Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So it doesn't do it automatically every time i put the phone on charge or on the TS, if not it does't work for me.
    that's interesting. Is the first cover defective?
    Quote Originally Posted by rem_kujawa View Post
    I did forget to mention that I switch the TS back cover with another one and it seems to be fine now, I have not seen any device warning notifications.
    I've noticed some increased temps on the TS, particularly in the car when I'm using the pre for music +/- nav. Obviously I'm not keeping close tabs on my temps in the car, but I've looked down at a stoplight and seen the temp as high as 61C. Have there been well established ABSOLUTE temp ceilings defined yet? I was concerned to see the icon read so high (interestingly, it the icon shows FLAMES above 60, a nice touch), but to be perfectly honest, I stopped multitasking, let it cool off to the 40s again, and resumed, without a problem. since then (weeks ago), I haven't noticed any ill effects. (though by no means is that an endorsement of safety at those temps; just my n-of-one case.)
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    did your screen color distort. r
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    I get a warning every 5 minutes while on touchstone, I use 800mhz and am planning on just going back to 500 really soon.

or if someone can lead me to a forum that I could make it go back down to 500mhz while charging??
    The webinternals team has come up with a new govenor called screenstate which will do exactly what you are looking for. You only need to install Govnah which will give you that option. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...01-govnah.html
    To learn more about the screenstate govenor, go here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...rclocking.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    that's interesting. Is the first cover defective?
    no clue, but it did make a difference to mine.
    The pre get hot with or without patches/kernels/themes/ or whatever you may had to it. Your phone will be all right no need to worry. I've been using patches and overclocking mod for a while now... 1000% Safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by RizP View Post
    I've noticed some increased temps on the TS, particularly in the car when I'm using the pre for music +/- nav. Obviously I'm not keeping close tabs on my temps in the car, but I've looked down at a stoplight and seen the temp as high as 61C. Have there been well established ABSOLUTE temp ceilings defined yet? I was concerned to see the icon read so high (interestingly, it the icon shows FLAMES above 60, a nice touch), but to be perfectly honest, I stopped multitasking, let it cool off to the 40s again, and resumed, without a problem. since then (weeks ago), I haven't noticed any ill effects. (though by no means is that an endorsement of safety at those temps; just my n-of-one case.)
    You're lucky, anything over 50C puts you in the danger zone. It's best not to have anything that loads the processor running while on the touchstone.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I owned the touchstone charger for about 2 weeks. Ditched it. It didn't charge the Pre as fast as stock charger and it made the phone hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    You're lucky, anything over 50C puts you in the danger zone. It's best not to have anything that loads the processor running while on the touchstone.
    I don't doubt that you're right in principle. Certainly there's a high enough temp (range) where damage is imminent. I'd just like to see some data about chip tolerances, failure rates... something. I don't mind dialing back. Not at all. But I want to be doing it for verified reasons, not baseless consensus. Otherwise, it's kinda like saying the world really IS flat just b/c everyone says so.
    mine is the battery, in the govnah app it shows it 5-8 degrees C. The battery is just plain hot. My old pre's were not like that.
    Yeah mine definitely gets pretty warm too, but as long as it's just sitting on the charger and you're not doing a bunch of stuff on it, you don't really have to worry.
    Ok...I already had the screenstate option for Govnah set at 500 with the screen off...I added the Brightness Unlinked and turned off the screen when on the charger (instead of keeping the lockscreen open)...I also moved my touchstone to an area in my house with better airflow. When I left it alone to charge, had no heat problems at all. When I checked it, it seemed to be averaging between 35-37 C. Then of course, I decided to do some stuff while it was charging, and it overheated pretty quickly. I guess for me, the key is to use it for charging and don't play with it.
    Just remember you have a couple of options here:

You can unplug the TS cable and plug it into the Pre, leaving the Pre on the TS.

You can get another Micro USB cable and unplug the USB cable from the Palm AC-DC converter charger, and plug the new cable into the USB port. That way, you don't have to fiddle around with the micro USB cable that goes into the TS.

This will definitely lower the heat output of the Pre as the Magnetic Field isn't in operation.

I use this method for the TS in my car. When the Pre starts to get hot, i just unplug the cable from the TS, and if a charge is necessary, I just take that unplugged cable and plug it into the Pre, leaving the Pre on the TS because it is in such a great spot in my car. Navigation is in perfect view.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    In my opinion, if you are not overclocking, and if your Pre is not in direct sunlight, you shouldn't have to worry about overheating on the touchstone (assuming you're using the stock 1A regular or car charger). Palm has designed the touchstone to be a charger as well as a desk stand, ie the Pre is meant to be used while on the touchstone. So if Palm has done a proper thermal analysis of all intended use cases, everything should be just fine. If the Pre actually did not function properly as a result of heat, it would be a warranty issue. Palm did not design the Pre with user monitoring of temperatures in mind.

If you are overclocking, all bets are off. If you are running something other than Palm branded chargers, all bets are off, unless you can show them to be equivalent.

Otherwise, running navigation while streaming Pandora over bluetooth and sitting on the touchstone ought to be just fine.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    In my opinion, if you are not overclocking, and if your Pre is not in direct sunlight, you shouldn't have to worry about overheating on the touchstone (assuming you're using the stock 1A regular or car charger). Palm has designed the touchstone to be a charger as well as a desk stand, ie the Pre is meant to be used while on the touchstone. So if Palm has done a proper thermal analysis of all intended use cases, everything should be just fine. If the Pre actually did not function properly as a result of heat, it would be a warranty issue. Palm did not design the Pre with user monitoring of temperatures in mind.

If you are overclocking, all bets are off. If you are running something other than Palm branded chargers, all bets are off, unless you can show them to be equivalent.

Otherwise, running navigation while streaming Pandora over bluetooth and sitting on the touchstone ought to be just fine.
    i have been over clocking for as long as the kernels have been available and these have gotten nothing but better -- i use the uber kernel and cpuscaler now and my pre + runs cooler then when i was running the stock kernel. IMHO the real culprit is data usage -- streaming aps cause a lot of heat and if you want to use these and charge on your TS then you need to combat it -- make sure that there is a good flow of air and if you are not in you car or somewhere the the phone can be damaged leave it in the open position. in the car position the phone in front of a vent. -- GPS aps also have a tendancy to cause heat ( i feel that this is because most of them like google maps access data to provide maps)

i don't care what you are doing what kernel you are using if you are streaming music and using a gps nav ap your phone will get hot kernel -- no kernel -- palm standard charger -- aftermarket -- if you are doing these things make sure you have something to warn you if the heat swells so that you can be aware --
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    pre gets way to hot on the TS then the screen starts to respond a bit quirky. Shouldn't do that.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
    pre gets way to hot on the TS then the screen starts to respond a bit quirky. Shouldn't do that.
    Probaby not lol.. what I did to combat this was install uberkernal with govnah. I use the 720 screen-state, and it works brilliantly. Have not gone above 37 even while on a call on the Touchstone.
    My Pre gets warm on the TS but I have Govnah with Screenstate 500/800. Screen off, app off, etc. I must admit my 3GS, Nokia N79 also get hot when working hard. seems the battery gets hot discharging, but not that hot charging.
    The TS has loosely coupled transformer windings to charge the Pre with, and the poor coupling between the TS and the Pre Back cause lots of loss in the form of heat. Plus the wire is pretty small and current is high. I think the TS circuitry in the back of the Pre also radiates a lot of heat. Nothing to do about that though. My main concern is the battery life with all that heat/cool cycles on the TS can't be healthy. I could charge USB but the TS is too cool! Pun intended. Pah, battery can be replaced. I think the TS is one of the coolest features of the phone!
    The webinternals team has come up with a new govenor called screenstate which will do exactly what you are looking for. You only need to install Govnah which will give you that option. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...01-govnah.html
    To learn more about the screenstate govenor, go here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...rclocking.html
    I have been using screenstate at 250:720. Dropping clock down to 250 with screen off noticeably decreased resting temperatures by quite a bit, at least 5 degrees. Lately I have started trying 125:720. Touchstone charging temp seems to be significantly lower as well. I have not experienced any issues with receiving incoming calls, notifications, or even Pandora streaming in the background while at 125, but that just my own personal observation.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast