Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I agree, it sounds fishy, but possibly there is an impedance difference between the audio jack plugged into a powered stereo and headphones? A jack not plugged into anything would have very high impedance (essentially infinite), and while I can't find any authoritative sources, it seems to me that the aux input on a car stereo would have a fairly high impedance (10k Ohms). Headphone impedance may be more like 50-100 Ohms. That's a pretty substantial difference. Connecting these in parallel means that the total impedance will be pretty close to the headphone impedance (I=1/[1/10k +1/100]=99).

So, it is possible that the Pre could be detecting impedance and doing something different on that basis. I have no idea whether this is actually the case, but electrically there is a difference between the headphones + aux and just the aux.
    True True.... but then my thought is this would vary greatly based on setup. Not all aux inputs are setup the same (for example in our 3 cars we can 3 different connection types between Aux and deck). Then my thought is different types of decks would/could have a difference impedance.

Curious regardless, and you do make a great point. Just thinking if that is the case, we would see more variation based on any kind of setup, even different types of headphones. I dunno, this is all just random thought coming from me.

Also would then a standard headphone (without mic) appear different to the phone than one with mic, then standard with the mic adapter, etc? Just trying to hash out all the variables, and then the fact that at least part of this issue seams to be software based...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Also would then a standard headphone (without mic) appear different to the phone than one with mic, then standard with the mic adapter, etc? Just trying to hash out all the variables, and then the fact that at least part of this issue seams to be software based...
    I know the Pre used to treat my aux jack in my car differently from the headphones that came with it (which include a mic). It used to be that the volume settings were different. In other words, when I listened with the aux input, I would turn the Pre volume up all the way. Obviously, with my headphones, I would have it pretty low, like 3 bars. When I would plug in the aux jack, the volume was automatically turned up all the way. Unplug then plug in the headphones, and it was automatically at the last headphones setting. And, of course, the mic on the face of the Pre used to work consistently when using the aux input (whereas now it seems you have to do something else).

So yeah, the Pre used to know the difference between the included headphones and aux input at the very least. Not sure how it knew the difference. I wonder if some software adjustments were made to keep some of the "stuck in headset mode" issues from happening.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I know the Pre used to treat my aux jack in my car differently from the headphones that came with it (which include a mic). It used to be that the volume settings were different. In other words, when I listened with the aux input, I would turn the Pre volume up all the way. Obviously, with my headphones, I would have it pretty low, like 3 bars. When I would plug in the aux jack, the volume was automatically turned up all the way. Unplug then plug in the headphones, and it was automatically at the last headphones setting. And, of course, the mic on the face of the Pre used to work consistently when using the aux input (whereas now it seems you have to do something else).

So yeah, the Pre used to know the difference between the included headphones and aux input at the very least. Not sure how it knew the difference. I wonder if some software adjustments were made to keep some of the "stuck in headset mode" issues from happening.
    Good thought on the "stuck in headset mode"....

I haven't noticed that with my aux vs headphones, will have to keep an eye on that, but I think it stays the same, cuz I always have to turn it down when I put in my headphones (and I think it does it both with the mic'd and my un mic'd philips ones). Then again I could have a patch that messes with the way my pre sees volume as well.

Too many variables. I still think my personal solution (after I buy another touchstone, or 2) is gonna be able to set aside the $50 for the Motorolla T505. Have heard good things and I think it will be good for the multiple cars I end up in, and only one car has BT.
    I used a Y-connector to add a headset to the AUX jack in my car. Now the MIC on my Pre+ is working when its plugged into my car speakers.

ps: I have a touchstone too.

thanks,
    Last edited by swieder; 07/22/2010 at 10:09 PM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    So I have been trying to figure this out my self. My wife has a cassette adapter in her car and it works just fine. I have an aux cable plugged into the stereo in my car and I can only hear people they can't hear me. Also if I use my skull candy headphones it works just fine too. Resetting my phone does not seem to solve the problem in my car. I really with this would get fixed.
    I'm thinking jbg must be onto something with impedance..... I am also thinking the theory of possible software change to help with stuck in headset mode might be the cause of the issue.

The software update that altered the built in mic working, must have altered when the Pre recognizes a headset plugged in. The change in this recognition must be what is causing the various differences we are all seeing, it would also explain why when restarting with an aux cable, you get a functioning mic....
    I never had this working so I can't say something broke, but..

I'm just another user who wants to be able to listen to a phone call through car stereo using aux-cable and speak via Pre microphone.

When I connect it and talk normally in a phone call, it thinks a mic is connected so it doesn't use the on-Pre one. Consequently, the other user can't hear me.

If I set it to speakerphone mode, it uses the Pre mic in speakerphone mode (preferred! duh) but sound goes out the back of the Pre instead of through aux...

I have a Touchstone as well..
    After reading all of these posts, man am I happy I have a bluetooth headset!! I play my Pre through my Aux input in my car and when a call comes in, I answer it with the bluetooth headset, no unplugging cables anywhere. Why aren't you guys avoiding this monstrosity of an annoyance and get BT headset dag nabbit?!!
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    After reading all of these posts, man am I happy I have a bluetooth headset!! I play my Pre through my Aux input in my car and when a call comes in, I answer it with the bluetooth headset, no unplugging cables anywhere. Why aren't you guys avoiding this monstrosity of an annoyance and get BT headset dag nabbit?!!
    Super old thread... and even an old OS revision at the time even for original Sprint Pre users now.

Personally I have a BT headset and hate it.... since then I have bought a "TouchPik" BT adapter FM transmitter, also bought and Audiovox BT to mini plug adapter, plus the one car has bluetooth in the Clarion deck that is in it (this car had the deck even back when this thread was new.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Super old thread... and even an old OS revision at the time even for original Sprint Pre users now.

Personally I have a BT headset and hate it.... since then I have bought a "TouchPik" BT adapter FM transmitter, also bought and Audiovox BT to mini plug adapter, plus the one car has bluetooth in the Clarion deck that is in it (this car had the deck even back when this thread was new.
    What don't you like about the bt headset if I may ask?
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I do this all the time with no problems. Bluetooth for voice. Headphone out into speakers for music. Or I can plug it into the old Belkin adapter that takes my audio and sends it to the speakers via FM. I'm on a Pre Plus and have never had problems in any version.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    BTW - I have an iphone 4s. It also links to my car via bluetooth. But the voice-out mapquest app won't output to the stereo. Not by bluetooth. Not by headphone jack. That makes NO sense to me. Music and phone work fine.

It's not just webos that has weird bugs.
    Funny thing happened to me while I was working up in NoCal last week. I had my Pre 3 plugged into the rental car stereo via the aux jack listening to music/Nav app when a phone call came in and when I answered it my Pre 3 went into speaker mode and worked beautifully with the callers voice broadcasting over the cars speakers. This feature use to work on my previous Sprint Pre until one of the updates ruined it (I think it was 1.3.5).
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    What don't you like about the bt headset if I may ask?
    Well my car (the one that has the aux input setup), is lowered a couple inches and is a convertible... lots of road noise means I am usually yelling at the person on the head set, and saying "what", "huh", "I didn't hear what you said".

Playing through the speakers of my system means I get a lot better sound from the caller, and the mic on my audiovox adapter pics up my voice surprisingly well just sitting on my center console. Plus the adapter displays caller ID, and I can pause music from it's controls.

A BT headset is just one more thing to keep charged, carry around with me, and not lose.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12