1.    #1  
    We are due for an upgrade on our Alltel phones and would like to switch to a Verizon phones. I want to get my son a Palm Pre but have a few questions.

1) Does the Palm Pre get good signal strength compared to other phones?
    2) Does the Palm Pre work well as "phone?" By this I mean I know it does more that just send and receive phone calls but how does it work in this area?
    3) Is it possible to block websites so he can't get to the whole web on the phone?

Thanks in advance.
    Pre's phone has been great for us, but we're on Sprint. Actually, in my area I think were roaming on Verizon simply because it has better signal. Which is okay with us and doesn't cost extra.

In reference to the Pre Plus, it is a better phone with simply more RAM and storage then Sprint older Palm Pre...so it is hard to go wrong.

Does the browser have parental controls...not yet though others have been asking for it and something will crop up from the developer community sooner then later.

Sorli...
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info Sorli, anyone else?
    I have a Sprint Pre. And I find that the radio in the Pre does a lot of signal flopping. This might be as a result of poor sprint signal, or just that the radio has trouble. Or a combination of both. But I suspect the radio because I've had other sprint phones (palm centro, samsung m520, lg rumor2) and none of them exhibited the signal flopping that I've seen on the Pre. For an example, look at this video at about the 4:00 minute mark. Watch the signal strength indicator on the Pre.

Even the Pixi doesn't seem to show the same signal flopping problems that the Pre does. And FWIW, I've had 5 different sprint pre's and all have exhibited this problem. This also, BTW, absolutely KILLS battery life.

Of course, that said, when I switch to roam only mode, I get much more consistent signal strength roaming on Verizon than directly on Sprint. So it could be that the Pre's radio problems are exacerbated by Sprint signal problems. My friend on Verizon w/a Palm Pre Plus has not reported the signal flopping that I've seen.

As a phone, I find that I'm able to make phone calls in a *LOT* more areas than I can receive data on my Pre. Voice quality is good. Would love for noise cancellation, but don't have that. You can get that with a good bluetooth headset. It's a decent phone. My biggest complaints as a phone are:
    1. Holding it up to my ear in a place with moderate noise can make it hard to hear the caller. No problems if use wired or wireless headsets
    2. Ringtone volume is frequently too quiet and I miss calls b/c I didn't hear them. Only a problem when I put the phone down and would like to hear it ring from a room away.
    3. Signal flopping sometimes causes missed calls. I've done a workaround

As for parental controls, my son has a Pixi, and I'd love to have parental controls, too. But alas.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 05/24/2010 at 11:40 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    As far as blocking websites goes, I don't believe you can right now. At least I don't know of any App that does that. There may be a patch.

However, if you are concerned about blocking the internet I would not recommend a Pre. WebOS is extremely hackable. If your son is technologically inclined, he will likely find this site and start doing some hacking. In that case it is possible he will be able to remove your blocks.

In addition, he could WebOS doctor his phone and remove anything you put on it.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Signal strenth has been same as my other phones, I am on sprint. How well does the pre work as a phone? Honestly, if I just needed a phone for phone calls, I most likeley wouldn't go for the Pre. It's not bad as a phone, it's just not amazing (like the rest of the features). As for parental controls, yes it can be added in the near future (as sorli said), but for now the answer is No, you cannot police what ur son is doing on his pre's browser.
    I found the call quality and signal strength to be excellent. People have commented on the improvement from by Centro. I am on VZ, btw. I especially like the single tap to conference in a second line. It was not that simple on my Centro.

There are also many excellent patches that add or tweak the phone app to various needs.

I also noticed that the phone app starts much faster after the latest webOS update, and that has been nice...
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    WebOS is extremely hackable. If your son is technologically inclined, he will likely find this site and start doing some hacking. In that case it is possible he will be able to remove your blocks.

In addition, he could WebOS doctor his phone and remove anything you put on it.
    While that's all true, I know that my children aren't that inclined to learn this stuff. So parental controls, although hackable, would be beneficial to me. And even if they did hack the phone, I would put a proviso on their usage of the phone: I will inspect the phone at any time. If I see any evidence of tampering, you will lose it for some period of time - TBDTBDTBD.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    While that's all true, I know that my children aren't that inclined to learn this stuff. So parental controls, although hackable, would be beneficial to me. And even if they did hack the phone, I would put a proviso on their usage of the phone: I will inspect the phone at any time. If I see any evidence of tampering, you will lose it for some period of time - TBDTBDTBD.
    I agree, I wish they offerd something that could block certain inappropriate websites.
    Quote Originally Posted by boddah4 View Post
    We are due for an upgrade on our Alltel phones and would like to switch to a Verizon phones. I want to get my son a Palm Pre but have a few questions.

2) Does the Palm Pre work well as "phone?" By this I mean I know it does more that just send and receive phone calls but how does it work in this area?
    3) Is it possible to block websites so he can't get to the whole web on the phone?

Thanks in advance.
    1. Signal strength is for the most part pretty good. My only complaint is that sometimes, for no reason at all, I'll lose 3G. This is in an area where I get all 5 bars, and outdoors. Sometimes it switches to 3G quickly, sometimes it takes a while.

2. My only complaint with the phone aspect of this device is that the speaker (not speakerphone) is too quiet, even at max volume. This makes it hard or impossible to hear the call in a noisy environment.

3. No. There are no parental control options, and probably never will be. But take it from me, there is no way you will prevent your child from viewing something that you consider inappropriate, no matter how far you go in blocking the content. The Chinese can't do it, and neither can you, and if there is something he wants to see, there is always a way. So that should not stop you from buying a data-capable phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by boddah4 View Post

Thanks in advance.

1. I have compared my Pre with other phones by the same carrier in the same location and my reception is mediocre. Not the best, but not the worst either.

2. As a smart phone the Pre is okay. It is INFERIOR hardware with a decent OS. I know there were gps issues with the pre+ with verizon and have no idea if they were ever resolved. If you are looking for a nice verizon smart phone than I would recommend the Motorola Droid or the HTC Incredible. Both phones are work very well, plus you get android apps which far surpass whats on the Pre (Opinion based on what kind of apps I need, YMMV).

3. No idea about parental control, but like stated before if it does than it won't be hard to bypass.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    If you're taking that approach to monitoring your kid I may suggest asking for the following in the developer section.

A program that monitors web traffic and sends a list of accessed sites to a certain email address or parent app periodically. My Dad, had something similar on my PC when I was a kid ( having a dad who can actually write programs).
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    I hate to say it, but if you are that worried about your kids on the internet, I would really suggest a feature phone and an iPod touch. Not to mention the vast amount of distractions that are available on the phone, it may not be useful for them in school.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!