Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been researching and reading reviews on this phone. I want to take the plunge and buy this phone. I just wanted to ask the community for their experiences with the phone. This will be my first smartphone. I currently use the Env3. My biggest hesitation is the keyboard and the battery life. There are 50/50 opinions on the keyboard as well as the battery. I did try the keyboard in the store and really don't think it is a deal breaker. But only using it for a few minutes it is hard to tell. I will not be a power user on it. Can anyone tell me their experiences with the keyboard and the battery life? I also recently heard that answering a call and texting is not simple to do. Can that be true?? Anything else you want to share would be greatly appreciated too! Thanks..
    Answering the phone and texting is as easy as any other phone. The best part of this phone is the free mobile hot spot offer for this phone from verizon. You can hook up to 5 devices to this phone. So if you have a laptop, and are on the road, you can get on the internet through This phone via wifi on the verizon 3G network. Thats a $60 a month free offer from verizon.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I know about the Hot Spot free feature and that is definitely a bonus. With Verizon charging a restocking fee for returning a phone I am trying to do my best to make the right choice. Thanks for the input!!
    It's a smartphone, so battery life in general will not be as good as a "dumb" phone. Some people have reported on these forums that they cannot make it through a day on a single charge. Others say that they can easily go all day on a charge. My personal experience on a Sprint Pre with wifi, bluetooth, and GPS on all the time is that I easily make it through the day.

Your battery life will depend on a number of factors, such as your signal strength, use of wifi, bluetooth, and GPS; and whether you are streaming apps such as Pandora.
    I personally like the keyboard. It has good travel and is a little clicky if that makes sense. Battery life is subjective. I am a power user with 40 to 50 emails. Lots of phone calls and some web surfing when I have down time. I cannot make it a whole without charging. But remember it's a smartphone if you want exceptional battery life stick with a dumbphone. You have many more abilities with phone and that is the trade off. Radioshack is selling touchstones for 19.99 and I suggest you stock up. I got 5 and use everyone of them. Webos is alone and atop the OS market.
    There is nothing even close. Bite the bullet you will be happy.
    Apple.........The New Skynet
    When I say alone and atop I meant quality and ease of use.
    obviously iphone and android have more sheep.
    Apple.........The New Skynet
    I like the keyboard on the Sprint Pre, and the one on the Verizon Pre is better by all accounts (though not quite as good as the Pixi). It takes a little bit of time to get used to any keyboard, but after having it for 11 months, I can almost touch-type on it, despite its (minor) shortcomings.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I don't know how anyone can argue battery life is good w/this phone. The best I've heard is that it doesn't suck too bad, and this is coming from (quite frankly) Palm apologists. If you're a real power user, and not someone who just really likes their phone but doesn't use it all that often, you won't make a day w/the default battery. You will need multiple touchstones, want to look at an extended battery, and consider cpu scaling. To call it anything but ludicrous would be disingenuous.

However, with as abysmal as the battery life is, it is still the best phone I've ever used - and I currently own a Moto Droid and previously owned the n900. No one has done multitasking as well (or appear able to), it's the only phone with wireless charging, mobile hotspot is worth its weight in gold, synergy is indispensable if you have even 2 disparate accounts, and it's very close to Maemo WRT courting developers who hold open-source ideals close-to-heart.

Bottom line, you have a 30-day window to try any phone, take advantage of it. Try both the Pre and the Incredible.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I got the phone primarily because of the hotspot. This is my first smartphone. I planned on sticking with a dumb phone and an iPad but became rapidly disillusioned with the iPad and AT&T.

I love the phone and am a light user. I can easily do 24 hours on a charge. I still charge it every night to 100% and put it airplane mode while I sleep.

I have also downloaded two virtual keyboards, that are less efficient for me than the Pre keypad.
    Quote Originally Posted by zanix View Post
    I have been researching and reading reviews on this phone. I want to take the plunge and buy this phone. I just wanted to ask the community for their experiences with the phone. This will be my first smartphone. I currently use the Env3. My biggest hesitation is the keyboard and the battery life. There are 50/50 opinions on the keyboard as well as the battery. I did try the keyboard in the store and really don't think it is a deal breaker. But only using it for a few minutes it is hard to tell. I will not be a power user on it. Can anyone tell me their experiences with the keyboard and the battery life? I also recently heard that answering a call and texting is not simple to do. Can that be true?? Anything else you want to share would be greatly appreciated too! Thanks..
    zanix, I have large hands, (I weigh 231 setting here to give you an idea), and also went from the enV3 to the Palm Pre Plus. I will always miss that keyboard, it was the best on a cell I ever touched, and the relatively small keyboard on the Palm takes some getting used to, but personally - I experienced no real problems doing so. If you like laying on your back texting, don't look forward to it. The "form" of the phone lends itself to setting up holding it kind of flat in front of you.

I have six grandkids - 3 of them *love* to text their old Papa - between them, their parents, and friends of my own - I wind up responding to a LOAD of text messages and can do so quite handily with my Verizon Palm Pre Plus.

<RANT>
    Regarding that mobile Hotspot stuff - tons of people, (including some Verizon employees), are insanely assuming that you can give up your ISP - NO FREAKING WAY Jose! They need to learn about just how small those 5 "free" gigs of hotspot file transfer is when compared to what they normally transfer with their existing provider, watching movies/ads/streaming everything... When they run over 5 gigs running Hotspot and start paying 5 cents per meg overage they are "shocked" to get billed for it. (One complaining user on the Verizon forums put up a bill where he had run up an additional $200.00 on his phone bill saying "but you told me unlimited Internet and eMail"... Sorry for his situation - but mobile Hotspot on there is only free for the first 5 gigs - after that YOU PAY. Shoot, I'm worried about forgetting and leaving it on.. <sigh>
    </RANT>
    I agree with ****-richardson "you have a 30-day window to try any phone, take advantage of it." I just purchased a Pre Plus from Verizon yesterday and I am still a "noob" to webOS but if I personally don't like the device I'll pay the $35 restock fee and put the purchased price towards a different device. You also stated you are not a power user so this may be the device that turns you into one. My first smartphone was a BlackBerry Pearl 8130 from Verizon and that little thing started my addiction and power usage. With that in mind the Pre Plus along with the Pixi Plus has the opportunity to do the same thing for any user coming from a "dumb/feature phone like the enV. Either way hope you have fun with whatever you choose and keep us informed.
    (Sorry for the rant - had to go settle down for a spell).

After purchasing my Palm Pre Plus I was incredibly disappointed that it didn't respond to voice commands via bluetooth, (either via my headset or the parrot hands-free device installed in my pickup). After not having to worry about charging the battery on the enV3 until about 4 or 5 days had gone by, it was a shock to see how fast the battery discharged on my new "smartphone". Then I found out I couldn't do GPS unless I cracked another ten bucks a month to Verizon for VZNavigator. (At that time mobile Hotspot still cost $40 per month - the free stuff came out later on - I had no intention of using it).

But dangit - I fell in love with the phone and even more with WebOS!

I found this community and started reading - still having plenty of time before my 30 days were up - but I was sure eyeballing my Daughter's blackberry. The more I read, the more I did with the phone, and the more resolved I became to overcoming the problems.

1. Bought 2 Touchstones, one next to my notebook, one in my truck connected via a Palm car kit. I no longer feel like my phone has to have an USB "umbilical cord" attached to constantly "feed" it. (See Radio Shack and Best Buy current deals for a better price than I paid). I may eventually buy an after-market battery with greater than 1100mah capability, (let's see an iPhone owner say that). For now I'm OK.

2. Bought a "smarter" bluetooth headset that would itself respond to voice commands, interpret them and sent them to the Pre. (Blueant V1)

3. Verizon did away with the 40 buck robbery for mobile Hotspot and 5 gigs per month free. (I am an old WPP - I KNOW how much 5 gigs of data is).

4. VZWSupport has acknowledged the GPS/aGPS problem, (in kind of a side-ways manner IMO), and assured there is a fix in progress - release date unknown

5. Thanks to Pre|Central and the forums, I learned of WebOS Quick Install, Preware, and a gazillion (well not quite) patches and apps available for the Palm Pre/Pixi - HOOYAH!

It seems as though every time I tried to find a "deal-breaker", I either found a fix for it - or hope that it would "get fixed" in the near future.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwilliams268 View Post
    I agree with ****-richardson "you have a 30-day window to try any phone, take advantage of it." I just purchased a Pre Plus from Verizon yesterday and I am still a "noob" to webOS but if I personally don't like the device I'll pay the $35 restock fee and put the purchased price towards a different device. You also stated you are not a power user so this may be the device that turns you into one. My first smartphone was a BlackBerry Pearl 8130 from Verizon and that little thing started my addiction and power usage. With that in mind the Pre Plus along with the Pixi Plus has the opportunity to do the same thing for any user coming from a "dumb/feature phone like the enV. Either way hope you have fun with whatever you choose and keep us informed.

Yes, I will definitely let you guys know what I decide. Are any of you owners on your second or third replacement Pre Plus? I have been reading about the mass amounts of defective units/frozen screens. I don't want to go through that hassle either.
    I have a Pre Plus on Verizon, and came from a BB Curve 8330 on Alltel (merger made me a Verizon customer). The Curve generally had better battery life because it was a pain in the rear to use it the way I use my Pre. When I did use it that way, however (think using the browser a lot and playing some games - along with all the email and text messaging), the battery would get sucked down nearly as fast. All smartphones have poor battery life (several places have compared battery life in real world comparison tests, and the Pre is in the middle of the pack). Easiest way to truly compare smartphone battery life is via talk time as it pretty much represents the max power draw you would typically see from the phone under constant use.

As far as the returns go, I still have my first one (closing in on two months now). No physical phone issues (I think the keyboard still has software issues, but that's a Palm thing and they keep tweaking it - double typing is pretty much gone, but it will still miss letters in certain applications, but not all). The majority of hardware issues are with the original Pre. Many of the Pre Pluses appeared to have been returned due to the double letter typing which turned out to be software related. Also keep in mind that forums are a magnet for people reporting their problems. If you check around other phone forums, you'll find plenty of issues for pretty much every phone out there. The Pre doesn't have the greatest phone build quality, but mine, at least, is just as solid as my Curve, which is pretty impressive given that the Pre is a slider. My wife's new 8530 Curve feels cheap in comparison.

Try it out. You'll most likely love it. Most people who get one do. But no phone fits every person's needs or tastes. Try it out in the store. Try the apps and the keyboard and see if it suits. If it does, try it for 30 days. That's about the best advice I can give you.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I have a Verizon Pre Plus, and it's pretty nifty. The only issue I had was a loose battery that was causing the phone to randomly restart, but I cut down one of my business cards and put it between the battery and the battery cover, and it solved the problem completely. No more random restarts.

I really enjoy using the phone. Good luck.
    Answering calls, texting, web browsing, etc couldn't be easier. You won't find a better OS than WebOS. Period.

The one MAJOR flaw with this phone is it's lack of GPS. It's supposed to have GPS, but due to Verizon-specific issues, third party apps that require GPS fail to function properly. When using Google Maps, sometimes it'll take 10-15 minutes to find you, sometimes it won't find you at all, and much of the time when it finally does it find you it'll put you several miles away from actual location. SUPPOSEDLY Verizon is working on a fix for this, but refuse to give any specifics or potential time for release.

If GPS is something that you are really looking to use in your phone and really want Verizon, then the Pre Plus isn't for you. From all accounts, the GPS feature works flawlessly on Sprint and AT&T, so you may want to check them out.
    As of right now, only the Palm pre and pixi have the free mobile hot spot from Verizon. All other smart phones they sell do not include that offer. So yes, it is a great offer. Yes one can tether some of the other smartphones but it is against the TOS. I guess it would be easy to burn through 5GB of data if you are going to watch movies via hotspot, but most people do not. Because of the hotspot, i have multiple ways to get on the internet. Via the phone, or laptop or ipad. To me, it is probably the main reason why i switched to the pre plus. If that offer wasnt there, i would have never got this phone. Simple as that. I would have waited for the incredible, and rooted that and added the android app for hot spot. Plus i got the phone really cheap and only a one year contract.
    I switched from the BB Storm 1 to my Pre Plus primarily because of the mobile hot spot. I'd heard some good things about the phone, and the minute I got it I fell in love with it. That love turned to utter lust the day I found Preware and patches. There's no other phone out there that has that kind of community support that is actually approved of by the phone's maker.
    I came from the LG-Dare and this is my first smart phone (Pre Plus). I had no intention of getting a phone with a hardware keyboard as I had gotten used to the all touch screen phone at least that is what I thought. I will say this is an awesome phone and boy did I ever miss a physical keyboard. I just didn't know it until I had a phone with one again.

Good phone, great community, give it a try I am sure you will be happy.
  20. Xak
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    zanix - your post was essentially me as well when i started out with my pre plus about 3 weeks ago - to the "T." I've had flip phones forever, this was my first smartphone - have been on verizon for about 8 years now... The keyboard has been a non-issure on the whole, and although i didn't think it was a deal breaker either, i can confirm now that using it (more than i thought i would) has gone well enough with my fingers. I am not a power user either, but i find that with batt. life at 100% at 7AM , i'm between 50-30% remaining batt. life by 7 or 8PM depending on number of calls (i'm not on it a lot i'd say) and quite limited email checking... So yes, the batt. life reports i'd say are mostly valid - but, not a deal breaker for me. Just charge when you go to bed, and for i think $20, you can get a car charger. There are several techniques you can employ to successfully manage your batt. life even better than i do, and i'm aware of the concern. And while i wouldn't say that phone use/functions are "not simple" I would say it's a slightly to moderately different process. By the end of a few days, making calls was just fine. And for me, these were not, as you've said, deal breakers. I did replace the unit once for a mildly defective screen (at the end of the first week) and it was not a problem. And i then subsequently asked that the battery be replaced because it was CLEARLY draining too fast. Both issues were handled pretty well with the in-store Verizon ppl. So no biggie - sometimes electronics have issues. Got 'em replaced and things are smooth now.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast