Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is this still possible with 1.4? There was a time when I had the phone plugged in to the car stereo with the casette adapter, someone called and I was able to hear the person through the car speakers and still talk normally without putting the phone to my ear. I'm pretty sure it was not using the speakers as a mic but it was probably making the front mic on the phone more sensitive while "headphones" plugged in(?). I did it accidentally once or twice but there were a few times it didn't work. Is there an order or some specific method to do this?
    If you reboot it will work until you unplug the headphones.... the other work around it to get a small mic adapter that goes into the headphone jack, then your cars plug will plug into the mic adapter. A few folks have gotten that to work in other threads. Right now, those are your two options.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If you reboot it will work until you unplug the headphones.... the other work around it to get a small mic adapter that goes into the headphone jack, then your cars plug will plug into the mic adapter. A few folks have gotten that to work in other threads. Right now, those are your two options.
    So let me get this right for solution #1...

1. Plug headphones in (or car aapter)
    2. Reboot Pre
    3. While using Pandora or Music Player while driving, if someone calls or if I want to call, launch phone app (or answer call) and I'm good?

There was some question in a previous thread when I first learned of this (soon after I got the phone after first release last year) that maybe you need to plug headphones in before starting Pandora or the phone app or somthing like that but I can't remember, I just don't remember having to reboot though.
    FYI, I just connect it to my Garmin GPS via BlueTooth, which sends it to the Aux port in my car stereo. The Garmin has a plug for a microphone, so I can listen on my car speakers and talk in to a lapel mic. The call quality is outstanding for me and the person I am talking to...
    Palm kinda screwed this up after 1.3.5, I used to use my FM adapter to handle calls, but then it stopped working. No one could hear me. If you reboot the phone, it will work, but I hated remembering whether it was still "workable" or having to reboot the phone getting in and out of the car. So I would really try to get the Dynex thing or if you are up to other solutions, I made this thread a while back: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ar-stereo.html

I ended up getting the Motorokr for like $40 on eBay, it's so cool, I use it all the time. Great little device. Now all the Pre needs is voice dialing...
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBiggles View Post
    So let me get this right for solution #1...

1. Plug headphones in (or car aapter)
    2. Reboot Pre
    3. While using Pandora or Music Player while driving, if someone calls or if I want to call, launch phone app (or answer call) and I'm good?

There was some question in a previous thread when I first learned of this (soon after I got the phone after first release last year) that maybe you need to plug headphones in before starting Pandora or the phone app or somthing like that but I can't remember, I just don't remember having to reboot though.
    you are correct, the reboot wasn't needed before, as was posted, this was broken in the 1.3.5 update.... And either the reboot, or the extra adapter is currently required to get this function back. From what I have seen there is no indication of either someone being able to patch this back to previous functionality or news of palm making this function as it did previously.
    you are correct, the reboot wasn't needed before, as was posted, this was broken in the 1.3.5 update.... And either the reboot, or the extra adapter is currently required to get this function back. From what I have seen there is no indication of either someone being able to patch this back to previous functionality or news of palm making this function as it did previously.
    Wasn't this fixed in 1.4.1?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If someone has info on this please let us know cuz I'm pretty sure I'm not rebooting everytime I get into my car unless Palm does SOMETHING to correct the unbelieveably long time it takes to do so.

What about using speaker phone... if you have "headphones" (ie: cassette adapter) plugged in, will the audio of the call still be heard through the headphone jack (car speakers) or just the speaker on the back of the phone? I haven't tried this yet because I'm not on my phone very often while driving but that may change if I realize this system is easy or it becomes easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBiggles View Post
    If someone has info on this please let us know cuz I'm pretty sure I'm not rebooting everytime I get into my car unless Palm does SOMETHING to correct the unbelieveably long time it takes to do so.

What about using speaker phone... if you have "headphones" (ie: cassette adapter) plugged in, will the audio of the call still be heard through the headphone jack (car speakers) or just the speaker on the back of the phone? I haven't tried this yet because I'm not on my phone very often while driving but that may change if I realize this system is easy or it becomes easy.
    i have never had a problem with this... i used the same setup for about 7-8 months, and it always worked flawlessly. But, as of last weeks about, i switched over to a bluetooth head deck and everything works swimmingly.

Another thing to note, i believe there was a time where it would glitch as to where if i called someone the mic wouldn't work, but if someone called me and i picked up the mic worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Not to my knowledge, there have been a few posts just in the last couple weeks about people having this issue. Personally I don't use my phone this way, I plug in in my car for audio output, but use my bluetooth for calls.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I'm using this set up... the only issue I've had is sometimes when calling someone, the mic won't work. I just unplug the headphone jack and plug it back in and it works fine...
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I ended up getting the Motorokr for like $40 on eBay, it's so cool, I use it all the time. Great little device. Now all the Pre needs is voice dialing...
    Yeah, I've been using a T505 for about a year now and love it. Like you, my car doesn't have bluetooth but it does have a very good stock stereo system. Probably the best sounding factory stereo I've ever heard, so I wanted to take advantage of it for playing my music collection via my bluetooth enabled mp3 player. Worked flawlessly. And now I can do the same with my Pre AND answer incoming calls as well!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutz View Post
    Yeah, I've been using a T505 for about a year now and love it. Like you, my car doesn't have bluetooth but it does have a very good stock stereo system. Probably the best sounding factory stereo I've ever heard, so I wanted to take advantage of it for playing my music collection via my bluetooth enabled mp3 player. Worked flawlessly. And now I can do the same with my Pre AND answer incoming calls as well!
    Hmm.. so can you use Music Player (Remix) to play music through Bluetooth? What kind of car is this and what kind of sound system? I really wish Music Player (Remix) had some EQ on it.... any word on that yet?
    if audio works through your bt setup, you should be able to use any webos audio player with bt. In our car that has bt, I have used dr podder, shoutcast and music player. They all can be used while using nav and won't interrupt your ability to take a call (u will lose your stream if streaming though).
    I managed to find out one day that if a pair of headphones are plugged in during a call, the phones mic will still pic up a persons normal voice pretty good (like when you are using the speakerphone) but the audio of the call will play through the headphones.
    Using a headphone splitter, plug some regular headphones (any cheap pair will do) into the splitter. Use a headphone extension (male to female) from the splitter to your car's stereo. Then use a male to male extension from the phone to the other female on the splitter (this avoids having a splitter either sticking out of you phone or car stereo). Tuck your cables and enjoy.
    No resetting needed and you can use your phone's music player through the stereo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am confused by your post, I do not understand why you need the splitter and headphones if you are using the car stereo... seams to be redundant to me.
    I am confused by your post, I do not understand why you need the splitter and headphones if you are using the car stereo... seams to be redundant to me.
    The Pre's mic will not pick up unless you have headphones plugged in (that is with the newest update as far as I can tell).
    Try plugging a male-to-male cable into the Pre with the other end not plugged into anything. Then call your Pre. If you speak into the Pre, you will not get any audio from the mic. While still on that call, plug in some headphones and two important things will happen.
    1. The mic will begin to pick up audio just like it does when on speaker phone.
    2. Anything said through the other phone will play through the headphones plugged into the Pre.
    For some reason, the Pre needs headphones plugged in in order to activate the mic. The splitter is to trick the Pre into letting incoming audio output through the headphones while being split and thus also playing through the car stereo.
    It's something Palm screwed up with the 1.4.1 update. All I know is mine works FLAWLESS. I get in my car, plug one jack into my Pre and it works without any fuss (or rebooting).
    Try it and see.
    Last edited by muchie9000; 07/21/2010 at 07:28 PM.
    I don't understand how the phone would know the difference between headphones and the same stereo jack feeding to a deck.
    I don't understand how the phone would know the difference between headphones and the same stereo jack feeding to a deck.
    I agree, it sounds fishy, but possibly there is an impedance difference between the audio jack plugged into a powered stereo and headphones? A jack not plugged into anything would have very high impedance (essentially infinite), and while I can't find any authoritative sources, it seems to me that the aux input on a car stereo would have a fairly high impedance (10k Ohms). Headphone impedance may be more like 50-100 Ohms. That's a pretty substantial difference. Connecting these in parallel means that the total impedance will be pretty close to the headphone impedance (I=1/[1/10k +1/100]=99).

So, it is possible that the Pre could be detecting impedance and doing something different on that basis. I have no idea whether this is actually the case, but electrically there is a difference between the headphones + aux and just the aux.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast