Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes
    Hi snotball007,

I'm an ex 680 user too and loved it, but loved the change to webOS even more. The folks in the Homebrew community are amazing! We look forward to adding another developer to that community if you decide to jump in!
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Just got one this past weekend at a Radio Shack in Orlando.

My girlfriend then wanted one too (we're on the same plan), so did that. Mine was fine, but hers was already registered to someone else (also headphones were missing), she didn't like the idea of having one someone else used, so returned it next day and got one that was new.

Then got home and that one had a defect that wasn't on mine, a noticeable gap between ween the keyboard and front that clicked down every time you squeezed it. Mine was flush and didn't do this. Trouble was we'd been on a trip to Orlando when we got it, now back home so far none of the radio shacks i've called have them (and none have touchstones). They are trying to get one sent down from another store, hopefully...

That aside I'm in love w/ the device. I had a fuze before, which in some ways had more stuff on paper (e.g., 640x480 screen) but was sluggish and unresponsive. And that joke of an app store... sheesh. their xna community did the best they could to make it better, but I couldn't go back to WM now. I gave up waiting on wm7, and happy w/ it a ton right now.
  3.    #43  
    Welcome aapold! Once you get to know the Pre, webOS and all they have to offer, your gonna get addicted. Lol Enjoy!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I was getting ready to order a touchstone for my Palm Pre Plus but I want to make sure that the charger will work with a Palm pre touchstone or does it have to say Palm Pre Plus and be ATT? Or are they interchangable? What about a touchstone for Pixi?
    Just got my palm pre plus yesterday and I'm loving it so far. Been lurking around here for about a month checking things out and researching so I figure I might as well de-lurk now

Kellannah: All of the accessories are interchangeable. Well...except for the touchstone backs between the pre and pixi, but all the chargers and touchstones work with whatever device you have.
    I've had my pre for a little while now, but i'm still for some odd reason not completely sold. Some part of me is still thinking about the HTC aria, but I haven't been able to find any definitive information explaining what the difference is between the two phones.

I love the web os for getting to tinker with stuff, but the fact I can't zoom in to take photos is an irksome thing for me. I think I'm growing to love my Pre, but I'm still unsure. I have to make my decision soon though, considering I'm almost at the end of the 30 days. If anyone can help me make my choice, I'd appreciate it!
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Ok,

I've installed "Govnah". It tells me that my CPU is running at 500MhZ. Isn't the CPU in the GSM Pre supposed to be 600Mhz? Why is mine running 100Mhz slower than it should be? I'm not noticing any slowness. I've had at least 15 apps open at one time with no slow downs. What's up with that?
    "And miles to go before I sleep..."
    Guitarist/Composer/Founder- Metal band-"DARK BLU"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/darkblu
    palm underclocks by 100mhz when not playing games. during gameplay, it goes to 600mhz. this is normal
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ludovi View Post
    I've had my pre for a little while now, but i'm still for some odd reason not completely sold. Some part of me is still thinking about the HTC aria, but I haven't been able to find any definitive information explaining what the difference is between the two phones.

I love the web os for getting to tinker with stuff, but the fact I can't zoom in to take photos is an irksome thing for me. I think I'm growing to love my Pre, but I'm still unsure. I have to make my decision soon though, considering I'm almost at the end of the 30 days. If anyone can help me make my choice, I'd appreciate it!
    I have to agree with you on lack of zoom. My Palm Centro had Zoom. My Samsung Blackjack had zoom. It's annoying for this phone to not have zoom. Was Palm just trying to emulate the iPhone's lack of functionality by duplicating the lack of zoom feature (The first first iPhone and 3G iPhone didn't have zoom, did it?)
    "And miles to go before I sleep..."
    Guitarist/Composer/Founder- Metal band-"DARK BLU"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/darkblu
    Quote Originally Posted by TableZero View Post
    The iPhone OS, to me, has got pretty stagnant even with the preview they showed.
    I couldn't agree more! That's why I also got an AT&T Pre
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    just got my palm a couple days ago and am i already pretty happy with it...i can't say how much i missed my actual keyboard after having my iphone and other touch screen phones for so long...
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1lla View Post
    just got my palm a couple days ago and am i already pretty happy with it...i can't say how much i missed my actual keyboard after having my iphone and other touch screen phones for so long...
    Welcome! Glad to hear that you're enjoying the phone. Please reach out if you have any questions.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I have been searching these forums to no avail so far.

For most of the Sprint Pre questions, I am finding ## or #* codes and a good explanation of what they do.

Is there a compiled list for the ATT phones that I have overlooked?

EDIT: I am mostly concerned with the lack of download and buffer when attempting to watch a youtube clip over wifi.
    I think this is what you need.

If it makes you feel any better, I had to use Google to find this! The search function in here doesn't always work as well as using google. :-(

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ash-codes.html

Also, until you have 10 posts, you can't see links, so here it is in a form you can paste into your browser:

forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/184651-pre-specific-hash-codes.html
    A week ago, I changed from a Sprint Pre to the at&t Pre+. I think an accounting of everything I did wrong might help somebody. Then again, maybe I'm just venting.

To activate the phone, you need to log onto the Palm Profile, which I did. It immediately started downloading all of my existing programs over the 3G network. If there was chance to setup my wireless connection beforehand, I missed it. I got the minimum data plan, and exceeded it within a week, with 90% of the data used in this download. at&t does seem willing to adjust my bill, but I've yet to receive my first one, so we'll see.

Lesson 1: Setup your wireless connection immediately.

It's kind of appalling how little of the setup data existed from the restored programs, so I spent a day re-setting up my accounts, passwords, etc. Then, I noticed some programs were missing. I understood that at the very least all my programs were supposed to be restored. Going to the App Catalog, I still couldn't find them! (OK, it was Angry Birds and a couple of others). So I went on-line to see why this was happening (I always try to research my problems before I ask obvious questions), I found something mentioning the release being tied the the webOS version. So it hit me like an angry bird. I didn't have the latest version. None of the programs that required it were restored to my phone. I guess that's as designed, but even after I upgraded, I had to get them from the App Catalog myself, and one of them, a calculator program, was longer available, so I lost that one. At least I used my wireless.

Lesson 2: Verify you have the latest webOS, and get it if you don't, before you restore your phone. Be sure you're within wireless range.

The message at&t so kindly sent me that I exceeded my data limits within the first week of activating the phone was an eye opener. With unlimited data on Sprint, I admit to being spoiled, but I spent a fair amount of time calculating what I should be using, and I knew the minimum plan should have been fine.

So then I learned how to setup my wireless account at at&t, mined through the well-hidden detailed account information, and finally found my data usage details. Sure enough, the first day I had the phone was 90% of it, the next few days were intentional tests of various programs and 3G data coverage areas, and then I noticed something interesting. At or around 9:00 PM, there was a regular block of data being used. The amount ranges from 40K to 8M. It wasn't me. I'm home at that time, the phone is on the charger, and my wireless is active. After some thought, I concluded that Palm Backup was doing this. But I didn't know how to make it stop.

at&t has a very helpful setup number for new Palm users. Although I've had one since 6/6/09, it's not hard for me to play dumb, so today I called. After trying to explain to the increasingly confused rep. how Palm Backup was using data and not wireless to do its thing, I got put on hold. She came back and told me how to turn data off. "That's not helpful if I ever actually want to leave my house," I explained. I got put on hold again. When she came back, she had some interesting info. She told me the Palm Backup was happening between 4:30 and 6:00 PM, and not the 9 PM time I saw on my bill. So apparently, this is not caused by Palm Backup. Of course, the times Palm reports and at&t reports may not be the same, and as I look at my phone right now, it says the last backup was 9 AM, so who knows?

Lesson 3: Don't be afraid to call the at&t / Palm setup number. You've got 90 days from activation, and they really are nice. 1-866-785-PALM (7256)

So thanks to the rep., I know how to turn off data, and have done so, but will need to wait before anything shows up on the bill, or a program on my phone starts complaining about not getting data it needs, and if it does, that shouldn't happen without my knowledge or control. Assuming I can identify it, I'll be making an appropriate and probably suitably outraged post in the appropriate forum.

Lesson 4: Not all programs behave as they should, and might be costing you valuable data usage. Look on your on-line at&t bill for recurring and regular access times. It's under Voice Details.
    So I'm in kind of an annoying situation. I'm on Alltel in Wyoming. We've started the transition to AT&T. And I have this brand new, shiny Palm Pre Plus sitting in front of me. Unfortunately, AT&T refuses to activate it until May 9th.

So basically, it's a paperweight for a month. A pretty paperweight, mind you, but a paperweight none-the-less.

I ran Meta-Doctor to bypass the activation and first-run app, so I can actually get into and use the thing now. But it looks like from the Meta-Doctor documentation, you are only supposed to bypass the activation if you never plan on activating the phone.

Will I have to re-doctor this thing in a month when I can get it activated, and start from scratch?

Has anybody ever used a prepaid sim on AT&T to activate their Pre?

Any other suggestions? I hate having a new toy that I can't play with.
    I just bought a Pre Plus after being a Symbian user for a long long time.
    I was always impressed with what I saw in webOS and when I decided to leave Symbian behind I was certain I would try a Pre.

I am so glad I did.
    sketch42 likes this.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123