1.    #1  
    I found a good alternative to buying a second battery for my Pre. I picked up one of these key chain phone chargers at Best Buy over the weekend, and it seems to work like a charm. It plugs into your phone's USB port, and the larger part of the charger fits around the back of the phone. It's small enough where your phone (while bulky and strangely shaped) will still fit in your pocket, and you can also still use the phone while it's being charged up. If the charge on the backup charger runs down, you can plug it into your phone, and then plug your wall charger into the backup charger, and it will charge up both your phone AND the backup charger at the same time.

The link above lists a pair of these backup chargers for $19.99. That's not correct. The one for micro-USB phones like the Pre and the Motorola phones is actually $19.99 for *one*. Still cheaper than buying another internal battery.

The only downside is that according to a warning on the back of the packaging, it may not charge up a completely dead battery. Not sure what's up with that limitation.
    Can the charge stick be charged up by itself? How long does it take to charge?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    That looks pretty cool - how long does it last on a full charge?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  4.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Can the charge stick be charged up by itself? How long does it take to charge?
    Yes, it can be charged by itself. You can use your phone's plugin charger.

Not sure how long it takes to charge. Haven't had it long enough. Seems about the same as the wall charger or Touchstone.
    I have one, it doesn't take too long to charge at all. It increases the charge in the phone by about 30% in my experience. If I'm out and getting low (20-40% remaining) I'll plug this into the phone and it will go up to 50-70% fairly quickly. VERY handy in my experience. And for $20, and rechargeable, it is pretty awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    That looks pretty cool - how long does it last on a full charge?
    I haven't had may times that I've needed it, but I would expect it would be able to charge my std battery at least once. The battery only puts out 500mA from each port, so I wouldn't expect to get a full charge unless I could figure out how to combine both ports into a single cable (way out of my league...). I read somewhere that the Pre battery needs 1000ma output to fully charge.

I got one after seeing a friend use one on his iPhone. He said he was able to charge his iPhone up twice on one battery charge. Based on how iPhone batteries work, I doubt he was really getting a full charge.

I was able to get a full charge out of it for my mp3 player and still charge my phone on an airplane a few weeks ago. The flight was only a couple of hours, and I think I recall getting about 30% charged to my phone before I got in a rental car and went back to my touchstone...

It definitely has enough juice to keep the battery charging while on a call, but that was with all the other radios off...

There website says it is the first such device that has enough power to last the entire "iPod update process", whatever that is... since I thought that was done through iTunes while plugged in to a PC...

But for $10, it was worth having in my bag to loan to jesusPhone users when we are travelling together... Ironically, the vendor website will sell replacement batteries for this thing, but they cost $12.99 LOL
    just my 2 cents....

i found Palm batteries on ebay REALLY CHEAP - i think i got 2 for $10...including shipping

most people dont realize how cheap they are... i leave town every weekend and the 2 extra batteries are easier to carry than any one of the numerous chargers i have...(small enough to fit in a wallet) and i never have to worry about keeping my phone plugged into a wall to recharge..

i also bought a standalone cradle charger (so u can charge batteries without charging the phone too) ~$20.....

that way my phone is never plugged in, i just change the battery once it's dead

cheap...easy....convenient....nuff said.
  8.    #9  
    I figure one backup charger for $20 makes more sense for me than $30 for two batteries and a battery charger. It's a matter of what I need. Some people would probably disagree.
    fyi, those cheap batteries were probably made originally for the Centro. They will not fit quite as tight (but they do fit) and they were probably manufactured 3 or 4 years ago. I have a drawer full of them with my Centro. They didn't provide great attery life in my Centro and I didn't see any improvement when I tried them in my Pre+.

To me, it was worth it to get the 1350mah and 2600mah batteries rather than mess with the Centro batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by oren217 View Post
    just my 2 cents....

i found Palm batteries on ebay REALLY CHEAP - i think i got 2 for $10...including shipping

most people dont realize how cheap they are... i leave town every weekend and the 2 extra batteries are easier to carry than any one of the numerous chargers i have...(small enough to fit in a wallet) and i never have to worry about keeping my phone plugged into a wall to recharge..

i also bought a standalone cradle charger (so u can charge batteries without charging the phone too) ~$20.....

that way my phone is never plugged in, i just change the battery once it's dead

cheap...easy....convenient....nuff said.
    yup, two batteries in the wallet behind my license ftw. its a normal sized wallet and i don't notice them, equivalent to maybe four Credit cards stacked?

of course, if you have a smaller wallet (i used to have a money clip wallet, had clip for bills and slots for the cards) it'd never fit
    I'm looking for a backup battery source which uses "AA" batteries or the like. Sounds crazy, but bear with me for a sec.

We are 2 weeks away from hurricane season & having experienced 7-10 days without electricity, I'm looking for a "long term" battery backup. I don't mind switching out regular batteries in a charger to charge my Pre but do not want to take the actual Pre battery out of the phone.

The last time we went thru a hurricane, the only phone service we had was cell service. Sitting in the car, using the car charger to make calls was a little rediculous but the only option I had at critical times.

Hopefully that explains my "long term" needs. The above options are great when you have electricity. We do have a generator, but I don't want to hook any of my electronics up to it b/c of potential power surges....

If anyone comes across such a device, I'd appreciate you passing the info along...

Thanx in advance....
    Last edited by sherryterry1; 05/24/2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling