. This community is the most valuable part of the webOS experience. In fact, about a week ago someone posted the idea that we should have a thread to raise money for the homebrew community. In one week PreCentral users donated over $6,000 to the cause, because most of them are doing this as a hobby, on a volunteer basis.

    Truly amazing...
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Both my 60+ parents just got Pre's and use them fine. My mom has become a text messaging machines (she loves the emoticons too). I think you will fine it fairly intuitive to use. And remember, you are never too old to learn anything!

    The Pre+ is definitely a good phone and if you are on VZW you get free hotspot (at least I think you still do) and if you are on AT&T you get a free touchstone (which is the way it should have been in the beginning).
    I'm sure they would agree with me that you kids shouldn't be talking about "old" until you've been drawing Social Security for over 2 years.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions